Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 381061 times)

killsaly

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #1125 on: July 29, 2013, 03:40:27 pm »
I think the internet has pretty much killed the possibility of anything being "hip" or "underground". Everything is out there and available to whoever wants it.

Still, I bet most people haven't heard of more than a couple of bands on that list. And by most people, I mean American citizens, not your personal collection of city dwelling 20-something friends.
Not true James.  If anything, the internet made it EASIER to find out about underground bands.  True, the potential to actually reach an audience is greater with the digital distribution age.  But just because a band has an online presence doesnt mean it cant be underground or hip.  Or that because bands are online, they will automatically become huge.  Just because something exists doesnt mean that someone is going to find it (lots of crap to wade through to find the gems). 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1126 on: July 29, 2013, 03:50:18 pm »
every year there are blogs filled with people talking about how much they love or hate the lineup

and every year there are 50,000 people walking around having a fantastic time

I find it all wonderful
Not all 50,000 people have blogs!
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1127 on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »
I like persistent calls to make it bigger and go back to Pimlico... But I wouldn't attend anything that would require baking in the sun all day.  The pavalion + woods make it oh so much bearable.
T.Rex

Got Haggis?

« Reply #1128 on: July 29, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »
I think the internet has pretty much killed the possibility of anything being "hip" or "underground". Everything is out there and available to whoever wants it.

Still, I bet most people haven't heard of more than a couple of bands on that list. And by most people, I mean American citizens, not your personal collection of city dwelling 20-something friends.

Paton Oswalt wrote a pretty good article about this ... more centered on geek culture, but the internet really has made it too easy for people for certain things http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1129 on: July 29, 2013, 04:29:45 pm »
are you not though assuming, james, that just because something "is out there" no matter what type of media machine it is offered on, that people will take the effort to see it or have interest in it enough to adopt it as style?  everything, including what is hip/different or cool/trendy is that way because most people dont know about it, no matter what era of time it has existed in.  one day the lady at the local farm coop store i shop at for fresh farm eggs, told me "that hipsters are nothing more than the beatnicks of today, because every generation has to have the ones that want to be different.  and good for them, because my husband and i are pretty different ourselves for wanting to run this store for farmers because we believe in farmers."  she was pretty much, dead on.

Unsanity

« Reply #1130 on: July 29, 2013, 04:41:06 pm »
This line up is not really my cup of tea. I will still try and get tix. I kinda want to see Chvrches, Washed Out, The Avett Brothers and Back Joe Lewis. Why is there no "retro" act this year?

moeszyslak

« Reply #1131 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:28 pm »
I am happy with the line up, it is always a great time.  I was secretly hoping for Earth Wind and Fire just for that "21st night of September" lyric.  Maybe they can play it on the speakers during a change over. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2013, 05:13:23 pm »
This line up is not really my cup of tea. I will still try and get tix. I kinda want to see Chvrches, Washed Out, The Avett Brothers and Back Joe Lewis. Why is there no "retro" act this year?
Becuase no one is old anymore, dude.
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1133 on: July 29, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »
dudearoni . . . everyone is old compared to the younger person, judging you, which im sure a lot of that will be going on at this affair.  do the youngsters still say "boss" when something is like you know, boss?

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »

had some cool ideas that didn't work out

don't want to book something just to follow a formula

there is still a spot for it should something inspire

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1135 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02:18 pm »
i can think of one.

Unsanity

« Reply #1136 on: July 30, 2013, 03:58:49 am »
Thanks for the response Seth. I hope you find something suitable! I'm down for a surprise performance or two!

Here's the thing

« Reply #1137 on: July 30, 2013, 06:35:53 am »
I am an old guy, and can't wait to go. There are 3 bands that I know that I will enjoy, two more that sound promising, and I bet I will like a couple of others when I see them. Plus, it is fun to watch all of the young whipper snappers dancing.

James Ford

« Reply #1138 on: July 30, 2013, 08:28:42 am »
I guess Black Joe Lewis is the token "black act" this year(?)

Does Hutch approve?

Yada

« Reply #1139 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:09 am »
Anyone not going have any interest in snagging me two tickets? I'll be unavailable during the onsale.

Thanks!!