Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377320 times)

atomicfront

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #1140 on: July 30, 2013, 09:48:45 am »
Boring boring boring.

Coming from someone who went to the Dylan, Wilco, MMJ show...

atomicfront

« Reply #1141 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:22 am »
Vampire Weekend, the Avett Brothers, Pretty Lights, Robin Thicke, MGMT, Kaskade, City and Colour, Icona Pop, Chvrches, The Knocks, Black Joe Lewis, Sky Ferreira and Little Green Cars. In the dance forest, Madeon, Gareth Emery, Washed Out, Manufactured Superstars, Congorock, TJR and Ghost Beach will bang out the beats.

I'm up for Sky Ferreira and Little Green Cars,  but beyond that...

MGMT and Avett Brothers are awesome.  Vampire Weekend, Washed Out and Chvrches are the only other bands of that I have heard of on the line-up.  THey are decent.  I have to check out the other bands as well.  Avett Brothers, MGMT, and Vampire Weekend have all headlined MPP recently.  This is the biggest line-up of the Virgin line-up since it moved from Pimlico.  So it is definitely a step-up.

hutch

« Reply #1142 on: July 30, 2013, 10:20:55 am »
I guess Black Joe Lewis is the token "black act" this year(?)

Does Hutch approve?

i don't think by my own arguments merriweather in columbia need anything but lily white acts and i think they're doing it well..

the lineup is great... for other people.. i have no interest in this.. but that doesn't mean anything

hutch

« Reply #1143 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:32 am »
Boring boring boring.

I know you will not believe me but Dylan was great... I'm very glad I went... and the pit ticket worked out just like I wanted.. for the first time I was close enough to stalk Bob.... ;D

atomicfront

« Reply #1144 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
Boring boring boring.

I know you will not believe me but Dylan was great... I'm very glad I went... and the pit ticket worked out just like I wanted.. for the first time I was close enough to stalk Bob.... ;D

I have never seen Dylan but I have MMJ and Wilco more than once and they are definitely both boring. 

hutch

« Reply #1145 on: July 30, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
Boring boring boring.

I have never seen Dylan but I have MMJ and Wilco more than once and they are definitely both boring. 

I've seen MMJ three times now and Wilco at least seven...

...and I'm not going to disagree with you....

I think Wilco was a very fun live band until they got rid of Jay Bennett.. now they bore me.... but people love them...

brennser

« Reply #1146 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:18 am »
MGMT and Avett Brothers are awesome.  Vampire Weekend, Washed Out and Chvrches are the only other bands of that I have heard of on the line-up. 

While I'm slightly biased because they are kinda sorta related to me Little Green Cars are fantastic - their album is a dead cert for inclusion in my top 10 list at the end of the year

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1147 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:31 pm »
MGMT and Avett Brothers are awesome.  Vampire Weekend, Washed Out and Chvrches are the only other bands of that I have heard of on the line-up. 

While I'm slightly biased because they are kinda sorta related to me Little Green Cars are fantastic - their album is a dead cert for inclusion in my top 10 list at the end of the year

Stalker clause?  I rather like that album as well, although it loses steam about half way in, the fun. autotuned (tm) track sounds like something decided by the record company.  and then there is the track that sounds like Kansas. 
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #1148 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:08 pm »
Boring boring boring.

I think Wilco was a very fun live band until they got rid of Jay Bennett.. now they bore me.... but people love them...

Wilco's music is sentimental to me, and I always like seeing them.  They are perfect summer listening.

Dylan is boring?  News to me.  One of the best songwriters ever.

MMJ?  They were boring.  But, his voice is nice...

I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to CVurches..or however you spell it.  Heinous.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1149 on: July 30, 2013, 12:09:23 pm »
i challenge you . . . i want to meet you, play that band, and then watch you stab yourself in the eye.

atomicfront

« Reply #1150 on: July 30, 2013, 12:38:45 pm »
Boring boring boring.

Wilco's music is sentimental to me, and I always like seeing them.  They are perfect summer listening.

Dylan is boring?  News to me.  One of the best songwriters ever.

MMJ?  They were boring.  But, his voice is nice...

I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to CVurches..or however you spell it.  Heinous.

I will agree that Jim James voice is awesome.  I was thinking that he should sing Bob Dylan songs for Bob Dylan.  Jim James knows no restraint.  I thought at Newport Folk Festival he would show restraint but it was the same guitar solos and drum solo bs.  Then I saw him at the after show with Dawes, Father John Misty and Langhorne Slim and he sang "Hungry Heart" and then "Lean on me" and he was incredible.  I was like Bruce Springteen couldn't have sung it half as well. 

I actually saw MMJ with a symphony once and the put on a fantastic show but I guess they were limited to an hour and he couldn't just jam out with the symphony there and just sang his pop songs. 

K8teebug

« Reply #1151 on: July 30, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »
i challenge you . . . i want to meet you, play that band, and then watch you stab yourself in the eye.

Well I do have an ample supply of knitting needles.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1152 on: July 30, 2013, 05:04:47 pm »
totally off subject, speaking of that . . . has anybody heard of the mariknitting?  i think i heard somebody talking about it, but i could not tell if it was real or not.  they said that groups of people, it supposedly is big in ny, sit around in knitting circles and smoke pot, and like be one together or some such logic, while knitting.  that sounds weird, dude.

atomicfront

« Reply #1153 on: July 30, 2013, 05:40:04 pm »
I like persistent calls to make it bigger and go back to Pimlico... But I wouldn't attend anything that would require baking in the sun all day.  The pavalion + woods make it oh so much bearable.

It is at the end of September...

hutch

« Reply #1154 on: July 30, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
you just can't compare pimlico to merriweather...the event has totally changed.. we've gone from having the who, the police, the stooges to a bunch of no-names... they used to get big acts... then there was a brief transition where they still had a big act or two.. now its all bands that would play the club.. pimlico was sort of like a local lolla...this is a mini-festival for the kiddies with  mainly up and coming bands..

except for robin thicke..doesn't he have the number one song in the country for the past three years?