Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1439859 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
(I was going call this Tiger Blood edition, but thought better of it)

Re: The Cars

They weren't terrible in concert in their heyday, just did rather lifeless versions of their songs live.  They managed to write catchy Middle of the Road pop songs that sounded great on the radio, or seen in video form.  But live they pretty much just went through the motions recreating their recorded material.

Plus, with the passing of Benjamin Orr they lost the singer who sang lead on a good number of their biggest hits.

Regardless, there is plenty of evidence of them live during the 80s and they were pretty much the Arctic Monkey's of their time...
T.Rex

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
The Cars were my first non Merriweather concert back in the late 70's.  Saw them at the Capital Center and again at Merriweather.  Loved their early albums up to Panorama.  After that they got a little too poppy. But you hit the nail on the head regarding their live shows.  They just recreated the album versions of their songs with no stage presence.  And your Arctic Monkeys analogy is spot-on.  But who knows....maybe they've changed.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:26:12 am »
Changed for the better, performance-wise, after aging 25 years?  Doubtful.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:26:32 am »

I don't get the Arctic Monkeys analogy.  "They were the Arctic Monkeys of their time."  Meaning......they were discovered after posting tunes on MySpace?

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:38:44 am »
Don't get me wrong "Drive" is  one of the best pop ballads ever written, but is Ocasek going to sing it live?  And can you imagine the sight of a bunch of 40somethings dry humping when they play it.

The newer singles have the feel of their earlier records, but then again Ocasek's song were always the more new waver of their material.

I had forgotten that it was "The New Cars" that were touring recently, with Todd Rundgren taking the vocals duties....

oh well I'm sure those that will attend will wave their mobiles and take lots of pictures of four or more dudes on stage... i'm guessing the twitter traffic from the show will be lower  ;D
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:22 am »
Did I say Arctic Monkeys?  I meant The Strokes....
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:48:30 am »
I don't understand the criticism..

If you dont' like the Cars obviously there is no point to going to the show.. but if you really like their classic albums (not "middle of the road" as Kosmo wrote) which were pretty innovative for their time... they were arguably one of the first new wave bands actually...they had roots in the modern lovers..  well if you really like the classic stuff then and if it means something to you , yes, seeing 4 of the original 5 live would be pretty special... they can't help it ben orr died and from everything i've read ric is very respectful of ben orr's role with the band..

as far as singing ben's songs i think ric can do it.. honestly- and its probably just me- half the time with the cars i can't tell who is singing... but who knows how many ben songs they will do

obviously its the cars. not led zeppelin..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:58:47 am »
Who said I didn't like the Cars?  I owned their albums when they first came out, saw them a couple live, etc... I'm just sayin' they were pretty dull in concert

Plus if you compare The Cars verses say Devo then I'm going to call them middle of the road... and a drummer who played in the Modern Lovers is hardly what I'd call roots.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04:32 am »
just added to my bucket list, mocking Strokes fans excited to see them when they hit Jammin' Java in 20 years...
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:26:28 am »
Who said I didn't like the Cars?  I owned their albums when they first came out, saw them a couple live, etc... I'm just sayin' they were pretty dull in concert

Plus if you compare The Cars verses say Devo then I'm going to call them middle of the road... and a drummer who played in the Modern Lovers is hardly what I'd call roots.

well maybe they were dull.. what do i know..

just saying if you like the Cars I think you'd enjoy seeing them...thats all.

i think thats a truism

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:27:56 am »
Did I say Arctic Monkeys?  I meant The Strokes....

I didn't get the AM reference either. The Strokes makes much more sense.
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:42:09 am »
An Arctic Monkey's show is often described as songs played with little fanfare and much like as recorded in the studio.  I once went to see the Cardigans and my response was I could have stayed home and put on the CD and giggled the cover for pretty much the same experience.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »
An Arctic Monkey's show is often described as songs played with little fanfare and much like as recorded in the studio. 

yup. AM @ the club was one of the dullest performances i've ever attended.  and they were pissy on top of it.  horrible, boring show. 
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »
An Arctic Monkey's show is often described as songs played with little fanfare and much like as recorded in the studio. 

yup. AM @ the club was one of the dullest performances i've ever attended.  and they were pissy on top of it.  horrible, boring show. 

I saw them twice. Neither time had a lot of jump-around showmanship, but the first 9:30 show sounded so great that it was really cool. THe second show was totally a barely-going-through-the-motions affair and it blew.
oword

blipvurt

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
Sweetcell - which AM show did you go to that was so "horrible" the first or the second?

I totally disagree with the comments that the AMs put on a boring show. I think they are quite brilliant live. The first show at 930 and at Coachella were fantastic fun and their second 930 show demonstrated a depth to their music that went beyond them being just another puff-pop act. Although the crowd seemed unwilling to accept them evolving as a band and pulled the usual pouting/talking through the new songs routine.

Review of the second 930 Club show:
http://www.welovedc.com/2009/12/11/we-love-music-all-the-pretty-visitors/