> GENERAL DISCUSSION

Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition

(1/950) > >>

kosmo vinyl:
(I was going call this Tiger Blood edition, but thought better of it)

Re: The Cars

They weren't terrible in concert in their heyday, just did rather lifeless versions of their songs live.  They managed to write catchy Middle of the Road pop songs that sounded great on the radio, or seen in video form.  But live they pretty much just went through the motions recreating their recorded material.

Plus, with the passing of Benjamin Orr they lost the singer who sang lead on a good number of their biggest hits.

Regardless, there is plenty of evidence of them live during the 80s and they were pretty much the Arctic Monkey's of their time...

Cock Van Der Palm:
The Cars were my first non Merriweather concert back in the late 70's.  Saw them at the Capital Center and again at Merriweather.  Loved their early albums up to Panorama.  After that they got a little too poppy. But you hit the nail on the head regarding their live shows.  They just recreated the album versions of their songs with no stage presence.  And your Arctic Monkeys analogy is spot-on.  But who knows....maybe they've changed.

StoneTheCrow:
Changed for the better, performance-wise, after aging 25 years?  Doubtful.

Brian_Wallace:

I don't get the Arctic Monkeys analogy.  "They were the Arctic Monkeys of their time."  Meaning......they were discovered after posting tunes on MySpace?

Brian

kosmo vinyl:
Don't get me wrong "Drive" is  one of the best pop ballads ever written, but is Ocasek going to sing it live?  And can you imagine the sight of a bunch of 40somethings dry humping when they play it.

The newer singles have the feel of their earlier records, but then again Ocasek's song were always the more new waver of their material.

I had forgotten that it was "The New Cars" that were touring recently, with Todd Rundgren taking the vocals duties....

oh well I'm sure those that will attend will wave their mobiles and take lots of pictures of four or more dudes on stage... i'm guessing the twitter traffic from the show will be lower  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version