Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443391 times)

ggw

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »
The first Arctic Monkeys show at the 9:30 wasn't bad. They were definitely very "business" like, but they sounded good.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »
the last 930 Arctic Monkeys show was very good.....I enjoyed it.
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:57 am »
I agree on the AM being one of the most boring shows. I guess I had expected so much more, but they were just bland.

BUT - if you give me Alex's other band - The Last Shadow Puppets - they are insanely awesome live. Maybe the addition of Miles Kane is the missing link.

An Arctic Monkey's show is often described as songs played with little fanfare and much like as recorded in the studio. 

yup. AM @ the club was one of the dullest performances i've ever attended.  and they were pissy on top of it.  horrible, boring show. 
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »
Sweetcell - which AM show did you go to that was so "horrible" the first or the second?

it was the first - 2007?  def wasn't the 2009 show.
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »

But what's the difference between seeing The Arctic Monkeys live and Death Cab for Cutie live?  Both don't do much on stage.  Both sound a lot like their records.  The Arctic Monkeys MUSIC is actually EXCITING whereas Death Cab For Cutie's music is actually ANESTHETIZING.

It's just like LCD Soundsystem and The Black Eyed Peas.  What makes one any more special than the other?  It's both dance music.  It's music made to shake your ass.  LCD has more snarky, studied irony but that never helped anyone get down.

It's the whole: "But the person making the music is JUST LIKE ME!  An over-educated grad student who would rather watch and snark than participate!"

"Rock critics like Elvis Costello because rock critics look like Elvis Costello." - David Lee Roth

Brian

bearman🐻

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:50 pm »
I have seen the Arctic Monkeys live a couple times, I'm definitely sitting this one out. They remind me of the first couple times I saw Oasis. Dull, dull, dull, but the songs were performed well and sounded fine. But at the end of the day, there's very little incentive to go back a third time. Death Cab is a band I actually enjoy seeing though. I'll be glad to check them out again.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:45:05 pm »
so......about the Dinosaur Jr show. Great opening act (would pay to see them headline again).  And that's one of the better records for them to play, for sure.  But Henry Rollins doing an interview with the band before the set?  Seriously?  Why?

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 04:09:00 pm »
so......about the Dinosaur Jr show. Great opening act (would pay to see them headline again).  And that's one of the better records for them to play, for sure.  But Henry Rollins doing an interview with the band before the set?  Seriously?  Why?

Because he's Alt Nation's James Lipton, that's why.

Brian

ggw

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »
Just out of curiosity, I searched google images for "Brian Wallace". 

The second picture is closest to what I imagine our Brian Wallace looking like.  The fact that the photo comes from a website connecting prison inmates with penpals is just an added bonus.

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »

HR: SO JAY, ARE YOU READY TO GET INTENSE? I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS BLOWN AWAY SINCE COCK CHENEY SHOT ME IN THE FACE
JM: iunno mumble mumble i guess uh.... uh... mm. wassa'question again?
HR: FUCK YEAH! I HATE PEOPLE AND YET AM CONSTANTLY IN THE PUBLIC EYE!
JM: [weeps softly; pets hair]
HR: [gives birth]
oword

wml7

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
Just out of curiosity, I searched google images for "Brian Wallace". 

The second picture is closest to what I imagine our Brian Wallace looking like.  The fact that the photo comes from a website connecting prison inmates with penpals is just an added bonus.

haha, this is hilarious  ;D

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 05:56:53 pm »

Agreed, this seems silly.  The only acceptable use of a question and answer segment in a show is Shellac, who seem to give the audience chances to ask them questions just to berate people for asking stupid questions.

blipvurt

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:02:19 am »
Agreed on Shellac, but Thee Silver Mt. Zion have pretty funny Q&A's during their shows too.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
The second picture is closest to what I imagine our Brian Wallace looking like. 

#4 is my candidate for most brian-like.  that pic also looks a little like rolllins.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 10:16:37 am »
Not when the subject of Vic Chesnutt comes up like it did last year

... but Thee Silver Mt. Zion have pretty funny Q&A's during their shows too.
(_|_)