Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443566 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:51 am »
go to ticketmaster directly and search for the show.

bryan ferry presale link not working.. come on guys.

thanks!

yah i had worked it out by the time i posted my original comment..just think the 930 should send a working link..

i did lose a few minutes though...there's even a ticketfly page been created

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2011, 02:39:13 pm »
not guilty

<checks news websites to confirm what this is about>

who the fuck cares.  anyone who followed this story and thinks it was important is a media lemming.  this legal sensationalism/voyeurism is disgusting. 
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
Ok gotta unearth this thread...

I think it's a brilliant move on the Clubs part to announce so many so shows prior to the launch of that other venue show announcements, if anything it means people will have already bought tickets for shows at the club

the two page ad in the Express was very impressive today...
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »
Ok gotta unearth this thread...

I think it's a brilliant move on the Clubs part to announce so many so shows prior to the launch of that other venue show announcements, if anything it means people will have already bought tickets for shows at the club

the two page ad in the Express was very impressive today...

i think your post represents a conflict of interest...being an administrator and all.. ;D

but there is no doubt that IMP has been for a few years now increasingly creaming Live Nation... I mean even the bigger shows seem to increasingly be IMP (Soundgarden) in the DC market...

i mean just look at the crap (and how few bookings) they have at Jiffy Lube... even the warner this year has barely had any music (so far).... and the rumblings I've heard about the Fillmore are that the acts aren't all that and a bag of chips...although maybe they aim to start slowly..

I'm not sure if I think increased competition for IMP would raise ticket prices or lower them so I'm not sure what I want the ultimate outcome to be... All other things being equal I tend to think more venues is better for DC..

of course none of this addresses the issue of subsidies for SS FIllmore...

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2011, 07:55:32 pm »
Okay, so it's my turn to do a little ass kissing.

YOU GO, SETH!!!!!

Besides having the best music promotions business, I just LOVE how you kick corporate ass!!!

There are good businesses and corporations and then there are bad and we all know here which is which.

Hutch, I agree that more venues is good, and even Seth has said the very same thing in the past. The issue, as you seem to be aware of by your last statement, is how all this was done. This wasn't just a new venue moving into town. This was a dirty political dealing, at the already strained tax payers' expense. Also stunk of doing dirty business by trying to squealch any of the others, probably also at the expense of the musicians themselves as it's public knowledge how Live Nation controls it's bands.

shemptiness

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2011, 09:26:53 pm »
people at concerts nowadays sure can be rude to total strangers.  i think they've all been conditioned by the "safeness by computer screens" so they think they can say whatever to anybody.

went to see pat benatar . . . and man, there are some really out of shape fat guys who think they can just say what they want to people at concerts.  and boy they get upset when you hear what they said and stare at them.  no wonder serial killers exist.  some people really do suck. 

Agreed.  I've never seen a skinny hipster display this behavior.  Damn those rude, out of shape fat guys.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:04 am »
people at concerts nowadays sure can be rude to total strangers.  i think they've all been conditioned by the "safeness by computer screens" so they think they can say whatever to anybody.

went to see pat benatar . . . and man, there are some really out of shape fat guys who think they can just say what they want to people at concerts.  and boy they get upset when you hear what they said and stare at them.  no wonder serial killers exist.  some people really do suck. 

Agreed.  I've never seen a skinny hipster display this behavior.  Damn those rude, out of shape fat guys.

actually it was a toss up . . . there was a skinny guy too being an ass . . . but his assholiness also was fueled by his horrible attempts to hit on two chatter whores behind me.  the larger guy was being more an asshole, so i singled him out.  how rude of me.

imbecile

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2011, 08:54:36 am »
VNV Nation
12/6

cool.

Wow, may have to check this out.  Haven't seen them since the Capital Ballroom closed.. or whatever it changed it's name to.

Speaking of that place, and the above comments about more venues the merrier.  Whatever happened to these guys once they got bought by ballpark developers.  Did they open a new venue, or go the club route, which seems to be where that place was heading anyway with all the dance nights.. or did they just get out of promotion/clubs/entertaining in general?  Anyone know?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:50 pm »
Foo Fighters with Social Distortion & The Joy Formidable
11/11/11
Verizon Center
Tickets on sale Friday at 10am
Presale Wednesday

This will be a very good show.  Foo Fighters were awesome at Lolla with them playing thru a rain storm.  Also holy crap is Joy Formidable awesome or what?  That lead singer can wail and plays a mean guitar.  I was very impressed by them.  Might try to get tickets for this show if I can get tickets for pit.  ;D

It doesn't matter (quiet) if you're playing through (shhhhh!) a Category 5 hurricane if all you're (soft) playing is:

WARMED-OVER! (drums!)
3rd RATE! (agro!)
CANDLEBOX (Dude!)
RETREADS! (Screaming now! Drum break!)

You can't polish a turd.

Brian

you know my good man . . . i like pearl jam.  i'm not sure of your opinion of pearl jam, seeing how your views on pink floyd and springsteen (two other artists i like) are past entires of enjoyable text.  but when i saw pearl jam at verizon, though i had great seats, row a next to the floor . . . i thought the extreme presence of the venue ruined the effect of the band.  foo fighters . . . ehh, they're ok enough for this generation of good rock music, which barely exists.  foo fighters at venues like verizon, no way.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:14:36 pm by walkonby »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
big nono in any world, whether real or in the entertainment zone, the gay guy should never bash the guy who could kick your ass.  but anderson is indeed . . . the "grey fox."  still, at his age?  wow.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:11 pm »
big nono in any world, whether real or in the entertainment zone, the gay guy should never bash the guy who could kick your ass.  but anderson is indeed . . . the "grey fox."  still, at his age?  wow.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mom-and-dad-im-gay-and-also-stronger-than-both-of,21017/

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »
I just hope the DC crowd is not as painfully lame and small as the most recent DC Jesus Lizard crowd.

scratch acid vs JL: lower name recognition, put out fewer albums, and are a more distant memory... you tell me how big the crowd is going to be  :-\
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2011, 05:28:59 pm »
Yeah, you're most likely right.

11/4 is a Friday though so that's something? Maybe?

Yeah I know I am reaching.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »
I think the stereotype is exaggerated 99% of the time but that night might have  been the worst crowd I experienced in all my show going years at the club.

theories that come to mind:

a) for those of us who go to too many shows, the lame ones stick out disproportionately.  we have this expectation that every single show is supposed to be amazing. 

b) DC is a smaller market than, say, NYC, with whom we insist on comparing ourselves with.  when a band play a 1,200-person venue in NYC there will be a higher proportion of "hardcore fans". 

c) joe.
<sig>