Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443372 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
Yeah, I really want to catch them early on with their new singer.  They claim they will be able to tour a lot more than they used to now (and they weren't making a dig at KC or Brian).

Kevin was great.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »
Yup, Kevin is a family man, 3 little kids at home. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »
Only have been there a couple times for lunch. It is a small restaurant. I guess they take the tables out during shows?
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »
Alcest
3/28
Golden West Cafe

This one has me torn. Wonder what sort of a mix will be in his set? Mostly new stuff, I would assume but also a bit leery for fear that it might be too evil demon sounding for all the bother it would take me to get there.

Weird how this guy's music either sounds like a gift from the gods or the shoegaze from Hell.

Have to go study our events calendar to see what the likelihood is that I can reasonably request a little bulk of time off to come up for the show.

Niege as a cat:
(The guy behind Alcest)

I like his take on black metal. Sure, he screams but he clearly isn't going for the dark, satanic, demonic, etc. vibe with it at all (not that I can't get behind a good bit of that too). Musically, I think the heavy stuff is just as uplifting as the straightforward post-rocky/shoegazy stuff is.

I even read an interview not that long ago where he essentially said the same thing and expressed frustration and dismay with those who think he is trying to create a dark mood with the metal stuff. Listening to Le Secret right now and I honestly think it is pretty blissful.
احمد

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:42 am »
Only have been there a couple times for lunch. It is a small restaurant. I guess they take the tables out during shows?

Any idea what the Long Bar is that they refer to on the website?  Separate room or the same room as the restaurant?

Only seen pics of the restaurant so it's kinda hard to imagine them having a band in there with the booths and stuff.  Would be kinda Iota-like, I guess?

groovyside

« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2012, 04:34:46 pm »
Golden West is a restaurant during the day/evening and then they move all/most of the tables out from one side and have shows at night.  Shows typically start around 10 PM (so, yes, it can be a late night if you're driving up from DC and staying through the headliners).  They do still have the kitchen open, at least for a little while, when they have bands play, and they've got a good vegetarian/vegan selection (as well as meaty stuff for all you omnivores)-- just place your order at the bar.

It's a good space; I've seen a couple of shows there (Indian, Batillus, Thou, the Body).  Sound is usually pretty good.  No real "stage lights", so it's difficult to photograph without a flash, if you're into that.

For Alcest, though, I'll probably stick to the DC show since Auroboros (ex-Baroness/Salome) is opening here.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Will definitely be a long evening.

James Ford

« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »
no fucking way should cinderella be headlining over ratt.

bearman🐻

« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »
I remember when Mother's Milk by the RHCP came out, it was actually a pretty decent LP and I enjoyed some of it. Then again, I was 13 so there ya go. Wasn't much of a fan of BloodSugarSexMagik.

wml7

« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:19 pm »
I have seen the fuckers once at the first Vfest, they were ok.  Don't be surprised if Sethy books them for this years  ;D

Mobius

« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:02 am »
RHCP became John Frusciante's band.  He's a genius and he brought out the best (and serious/spiritual) of Flea, and Chad Smith kept it real, like the drummer equivalent of VH Michael Anthony.  Kiedis was almost reduced to a sideman but always valuable in bringing the essential LA vibe at the heart of their whatever.  With Frusiciante gone, the muse is gone, and as was the case in 94-95, the operation would appear to crumble into pointlessness.

James Ford

« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:40 am »
You have me beat!

Now that i piece together the distant past, I remember seeing them at my school in 1987 or early 1988. Thought they were fun live (no tube socks). Maybe I just enjoyed the close-as-I-was-going-to-get-to-an-orgy feeling of being in the mosh pit with my fellow sweaty college boys and girls. I went back and listened to Uplift Mofro Part Plan (from 1987) last night. And while I can't say it's something I would listen to now, and I can see why I liked it then (same goes for the Beastie Boys).

I saw them again in 1991 at a college hockey arena (with a then unknown Pearl Jam and a somewhat unknown Smashing Pumpkins opening), and was so unenthused I left half way through their (and SP, I arrived late and missed nearly all of PJ) set, stopped listening to "alternative" music altogether, and dove into Americana.

So thank you RHCP for opening the doors to where I am today!

Posted by Jaguar:

At the risk of sounding extra old; on my birthday, at that; me and the Shitty Peppers go way back to about 1982. They played a small club in Baltimore and even saw them not long afterwards on some late night show not long after that. I remember everyone saying how bad they were but couldn't stop talking about the strip down they were well known for. If I remember correctly, they were wearing Nazi regalia while onstage. They were pretty humble and scared teenagers off stage which is kind of funny when you think about it.

hutch

« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:29 am »
Saw them in Argentina in 2002 in the midst of the economic depression down there...only major band that wasn't just into it for the money and bailed. Keith famously said "the only way we could play here is as a charity case..ha ha..."..course as soon as things turned around the stones were back (2006)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:31 am »
I saw them again in 1991 at a college hockey arena (with a then unknown Pearl Jam and a somewhat unknown Smashing Pumpkins opening)

the flannel must have been intense at this show
(o|o)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:37 pm »
maybe it is just me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw&feature=g-logo&context=G2343ce6FOAAAAAAANAA

but they make the best videos right now.

oops .  . . . very much NSFW!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:00:28 pm by walkonby »