Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443977 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2012, 11:12:54 am »
I imagine the first thing non-locals think when they hear that a show is in Silver Spring, MD is "Where the hell is that?"   Maybe acts think the draw is better  in a big city rather than a suburb they know nothing about?   I don't know - It was just a random thought.

Why would this be the case?

I wonder if they're having a hard time getting better acts because of being outside of the city? 

James Ford

« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2012, 11:19:15 am »
Do acts that play spaces the size of the Fillmore and the 9:30 book their own shows?

Seth must just be offering free hotel rooms, hotter hookers, and better blow.

I imagine the first thing non-locals think when they hear that a show is in Silver Spring, MD is "Where the hell is that?"   Maybe acts think the draw is better  in a big city rather than a suburb they know nothing about?   I don't know - It was just a random thought.

Why would this be the case?

I wonder if they're having a hard time getting better acts because of being outside of the city? 

azaghal1981

« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:08 am »
My, how times have changed. Conor Oberst playing Live Nation shows.

FILLMORE SILVER SPRING
* Wednesday, 1 August 2012 - Static X, Prong, Davey Suicide, and 9Electric
* Friday, 31 August 2012 - August Burns Red, the Color Morale, and Overseer

WARNER THEATRE
* Thursday, 15 November 2012 - Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes)

6th AND I
* Thursday, 27 September 2012 - Beth Orton
* Tuesday, 30 October 2012 - Xavier Rudd

احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
 I highly doubt being outside the city is what is causing acts to not want to play there.  MPP gets bigger acts than either place so there goes that theory.

I am sure it is building relationships with booking agents,  amount of money bands get, potential to be promoted at bigger venues by IMP in the future.  And Live Nation not really knowing what they were doing.  Didn't live nation used to run Rams Head Live?  how did that work out? 

atomicfront

« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
My, how times have changed. Conor Oberst playing Live Nation shows.

FILLMORE SILVER SPRING
* Wednesday, 1 August 2012 - Static X, Prong, Davey Suicide, and 9Electric
* Friday, 31 August 2012 - August Burns Red, the Color Morale, and Overseer

WARNER THEATRE
* Thursday, 15 November 2012 - Conor Oberst (of Bright Eyes)

6th AND I
* Thursday, 27 September 2012 - Beth Orton
* Tuesday, 30 October 2012 - Xavier Rudd

Well Warner theater is a nice venue.  I remember when IMP regularly booked bands there.  I think that was my favorite place to see a show in DC.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2012, 01:44:14 pm »
Being out if the city was a concern back in the day. Or at least people claimed it was when I wrote a paper about it in college.

Who knows. I wish I could just laugh at the Fillmore but being a county taxpayer makes it tough.

hutch

« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
I don't think bands really care where they play.. they play for money... based on the acts the Fillmore is getting it seems like they're not paying much if at all...  a lot of those shows they are probably not paying anything.. I mean Nayas? I'm glad to see them playing a good sized venue but they are a small local latin rock/reggae band.

It doesn't seem like the FIllmore in Silver Spring is doing much differently from their venue in NYC (Irvign Plaza)... I notice that B52s andn Jesus and the Mary Chain are both playing Irving.. JAMC is actually playing two shows at 45 a ticket... It seems to me that they must have felt it was risky having them play the Fillmore and the 930 mus t have made them a better offer because somehow I don't think the Reid brothers care much about where they're playing although maybe they have fond memories of the 930 club? ....the show has not sold out I believe..B52s is at Wolftrap packaged with Squeeze.

Live Nation seems to have become rather risk averse.. they're just not booking much anywhere.. not at Jiffy Lube, not at the Warner and not at the Fillmore.. not at the Irving Plaza in NYC etc.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:09:18 pm by hutch »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #337 on: September 07, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »
There must be something in the water, as it's been awhile since I've been excited by a number of upcoming shows at once.  Maybe some of my favorite bands all got together to ensure I left the house more often or something....

Anyways, excited for

Bigger Lovers in Philly
Saint Etienne
Ash
Sloan
Carl Craig
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #338 on: September 07, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »
and several broken link CAPTCHs on the ticketsalternative site was really getting on my nerves today..
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #339 on: September 07, 2012, 12:41:50 pm »
You can catch a free Yo La Tengo show in Philly tomorrow before the Bigger Lovers show...

There must be something in the water, as it's been awhile since I've been excited by a number of upcoming shows at once.  Maybe some of my favorite bands all got together to ensure I left the house more often or something....

Anyways, excited for

Bigger Lovers in Philly
Saint Etienne
Ash
Sloan
Carl Craig
(_|_)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:36 am »
and frank turner before yo la tengo.  i'm leaving soon.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #341 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »
Anyone know if Mumford and Sons gets played on WAMU?  It being one of the few stations that play bluegrass.

Mumford and Sons fans seem to have the same thin skin as Coldplay fans do....
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #342 on: November 08, 2012, 04:35:06 pm »
ewwww

I tried to purchase tickets at exactly at 10AM this morning for Mumford and Sons and entered the security code and it was maybe 20 seconds after 10 and I got no tickets are left message.   

ewww?  says the guy who liked on FB/entered a contest/begged for ani difranco tickets?!?
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37:31 pm »
ewwww

I tried to purchase tickets at exactly at 10AM this morning for Mumford and Sons and entered the security code and it was maybe 20 seconds after 10 and I got no tickets are left message.   

ewww?  says the guy who liked on FB/entered a contest/begged for ani difranco tickets?!?

Says the guy who's seen Muse twice
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »
Man i just got called out by proxy.... Full Disclosure I've been known to listen to SexyBack  2 or 3 times in a row... so Mumford and Sons fans can carry on...
T.Rex