Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443435 times)

Yada

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #600 on: January 04, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »

yeah but every band that is popular instantly after first album is released they are super negative about: Mumford and Sons, Killers, Keane, Coldplay, Of Monsters and Men, Foster the People.  If you playing big venues shortly after your debut there is this attitude toward them.

those are some terrible bands right there and other than Coldplay, these bands will not exist in 10 years.

atomicfront

« Reply #601 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

yeah but every band that is popular instantly after first album is released they are super negative about: Mumford and Sons, Killers, Keane, Coldplay, Of Monsters and Men, Foster the People.  If you playing big venues shortly after your debut there is this attitude toward them.

those are some terrible bands right there and other than Coldplay, these bands will not exist in 10 years.

why are they all terrible?   All had hit pop songs.   And I am sure Mumford and Sons will be around in 10 years.  And radiohead has been around for much more than 10 years.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #602 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »
you should have tried to get phish reunion hampton tickets.  a three day show, at the mega mothership, all sold individually, at the same time, and all were gone in less than two minutes.  i was offered $600 for my one night tickets at the venue.  he showed me the 6 one hundred dollar bills and told me he would give me $2000 for all three right there.  people and their tickets.

If someone offered me 600 for any bands tickets I would probably sell them on the spot.  I can't imagine a show I would see for that much money. 

it wasn't just the shows . . . it was the whole three day experience.  the people, the planets, the possibilities.  going to a concert and living within phish shows, are two totally different things.  

hutch

« Reply #603 on: January 04, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »
you should have tried to get phish reunion hampton tickets.  a three day show, at the mega mothership, all sold individually, at the same time, and all were gone in less than two minutes.  i was offered $600 for my one night tickets at the venue.  he showed me the 6 one hundred dollar bills and told me he would give me $2000 for all three right there.  people and their tickets.

If someone offered me 600 for any bands tickets I would probably sell them on the spot.  I can't imagine a show I would see for that much money. 

it wasn't just the shows . . . it was the whole three day experience.  the people, the planets, the possibilities.  going to a concert and living within phish shows, are two totally different things.  

lay off the yerba man

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #604 on: January 04, 2013, 06:23:08 pm »

the killers will be.  maybe not as huge as they were, but maybe they will be.  i see them with the talent to survive.  plus they are cute.  that matters.  look at coldplay.  they are so dreamy.

atomicfront

« Reply #605 on: January 04, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »

ok that makes sense.  

Yada

« Reply #606 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:15 pm »

why are they all terrible?   All had hit pop songs.   And I am sure Mumford and Sons will be around in 10 years.  And radiohead has been around for much more than 10 years.

Due to a band having a hit =/= good band.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #607 on: January 04, 2013, 06:28:43 pm »

lay off the yerba man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOs4vsthLD0

Yada

« Reply #608 on: January 04, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »

Walky, were you at MSG? Mucho fun was had.

atomicfront

« Reply #609 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:06 pm »

writing good pop songs does take a bit of talent.  anybody can be shitty band like deerhunter though.    I mean the first velvet underground album is filled with great pop songs just becuase they didn't sell well doesn't mean they weren't pop songs.  same with the pixies "here comes your man" is a typical good pop song. no different than what foster the people are doing.  

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #610 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:40 pm »
new years eve was a no go for me this year.  was getting over a bad sickness and honestly just did not feel like doing anything this ny.  could have gone to see widespread in charlotte, but said nein to that as well.  i am assuming they put on a great show (which night was the best)  and nothing makes me smile more than the people that go to new years shows.  the best!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #611 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »

writing good pop songs does take a bit of talent.  anybody can be shitty band like deerhunter though.    I mean the first velvet underground album is filled with great pop songs just becuase they didn't sell well doesn't mean they weren't pop songs.  same with the pixies "here comes your man" is a typical good pop song. no different than what foster the people are doing.  

i dont think velvet u sold well . . . because andy warhol was too busy scaring everybody at their shows.  like street artists and james ford.

hutch

« Reply #612 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:33 pm »

what facility with metaphors you exhibit....

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #613 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »

If you playing big venues shortly after your debut there is this attitude toward them.

Look at Radiohead.  somehow they got around it and instead of saying they suck people say oh their first album sucked.  Nevermind it is better than their last 3 albums.  

Not to get too nit-picky, but Radiohead played 930 after their 3rd album came out.

hutch

« Reply #614 on: January 04, 2013, 07:34:24 pm »

If you playing big venues shortly after your debut there is this attitude toward them.

Look at Radiohead.  somehow they got around it and instead of saying they suck people say oh their first album sucked.  Nevermind it is better than their last 3 albums.  

Not to get too nit-picky, but Radiohead played 930 after their 3rd album came out.

and the Black Cat before that....