Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443642 times)

James Ford

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #630 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:22 pm »
love the first 2.5 Brendan Benson albums, but the last two have been flat out boring. I blame Jack White.

atomicfront

« Reply #631 on: January 05, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »
my list was mainly generated from the artists who put out great records this year and i've gotten around to get Brendan's newest for this year, but yes his material is some of the finest pop out there.  and much better than the dreck realized by Jack White's Big Fat Ego and the Ranconteurs.   And anyone who walks out on a drunken Replacement's fest has no soul...

I don't know if the Replacements were drunk.  I think it was just more a case of them not knowing how to play their instruments.   No reason to see someone who doesn't know how to play their own songs.  I think other than Flipper's show at the old 930 club I haven't seen a worse performance. 

Anyway I don't think you don't like bands based on reviews.  That is what I thought at first but now I think you just don't like music that is innovative.   or value quality singing voices or musical arrangement.

As for Brendan, no one would know who he was if it weren't for jack white.  I think he will fade back into obscurity as he rightfully belongs.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #632 on: January 05, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »
i'm out... if anything I value bands with great vocals, harmonies, etc the most.  I rarely read reviews of records and if you paid any attention at all to my best albums of 2012 you'd notice my loyalites are split between power pop /funk/soul/afrobeat. I value The Moons because it's like listening to all of the 60s at once.    and i find the likes of alabama shakes because it tiresome, basic and unoriginal.
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #633 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »
i'm out... if anything I value bands with great vocals, harmonies, etc the most.  I rarely read reviews of records and if you paid any attention at all to my best albums of 2012 you'd notice my loyalites are split between power pop /funk/soul/afrobeat. I value The Moons because it's like listening to all of the 60s at once.    and i find the likes of alabama shakes because it tiresome, basic and unoriginal.

I don't know why you need to feel to insult the bands I like though.  To tell you the truth there are bands on your list I know Tim Burgess, Primitives, Cornershop, Db's, Jimmy Cliff, St Entienne.  But I haven't even heard of anything from these acts in the last 15 years.  So it would be hard for me to insult your list. 

But why do you have to feel superior about the whole thing?  At least my music other people actually like.  How do you come up with my music is superior than yours idea? 

You can say the popularity thing but  i saw beach house with less than 50 people at a show.  Sure their album is in the top 10 now but no one knew about them back when I started listening to them.  I saw Dresden Dolls on a small stage at a music festival.  And instantly liked them.  Amanda Palmer (Dresden Doll member) doesn't even have a record label.  She doesn't get a ton of positive press.  No hipster love.   Yet she put out a top 10 album.   So you can take the BS that no one cares about your bands because they don't get press or record label support.   I knew about of Monsters and Men only because they were playing at black cat.  I checked out their music and loved it. 

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #634 on: January 06, 2013, 12:53:54 am »
I don't know if the Replacements were drunk.  I think it was just more a case of them not knowing how to play their instruments.   No reason to see someone who doesn't know how to play their own songs.  I think other than Flipper's show at the old 930 club I haven't seen a worse performance. 

C Love/Hole 930
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2013, 02:31:55 am »
^I was there.
Left before the first encore.
Most epically horrid show ever.

Post review might be their best piece of music writing to date.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #636 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »
I will just put one final comment out on the popular/unpopular debate.  The most popular bands I have seen have put on amazing live shows.  You can tell they put tons of practice into their live performances before going out on the road.  They also respect their fans.  And they don't take 5 years before putting out albums or put out albums with one good song on them.

Look at some of the talented bands  that didn't make it big.  Replacements:  I loved "Let it be" one of my favorite albums of all time but after basically not even making an attempt to play their songs correctly live I never had anything to do with them again.

The Fall:  Saw them at old 930 club back in 1985.  They played music that hadn't been released yet for most of the set.  Mark E Smith kicked equipment around all night.  Spent the entire saying how the venue sucks and how everytime they come there it is the same shitty things.  I never had anything to do with band again.

Sonic Youth saw them at festival a few years back.  Kim Gordon pretended to play bass and was in what appeared to be in a drug induced daze.. their set consisted mostly of songs from their new mediocre album and didn't include any of the old songs that I loved.

Lou Reed saw him at Lolla a few years back.  He comes out 25 minutes late.  (Never mind he had an hour to get his stage ready).  He plays 20 minutes after his set is supposed to end.  The Band of Horses are playing at the stage next to him.  So they lost 20 minutes of set time.  The members of band of horses are giving him the finger.  Bring in things like releasing a double album of noise.  From what I heard in the past not wanting to play songs people wanted to hear and being a general a-hole it is easy why to see why he never had main stream success.

Public Image Limited.  One of my favorite bands musically.  But he never could keep band members.  Lost talented musician after talented musician.  Would walk out on interviews telling the interviewee he was stupid.  Generally told everyone they were stupid.

Look at Amanda Palmer she has gotten zero help from anyone yet she spends time on her message boards talking to people.  She hangs out with fans after shows.  Invites fans on to stage with her.  Encourages fans in their own artistic work.  Puts on incredible live shows

Or the Cure.  they might not have the most exciting live show but they have played for many hours.  I think the last show I saw of them during the early 90's they did 4 encores.  Plus on the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me tour he came outside after the gig and spent an hour talking to fans and signing autographs.

The Beatles worked their asses off.  They put out two albums worth of music basically every year.  Great songs.  Innovative.  They didn't stick to the guitar, drum, bass only very long and always spent a lot of time rehearsing.  They did movies.  They did a million press conferences. 

Bands that are popular work for it.  I can't stand Bruce Springsteen but from what I have heard he plays for 3 or 4 hours.   

If you are going to shit on your fans or don't spend an effort on a live show you won't have fans for very long

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #637 on: January 06, 2013, 12:31:12 pm »
you really judge a band by their live performances, and you really judge an act by what they do in one set particular space in time, don't you?  sonic youth always does that live.  bands have moments after being on the shit road they live.  artists suffer so people like you can complain about them because they didn't have a perfect event at some time of their lives.  big whoop to you.  here's an idea . . . listen to music because it is good or don't listen to music because it is not.  stop thinking that anybody else cares what you do or what you like or who you are or why this and that.  no body cares.  they sometimes don't care what they are doing.  life is so complicated to care so much about something so simple as music.  just listen to it.  stop forming your life around it . . . people who go to phish do that; you wanna be like them; didn't think so.

hutch

« Reply #638 on: January 06, 2013, 12:36:37 pm »
^Did Robert Smith sign anything or you? If so post it on the Concert pictures, etc. thread. Thanks

The Cure is probably one of the only bands I'd really like to see that I never made it... I think I had tickets to see them once at the Patriot Center but can't remember why I never made it..I may have even forgotten about the show....

There are so many things wrong with what you write that I wont' even bother to go there but it is funny how you put Lydon down for not keeping the same band members but have no issue with what Robert Smith has done shuffling members left and right.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #639 on: January 06, 2013, 12:40:11 pm »
This is most BS I think I've ever seen here

Look at Amanda Palmer she has gotten zero help from anyone yet she spends time on her message boards talking to people.  She hangs out with fans after shows.  Invites fans on to stage with her.  Encourages fans in their own artistic work.  Puts on incredible live shows

Amanda Palmer has raised over 1.2 Million Dollars from fans on Kickstarter, the Dresden Dolls were on a high profile "indie" label, she is the queen of self promotion, is the girlfriend of Neil Gaimen an author with a huge cult following.  Yup Amanda Palmer never got help from anyone....
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »

Amanda Palmer has raised over 1.2 Million Dollars from fans on Kickstarter, the Dresden Dolls were on a high profile "indie" label, she is the queen of self promotion, is the girlfriend of Neil Gaimen an author with a huge cult following.  Yup Amanda Palmer never got help from anyone....

the 1.2 million dollars was from fans.  The label didn't support her at all when she was on it.  they told her she was fat.  She was popular before she met neil gaiman.  and she is his wife not his girlfriend. 

atomicfront

« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2013, 01:34:38 pm »
^Did Robert Smith sign anything or you? If so post it on the Concert pictures, etc. thread. Thanks

The Cure is probably one of the only bands I'd really like to see that I never made it... I think I had tickets to see them once at the Patriot Center but can't remember why I never made it..I may have even forgotten about the show....

There are so many things wrong with what you write that I wont' even bother to go there but it is funny how you put Lydon down for not keeping the same band members but have no issue with what Robert Smith has done shuffling members left and right.

simon gallup has been on most cure albums.  he had many long term members.  the members in PIL quit because of john lydon. 

I had gotten an autograph from robert smith but I no longer have it.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:52 pm »

the 1.2 million dollars was from fans.  The label didn't support her at all when she was on it.  they told her she was fat.  She was popular before she met neil gaiman.  and she is his wife not his girlfriend. 

guess that record company didn't release any of their records huh?  and wow i don't think i've ever heard of band being screwed over by a label before  ::)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:47:30 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:24 pm »
you really judge a band by their live performances, and you really judge an act by what they do in one set particular space in time, don't you?  sonic youth always does that live.  bands have moments after being on the shit road they live.  artists suffer so people like you can complain about them because they didn't have a perfect event at some time of their lives.  big whoop to you.  here's an idea . . . listen to music because it is good or don't listen to music because it is not.  stop thinking that anybody else cares what you do or what you like or who you are or why this and that.  no body cares.  they sometimes don't care what they are doing.  life is so complicated to care so much about something so simple as music.  just listen to it.  stop forming your life around it . . . people who go to phish do that; you wanna be like them; didn't think so.

well if they don't care than other people don't care.  You think some shitty band you like isn't popular because of the masses of people being stupid.   Yeah no one gives a shit about sonic youth because they put on shitty sets.  Not because of the quality of their music.  

People are successes in life because they work hard at what they are doing.  I don't care if sonic youth or the replacements doesn't give a shit about me. I just don't support them anymore.  I buy all of amanda palmers albums because she actually works hard at what she does and deserves to be compensated for it.

You are the one that brought up woe band x is the great band that no one listens to.  I told you why no one listens to some bands.  you can't just show up at your gig bitch about everything put on a horrible show and expect people to buy your albums.  you can't be some stupid guitar, bass, drum , male lead singer with no range and write simplistic straight a head rock n roll songs that sound like the worst song off exile and main street and expect to be stars.  

Shit there are people traveling all over the country touring some musical where they have to do multiple shows a day and they probably aren't getting paid very much and they put on great performances night after night. It is called being a professional.   You can do whatever you want.  think your fans are stupid and treat them as such and then suffer in obscurity but that is your own fault.

atomicfront

« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2013, 01:48:57 pm »

guess that record company didn't release any of their records huh?

here is what record companies can do for you:  get you good press, get you played on the radio.  They didn't do that for them.  shit the replacements and sonic youth were on major labels with glowing press and had all the backing in the world from huge companies, got played on mtv quite a bit.  and neither had a top 10 record.