Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443368 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #660 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:25 am »
the new Bowie song (and promise of new album out in March!) has absolutely made my day!

HE has been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO missed..

Happy birthday David Bowie and welcome back!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #661 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:06 am »
The Bowie single has certainly grabbed the attention of the Interweb today....  I'm curious to hear this album, based on the single it's sounds like it could be a very reflective album.  His almost fragile vocals are haunting on the single..
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #662 on: January 08, 2013, 11:46:16 am »
bowie at coachella?

Relaxer

« Reply #663 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:59 am »
Bowie sounds terrible on this song, which is boring.
oword

atomicfront

« Reply #664 on: January 08, 2013, 11:54:09 am »

well bowie has sounded terrible for every solo and tin machine song he has released since "Tonight".  I guess his release with queen was his last decent song. 

hutch

« Reply #665 on: January 08, 2013, 11:57:52 am »
This song is great! You guys are nuts...

Is that Bjork in the video by the way?

hutch

« Reply #666 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:33 am »

well bowie has sounded terrible for every solo and tin machine song he has released since "Tonight".  I guess his release with queen was his last decent song. 

This is so idiotic its funny. The last "decent" Bowie song was in 1982??? Heck the entire overlooked Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack is great..that's before we talk about the five studio albums he released between 1995-2003.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #667 on: January 08, 2013, 12:02:45 pm »

This is so idiotic its funny. The last "decent" Bowie song was in 1982??? Heck the entire overlooked Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack is great..that's before we talk about the five studio albums he released between 1995-2003.

Oh thanks for reminder about the Buddha of Suburbia work, i dug that album, need to find that in my collection.
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #668 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:52 pm »
Bowie's albums up to and including Scary Monsters: Superb, exciting, ground-breaking. Maybe the debut and Pin-Ups aren't as exemplary but they fit in well with everything else, which represents one of the best album runs in rock history. Man Who Sold the World --> Scary Monsters is an unreal line of quality.

Bowie's albums including and following Lets Dance: Mediocre and unnecessary. Sure, some good songs and vibes here and there but nothing special and largely aping either the sounds of the day or his own music from decades earlier.
oword

hutch

« Reply #669 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »
Bowie's albums up to and including Scary Monsters: Superb, exciting, ground-breaking. Maybe the debut and Pin-Ups aren't as exemplary but they fit in well with everything else, which represents one of the best album runs in rock history. Man Who Sold the World --> Scary Monsters is an unreal line of quality.

Bowie's albums including and following Lets Dance: Mediocre and unnecessary. Sure, some good songs and vibes here and there but nothing special and largely aping either the sounds of the day or his own music from decades earlier.

This is the conventional wisdom but I think its unrealistic to think that someone should continually revolutionize music for 40 years. I think he gave us enough revolutionary albums and there is nothing wrong with recording comfortable albums. Heck, if you enjoy Bowie's voice you're going to enjoy those newer albums too.

But to say somebody is "mediocre" because they are not revolutionary seems insane.

Of course ageism is a terrible bias in rock and roll... and Bowie will always be compared to what he did before.

I find the new song terribly affecting and am glad for it. I dont' expect him to release a new album that will change the world. Just some new songs written by him with him singing is fine with me. More than I could have dreamed of yesterday.

atomicfront

« Reply #670 on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

This is the conventional wisdom but I think its unrealistic to think that someone should continually revolutionize music for 40 years. I think he gave us enough revolutionary albums and there is nothing wrong with recording comfortable albums. Heck, if you enjoy Bowie's voice you're going to enjoy those newer albums too.

But to say somebody is "mediocre" because they are not revolutionary seems insane.

Of course ageism is a terrible bias in rock and roll... and Bowie will always be compared to what he did before.

I find the new song terribly affecting and am glad for it. I dont' expect him to release a new album that will change the world. Just some new songs written by him with him singing is fine with me. More than I could have dreamed of yesterday.

i got some bowie multiple disc best of.  It included a single song from every album after tonight and none of them were even half way decent.  Tonight has "Blue Jean" on it as well as a few other decent songs.  I mean the album isn't very good but there is stuff worth listening to. 

I hadn't realized he hasn't toured in 9 years.  Hopefully he has a big tour and plays a lot of older songs. 

hutch

« Reply #671 on: January 08, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »

i got some bowie multiple disc best of.  It included a single song from every album after tonight and none of them were even half way decent.  Tonight has "Blue Jean" on it as well as a few other decent songs.  I mean the album isn't very good but there is stuff worth listening to. 

I hadn't realized he hasn't toured in 9 years.  Hopefully he has a big tour and plays a lot of older songs. 

big tour??? He has a stroke or heart attack the last one and hasn't been seen since except for two pictures taken of him walking around NYC and another one at a movie festival.

A "big tour" is the last thing that is going to happen here. And I write the preceding words with the hope I will be proven wrong

This new album is a gift.

atomicfront

« Reply #672 on: January 08, 2013, 12:40:23 pm »

big tour??? He has a stroke or heart attack the last one and hasn't been seen since except for two pictures taken of him walking around NYC and another one at a movie festival.

A "big tour" is the last thing that is going to happen here. And I write the preceding words with the hope I will be proven wrong

odds are 2 to 1 against a tour.  So pretty much even.  So if you are so sure about no tour you can bet on it and make yourself some money.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #673 on: January 08, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
Rufus Wainwright tickets and Newport Folk Festival early bird tickets acquired.  Rufus show requires you to pick up the tickets at the door showing your ID.  I guess that is why I was able to get tickets. 

that, and no one cares for Rufus anymore... he doesn't exactly have buzz. 

he's not selling out a big festival (LOTS more tickets than DAR), so it doesn't mean a thing about scalping.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #674 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:25 pm »

odds are 2 to 1 against a tour.  So pretty much even.  So if you are so sure about no tour you can bet on it and make yourself some money.

you're all bout  the benjamins eh mr scalperooni?