Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443593 times)

vansmack

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #705 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
The problem is you guys think this is about music.  And it's not.

It's a business and it's about ticket sales and the promoter thinks he can sell enough tickets for a particular demographic to see a band play a larger venue, and he's going to take the risk based on his available evidence.

Given his track record, I'm guessing the promoter will be right. Again.   
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #706 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:50 pm »
vansmack are we going to have to have that talk again about talking sense on this forum?
T.Rex

atomicfront

« Reply #707 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »
totally agree with Hutch on this... But you can't keep the Bros and Soccer Moms from hearing that hit live.  It's gonna be a great show where 2k "die-fans" will have to put with a whole bunch more "fans" yacking away waiting for the hit, and leaving once it's over.  And the Gotye must be a masterpiece as well..

personally i'm waiting for Dry The River  to return with their no-hits selfs and listen to a real masterpiece live for the first time. They have played twice at the Black Cat Backstage, once at Iota.  Waiting for DC date for Milo Greene as well...

Personally I think this new paradigm where bands explode on the internet and go from playing coffeehouses to arenas in a few weeks is very problematic.. there is no way these bands are going to be able to put on anything remotely resembling a decent performance without having actually put  in the sweat and developed their performance and a stage act... People like James Brown or Mick Jagger worked for years to become quality performers. A guy like Elvis developed his stage show over a substantial period at the hayrides etc.. The most disturbing thing is the crowd probably won't even care as live performance sort of went out the window in the 1990s with the "you got to look like you're not trying to entertain people" approach

its a shame that bands no longer really have to earn it the hard way... I remember when bands would play the black cat a few times, graduate to the 930, play that a few times and maybe the lucky ones go up from there... nowadays these fly by night one hit on spotify (whatever that means) acts skip all the paying their dues/learning the ropes... but hey good luck to them and their fans.."

I agree with Kosmo and Hutch...I just don't understand how a band with a single album gets booked at a place with more than 2K seats as anything other than an opening act. Now I'm not talking about pop sensations that are just commodities with huge, lip-synched stage shows. Let the kids go to that circus. It's not a real live show, anyway. But with supposedly legitimate artists, I don't think it serves the artist or the audience to have a band with about an hour's worth of material headline a huge venue like MPP. I like The Lumineers, but I thought their appearance on SNL demonstrated how they get swallowed up on a stage bigger than Iota's. We no longer give artists time to cut their teeth and learn how to fill a room with their sound, command an audience for more than the hit song, and get them interested in something more. Artists would be well-served by the experience. Yes, the Lumineers have been playing for more than a few months, but they still don't have more than about an hour's worth of material. I wish we'd let artists grow into a venue like MPP instead of getting as much cash out of their fans as possible based on one hit song.

i have seen artists with one album put on amazing shows.  For example CSS, Santigold, Of Monsters and Men, Keane.  With great stage presence.  Crowd singing along to every song.  I don't think there are many artists with no matter how much experience that can put on better shows than them.  You either have it or you don't.  You have bands that still just stand in one place and mutter an occasional thank you to the crowd after playing together for 30 years. 

People want to see a band you put them in a large venue.  Otherwise everyone is just going to take advantage of the situation and tickets become only available at unreasonable prices.  If artists only have an hour worth of material it just means there will be more openers. 

And it is more than one hit song.  Every song on their album is fantastic.  You act like their fans have only heard one song from them.  They have sold over 800,000 copies of their album.   I would think most people listen to more than one song on an album when they buy it. 

My Morning Jacket has had zero hits and they headlined MPP many a time. 

And at least with a band with one incredible album you don't have to here their crappy new songs that no one likes. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:54:13 pm by atomicfront »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #708 on: January 29, 2013, 05:59:01 pm »

It's a business and it's about ticket sales and the promoter thinks he can sell enough tickets for a particular demographic to see a band play a larger venue, and he's going to take the risk based on his available evidence.

Exactly! They are into it for the money. We are into it for the love of music. Sometimes we forget that.

On one hand, I think the labels, promoters, etc., see that the audience has a desire for indies and other lesser known performers and are trying to make a buck on that thirst. Good. We can all question whom they back, especially when they don't appeal to us, but they have their reasons.

On the other hand, I'm not going to try to take any of these bands down because they got lucky by being noticed and taken under the wings of the guys with the backing. I don't like the way the record industry works but that's how it is for now. The promoters, by nature of the business, usually have to work with them in a way that's beneficial to both and hopefully, the artists. It's up to us whether or not we choose to attend these shows.

Personally, I don't like large venues so I'm usually pretty lucky myself with not having to decide whether or not I want to attend such places. Double luck that I tend to prefer bands who usually can only sell to an audience in a smaller venue.

As much as I want to agree with many of the points that Monkey Pants made, this isn't an ideal world and these bands need to pay their bills too in a dog eat dog industry. It would be nice if everyone advanced 'fairly' (whatever that would be) and not get the benefit of moving ahead 5 spaces while other well seasoned and talented acts keep barely filling rooms for 200 or so. That's just not the real world. Kind of makes me happier that I tend to prefer the lesser known bands and want to support them even more. Then again, I can't stand the rush to try to buy tickets to a highly coveted show that I really would not want to see in a much larger venue. That's just the breaks.

atomicfront

« Reply #709 on: January 29, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »

Exactly! They are into it for the money. We are into it for the love of music. Sometimes we forget that.

On one hand, I think the labels, promoters, etc., see that the audience has a desire for indies and other lesser known performers and are trying to make a buck on that thirst. Good. We can all question whom they back, especially when they don't appeal to us, but they have their reasons.

On the other hand, I'm not going to try to take any of these bands down because they got lucky by being noticed and taken under the wings of the guys with the backing. I don't like the way the record industry works but that's how it is for now. The promoters, by nature of the business, usually have to work with them in a way that's beneficial to both and hopefully, the artists. It's up to us whether or not we choose to attend these shows.

Personally, I don't like large venues so I'm usually pretty lucky myself with not having to decide whether or not I want to attend such places. Double luck that I tend to prefer bands who usually can only sell to an audience in a smaller venue.

As much as I want to agree with many of the points that Monkey Pants made, this isn't an ideal world and these bands need to pay their bills too in a dog eat dog industry. It would be nice if everyone advanced 'fairly' (whatever that would be) and not get the benefit of moving ahead 5 spaces while other well seasoned and talented acts keep barely filling rooms for 200 or so. That's just not the real world. Kind of makes me happier that I tend to prefer the lesser known bands and want to support them even more. Then again, I can't stand the rush to try to buy tickets to a highly coveted show that I really would not want to see in a much larger venue. That's just the breaks.

bands play bigger venues because more people like them.  how hard is that to understand?   A promoter is going to put a band in a venue that they think they will fill.  There is no point in putting U2 in the black cat.  there is no point putting Holly Go Lightly into MPP. 

It is nothing about record companies involved. If a band is popular a band will put them in big venues. If no one cares for a band they won't play anywhere. 

This is nothing to do about fairness.   IMHO Beach House should be headlining the Verizon Center.  But I am glad they are not.  I would rather see an artist at a smaller venue and I won't see bands at Verizon center and a band has to be awfully good for me to see them at the Patriot center.  For example, Sigur Ros.   

wml7

« Reply #710 on: January 29, 2013, 06:37:28 pm »
Beach House with Lumineers opening should headline Fedex field
 ;D

stevewizzle

« Reply #711 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »
in the case of atomicfront vs. the 930 forum: it's just that most posters on this board have seen the lumineers a dozen times.  maybe they were disguised as foster the people, or tame impala, or the xx,  or maybe .fun or whatever other band has a one or two album career that launched them into the spotlight. and after a while, some of us leave those shows and we say to ourselves "i got to start being more selective about my shows".  it's not that they make bad music; they are probably talented as shit and it's a pleasure to listen to their album. but it's nothing new, and their show probably lacks energy, and more often than not it's a waste of money and it's all too predictable.

Jaguar

« Reply #712 on: January 29, 2013, 06:48:06 pm »
bands play bigger venues because more people like them.  how hard is that to understand?   A promoter is going to put a band in a venue that they think they will fill.  There is no point in putting U2 in the black cat.  there is no point putting Holly Go Lightly into MPP. 

It is nothing about record companies involved. If a band is popular a band will put them in big venues. If no one cares for a band they won't play anywhere. 

This is nothing to do about fairness.   IMHO Beach House should be headlining the Verizon Center.  But I am glad they are not.  I would rather see an artist at a smaller venue and I won't see bands at Verizon center and a band has to be awfully good for me to see them at the Patriot center.  For example, Sigur Ros.   

Damn, you are an arguementative little twit! Arguement for the sake of arguement. Probably trying to defend your love of certain bands whom you defended the other day that others took you down for. I wasn't one of them and, if anything, inadvertently defended you with my stance on labels bringing on new (to the big leagues) bands.

This discussion started by others questioning the legitamacy of those very same bands getting a push up and playing larger venues. To claim the record companies have nothing to do with it is very disengenious and not fair at all to their marketing departments. Who the hell do you think pays for all those ads plastered all over the intenet for Kings Of Leon and a lot of those other once Indie bands scooped up by the labels?

This has nothing to do with U2 (whom I detest), Sigur Ros (whom I adore), or other very accomplished bands in the business. Of course they will tend to play much larger venues. I don't even understand why you bothered to bring that up. They were wondering why certain younger/newer bands get a boost so quickly. Stay on track.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:29:05 pm by Jaguar »

azaghal1981

« Reply #713 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:03 pm »
I still say there is a little indie-rock devil with a Pitchfork shirt on (see what I did there?) running around NYC venues with contracts for bands to sign their souls away to.
احمد

Jaguar

« Reply #714 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:44 pm »
I still say there is a little indie-rock devil with a Pitchfork shirt on (see what I did there?) running around NYC venues with contracts for bands to sign their souls away to.

HaHaHaHa!!!! That's beautiful!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #715 on: January 30, 2013, 09:00:34 am »
i wonder if anyone gets misted eyed when "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" shuffles up on their iPod.
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #716 on: January 30, 2013, 09:59:22 am »
people still use ipods?

atomicfront

« Reply #717 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:22 am »
people still use ipods?

I had one of those nanos but it keep getting put in the wash and it eventually stopped working.  a perfect instance of making something too small to be useful.

James Ford

« Reply #718 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:29 am »
I bet your wife tells you that all the time.

people still use ipods?

I had one of those nanos but it keep getting put in the wash and it eventually stopped working.  a perfect instance of making something too small to be useful.

nkotb

« Reply #719 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:41 am »

I bet your wife tells you that all the time.

people still use ipods?