Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443568 times)

atomicfront

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #855 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:32 am »

I don't think we need to worry about it being too hipsterish.

i suspect that few will care, but the bearded dude in the center of the picture in the blue shirt is papa charlie, grandfather of american homebrewing.

I am glad you know that.  I am glad this board isn't all teetotalers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #856 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:05 pm »
Postal Service and BS/Yo La Tengo are the "big announcements" that MPP was tweeting about yesterday?

Lolz

u dat jaded?

Postal Service is popular enough to headline MPP? Really? How many top selling albums or singles have they had recently? Or ever had?

I realize the answer to the same question for Belle and Sebastian is 0, but they are sort or revered indie icons. Does Postal Service have the same status?

yes, i would say that the PS have the same revered indie status - certainly on this side of the atlantic.  to date, their shows have been selling out. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:12:35 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #857 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »
I always took the Postal Service to be a novelty project by Ben Gibbard and some other guy nobody has ever heard of.

Postal Service and BS/Yo La Tengo are the "big announcements" that MPP was tweeting about yesterday?

Lolz

u dat jaded?

Postal Service is popular enough to headline MPP? Really? How many top selling albums or singles have they had recently? Or ever had?

I realize the answer to the same question for Belle and Sebastian is 0, but they are sort or revered indie icons. Does Postal Service have the same status?

yes, i would say that the PS have the same revered indie status - certainly on this side of the atlantic.  to date, their shows have been selling out. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #858 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:32 pm »

I'm guessing about 5k tops in ticket sales for those shows. IMP is making some interesting choices in summer bookings.

the pavilion holds 5200, so you're predicting that they won't even sell out the seats.  

i'll bet you a beer of your choice that both shows top 8000 tickets.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #859 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_Up
Give Up is the debut album by electronic pop duo The Postal Service. Released on February 19, 2003, it was the second Sub Pop Records release to receive platinum certification, and was Sub Pop's best selling album since Nirvana's Bleach.[2] The album peaked at #114 on the U.S. Billboard 200 album chart and has sold 1.07 million copies[3].
yes.
A ten year hiatus after limited touring from a band whose members are still active and still have followings (DNTEL/DCFC) and have sold over a million records, and whose fans probably didnt get a chance to see them live, due to them:
The band toured the U.S. from April to August 2003
which was not many shows for fans to see. 

Anyways, MPP seems like the perfect size for the Postal Service. 

hutch

« Reply #860 on: February 19, 2013, 01:53:33 pm »
I think the postal service tour will do very well.. much better than belle and sebastian/yo la tengo...

atomicfront

« Reply #861 on: February 19, 2013, 02:00:03 pm »
I think the postal service tour will do very well.. much better than belle and sebastian/yo la tengo...

Belle and Sebastian filled up the place pretty well last time they play MPP.  I won't see Postal Service at MPP. I like their album but to me they shouldn't be playing a place that big.  They would be ok at the 930 club or ottobar.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #862 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:52 pm »
you people do realize that what happens one tour to one band . . . doesn't mean its going to happen another time around to the same band or any other band.  unless of course you think that everything is the same thing all over again.  good lord.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #863 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:00 pm »
yeah Postal Service will sell very well.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #864 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »

Belle and Sebastian filled up the place pretty well last time they play MPP.  I won't see Postal Service at MPP. I like their album but to me they shouldn't be playing a place that big.  They would be ok at the 930 club or ottobar.

well maybe i'm wrong but want to make it interesting?

i bet you the postal service sells more tickets than belle and sebastian.

if I win you take your sorry ass out of here for 3 months....if i lose i take my sorry ass out of here for 3 months.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #865 on: February 19, 2013, 02:03:33 pm »
i think either way . . . its a win for all of us.

had to say it, too easy.

atomicfront

« Reply #866 on: February 19, 2013, 02:04:41 pm »

I'm guessing about 5k tops in ticket sales for those shows. IMP is making some interesting choices in summer bookings.

the pavilion holds 5200, so you're predicting that they won't even sell out the seats.  

I would think Most shows do not sell out the pavillion at MPP.  Even if they have a pretty full lawn.  For example, Flaming Lips and MMJ didn't come close to selling out pavillion at their appearances at MPP.

As for James Ford he isn't very good at predicting crowd sizes.  He thinks She and Him/Camera Obscura won't even have 1000 people at Wolf Trap.  Even though it is pretty obvious they could sell out two 930 club shows and Camera Obscura on their own filled the 930 club when they played there in the past. so 3 x1400  = 4200.   Now you combine the acts and have it in a place where more people are likely to attend.  

I am hopeful that She and Him are playing Newport Folk Festival as a headliner.  But we shall see.

atomicfront

« Reply #867 on: February 19, 2013, 02:06:48 pm »

well maybe i'm wrong but want to make it interesting?

i bet you the postal service sells more tickets than belle and sebastian.

if I win you take your sorry ass out of here for 3 months....if i lose i take my sorry ass out of here for 3 months.

I didn't say Postal Service won't have a big crowd.  I am saying I don't want to see them at MPP.  Belle and Sebastian has what 7 albums?  Anyway Bell and Sebastian will have a big crowd.  To think otherwise is comical.  I don't care who has a bigger crowd.  I bet the Lumineers has a bigger crowd than either. 

I am not wagering on something so stupid. 

James Ford

« Reply #868 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
They type of people who were at the She and Him shows at the 9:30...20something DC Fox tv watchers who go to one or two shows per year...typically don't have cars to get them out to a shed in the suburbs that's nowhere near public transportation.

I would think Most shows do not sell out the pavillion at MPP.  Even if they have a pretty full lawn.  For example, Flaming Lips and MMJ didn't come close to selling out pavillion at their appearances at MPP.

As for James Ford he isn't very good at predicting crowd sizes.  He thinks She and Him/Camera Obscura won't even have 1000 people at Wolf Trap.  Even though it is pretty obvious they could sell out two 930 club shows and Camera Obscura on their own filled the 930 club when they played there in the past. so 3 x1400  = 4200.   Now you combine the acts and have it in a place where more people are likely to attend.  

I am hopeful that She and Him are playing Newport Folk Festival as a headliner.  But we shall see.

atomicfront

« Reply #869 on: February 19, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
They type of people who were at the She and Him shows at the 9:30...20something DC Fox tv watchers who go to one or two shows per year...typically don't have cars to get them out to a shed in the suburbs that's nowhere near public transportation.

You really have no clue.  I go to a ton of shows and so does my wife and we both love She and Him and loved them before their was a fox tv show.  An excellant one at that.