Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443392 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #975 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:55 pm »
Of Montreal 5/25/13 - Frederick, MD @ Flying Dog Brewery

interesting... is this part of a festival or some other celebration they're having at FD?

i just might trek up for this.  i doubt this will sell out so could be a game-time decision.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #976 on: March 11, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »
Boo to Depeche Mode at stupid JLL.  BUT, I can't skip it this time.

killsaly

« Reply #977 on: March 11, 2013, 01:15:04 pm »
Ive seen vague mentions of the Dave Mann/9th and Beats split... Anyone have any details?  Also the Nightmare Air show... Seems to be multiple days listed, and it still says 9th and Beats (though Showlistdc i think your calendar have them listed on the day they are supposed to play in Norfolk, whose bill i WISH we had with SVI and Ceremony also on there).

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #978 on: March 11, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »
depeche mode has always played there.  like how the b52s will only play wolftrap for some reason.

K8teebug

« Reply #979 on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:19 pm »
depeche mode has always played there.  like how the b52s will only play wolftrap for some reason.

I know.  I didn't go last time and regretted it.  But, that place seriously is bad! 

atomicfront

« Reply #980 on: March 11, 2013, 03:31:50 pm »

Depeche Mode has played MPP at least 5 times as that is how many times I have seen them there. 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #981 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
Ive seen vague mentions of the Dave Mann/9th and Beats split... Anyone have any details?  Also the Nightmare Air show... Seems to be multiple days listed, and it still says 9th and Beats (though Showlistdc i think your calendar have them listed on the day they are supposed to play in Norfolk, whose bill i WISH we had with SVI and Ceremony also on there).

Argh, thx. I've been working on chasing down info on all the 9th & Beats shows. Will report back. Am in California this week which makes it harder to keep a pulse on all this.

stevewizzle

« Reply #982 on: March 12, 2013, 09:29:23 am »
Alice Cooper & Marilyn Manson w/ GWAR on 6/17
MPP
this is what i see as our future, "remember those guys" festival shows.

didn't manson quit music after such a critical backlash in the media post-columbine?

anyways. this whole forum drools over "remember those guys" type-shows, including you, so, i don't really understand what you're getting at.

atomicfront

« Reply #983 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:53 am »
Alice Cooper & Marilyn Manson w/ GWAR on 6/17
MPP
this is what i see as our future, "remember those guys" festival shows.

didn't manson quit music after such a critical backlash in the media post-columbine?

anyways. this whole forum drools over "remember those guys" type-shows, including you, so, i don't really understand what you're getting at.

yeah it is kind of sad that these people don't get new music.  They like all the old has-beens but they hate the new stuff and make fun of it.  They don't seem to realize how ignorant of music they appear.

killsaly

« Reply #984 on: March 12, 2013, 11:34:29 am »
As in didnt make ANY music or do ANY touring since Columbine?

NO.

Since 1999:
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) (2000)
The Golden Age of Grotesque (2003)
Eat Me, Drink Me (2007)
The High End of Low (2009)
Born Villain (2012)

(Ive never heard any of these, I just know he never stopped making music)

atomicfront

« Reply #985 on: March 12, 2013, 11:42:28 am »
As in didnt make ANY music or do ANY touring since Columbine?

NO.

Since 1999:
Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) (2000)
The Golden Age of Grotesque (2003)
Eat Me, Drink Me (2007)
The High End of Low (2009)
Born Villain (2012)

(Ive never heard any of these, I just know he never stopped making music)

the The Golden Age of Grotesque  is a decent album and went to number 1.  Holy Wood sold 9 million copies. 

Relaxer

« Reply #986 on: March 12, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »
Wikipedia is not a credible source on Holy Wood selling 9 million copies, and their source for this figure is some company that has a vested interest in promoting MM. Besides, that's a global number. The only metric that counts when discussing record sales is U.S. sales. And in the U.S., it sold less than a million.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #987 on: March 12, 2013, 12:23:09 pm »
I remember when in-stores were free, and you didn't have to buy the album to get a ticket to an in-store.

I guess record stores have to do what they need to to survive.

I also guess that one has to look at it as a cd purchase with a live performance as a bonus.

atomicfront

« Reply #988 on: March 12, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »
Wikipedia is not a credible source on Holy Wood selling 9 million copies, and their source for this figure is some company that has a vested interest in promoting MM. Besides, that's a global number. The only metric that counts when discussing record sales is U.S. sales. And in the U.S., it sold less than a million.

Why does only US sales count?  Anyway it sold enough copies that you should have known about it.  And the next one went to number one in the US. You can't get higher than number one.  Point is if you didn't know about the albums you are probably out of touch.

James Ford

« Reply #989 on: March 12, 2013, 12:51:18 pm »
Being out of touch with popular music is a good thing, right? Sort of like not drinking InvBev or Miller-Coors beers?

Why does only US sales count?  Anyway it sold enough copies that you should have known about it.  And the next one went to number one in the US. You can't get higher than number one.  Point is if you didn't know about the albums you are probably out of touch.