Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443607 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #1050 on: March 19, 2013, 02:47:39 pm »
Deerhunter.  Yes or no?  Love their albums, but have never seen him live...

terrible live band.  boring beyond belief.

You like Beach House live, do you not? That is as boring as live music could possibly get.

Not a Deerhunter superfan by any means but I have seen many bands that were more boring. If you like their studio output, chances are you will enjoy them live unless you are Atomicfront. They used to be more aggressive and confrontational but Bradford has since mellowed out.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #1051 on: March 19, 2013, 03:23:11 pm »
What is a "has been" anyways?

has-been
n
Informal a person or thing that is no longer popular, successful, effective, etc.
Collins English Dictionary ? Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

by that criteria Morrissey is no has been as he sells out concerts in 30 minutes at the highest prices- by far- he has ever charged..

Or no? Please clarify. Thanks.

selling out tiny places.  When I saw Morrissey he was playing MPP and had huge crowd.  And he didn't even do Smiths songs back then.   Now he is playing places a fraction of the size and has to play smiths songs.   He was only playing club shows a while back until a few people started missing their youth. 

hutch

« Reply #1052 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:08 pm »

has-been
n
Informal a person or thing that is no longer popular, successful, effective, etc.
Collins English Dictionary ? Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

by that criteria Morrissey is no has been as he sells out concerts in 30 minutes at the highest prices- by far- he has ever charged..

selling out tiny places.  When I saw Morrissey he was playing MPP and had huge crowd.  And he didn't even do Smiths songs back then.   Now he is playing places a fraction of the size and has to play smiths songs.   He was only playing club shows a while back until a few people started missing their youth. 

so were the Smiths has beens when they played the Warner Theatre back in 1985?

Please clarify

atomicfront

« Reply #1053 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
Deerhunter.  Yes or no?  Love their albums, but have never seen him live...

terrible live band.  boring beyond belief.

You like Beach House live, do you not? That is as boring as live music could possibly get.

Not a Deerhunter superfan by any means but I have seen many bands that were more boring. If you like their studio output, chances are you will enjoy them live unless you are Atomicfront. They used to be more aggressive and confrontational but Bradford has since mellowed out.

i have never heard their studio output.  But just a bass, guitar, drums and male lead singer doing boring straight ahead rock n roll.

atomicfront

« Reply #1054 on: March 19, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »

has-been
n

Please clarify

No they were on their way up.  they played a bigger venue in 1986 GW basketball stadium venue.

hutch

« Reply #1055 on: March 19, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

has-been
n

Please clarify

No they were on their way up.  they played a bigger venue in 1986 GW basketball stadium venue.

so musicians can't play smaller more intimate places or they're has beens even if they sell them out with much higher average ticket prices compared to the bigger places? Please clarify. Thanks.

hutch

« Reply #1056 on: March 19, 2013, 03:40:02 pm »
but Atomicfront raises an important question...

let's say a musician played the best show of his life... and only 10 people were there... is that  a has been?

the show was the best show of his life... is what determines whether you're a has been or not what people who aren't even there think of you? seems odd...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1057 on: March 19, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »
It's not possible music has to be popular before its considered good
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2013, 03:59:42 pm »

and to think that after years of reading the musings of this board, i had come to the conclusion that music is only good before it gets popular.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »
And its even less good if  the group only has guitars, bass and drums
T.Rex

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2013, 04:21:26 pm »

and to think that after years of reading the musings of this board, i had come to the conclusion that music is only good before it gets popular.
nailed it
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1061 on: March 19, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »
Which begs the question of at which populatity point does a band's music turn from bad to good.  A one point for instance Coldplay was just another band giging around the UK and had a single on a small indie label.  When did their output magically become good?  1000, 5000, 10K fans?  Enquiring minds want to know...
T.Rex

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1062 on: March 19, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »
Lol, people like Coldplay.  :D
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #1063 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:29 pm »
Which begs the question of at which populatity point does a band's music turn from bad to good.  A one point for instance Coldplay was just another band giging around the UK and had a single on a small indie label.  When did their output magically become good?  1000, 5000, 10K fans?  Enquiring minds want to know...

I think some of the 'popular' backlash arises when a band deliberately smooths out its sound in a clear attempt to sell more units. I still think Coldplay's first album is a great guitar album but subsequent albums centered all around Chris Martin's voice and piano, and I lost interest.

Similar with Metallica. Even when they were selling millions of copies of Master of Puppets and Justice for All, they still kept their core constituency, but when they slowed the songs down and made them much more user-friendly on the Black album, that's when people cried foul.

There's always the snob factor of not liking something after everyone else discovers them, but a lot of times it's the band's own fault.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #1064 on: March 19, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
THIS IS SOOOO BORING.

has-been
n

Please clarify

so musicians can't play smaller more intimate places or they're has beens even if they sell them out with much higher average ticket prices compared to the bigger places? Please clarify. Thanks.