Author Topic: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition  (Read 1443584 times)

hutch

Re: Just Announced Commentary - 2011 Edition
« Reply #4560 on: March 08, 2018, 03:29:30 pm »
When Fillmore invites you to a free night of live music to celebrate a few decades or their version of the world’s fair come talk to me, ok? I would not hold my breath

There is most definitely a difference but I realize you are just trying to stir the pot and see how far you can go before your ban is made effective ..mind ya I would tread a little lighter....constructive criticism must always be most welcome, however, so focus on that...if you have good ideas and you seem smarter than many of your posts, I am sure you can figure out how to get them to the right people

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4561 on: March 08, 2018, 03:44:50 pm »
There is most definitely a difference but I realize you are just trying to stir the pot and see how far you can go before your ban is made effective ..mind ya I would tread a little lighter....

oh please.  jules has definitely posted some inflammatory stuff but his opinions/criticisms RE: 930 vs. FSS do not rise anywhere near the level of requiring discipline.  i don't agree with his views, but they don't amount to mean-spirited trolling hence that's why we're having a civilized discussion.  let's not get overly authoritarian (i recognize it's a popular flavor these days).  let's save the ban stick for when it's actually needed.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4562 on: March 08, 2018, 04:01:53 pm »
I did not say he should be banned just referencing that he was given his walking papers a few months ago, said he was retiring and yet here he is posting.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4563 on: March 08, 2018, 04:03:36 pm »
If you really think the 9:30 Club has a discernible better "sound" than every other venue on Earth, you are right that is subjective and you are entitled to your subjective opinion I guess. I would suggest you spend a few minutes looking reading about confirmation bias and consider if that might, in part, be the issue.

Neon Budweiser signs in no way impact my ability to enjoy a concert.

^^ I think in writing the previous sentence, it helps me to better wrap my head around why I find this continual fanboying of IMP so eyeroll-inducing. I legitimately don't get where a lot of you are coming from on this. I go to concerts to enjoy seeing a band. And for the most part, that happens 90% of the time. Sometimes I don't enjoy a band because their performance sucked that night. Sometimes I don't enjoy a band (on extremely rare circumstances) because someone in the crowd was annoying and spilled a drink on me or (on even rarer occasions) the venue is so godawful terrible it ruins the entire experience. But solidly 90+% of the time, its fine -- I have fun.

And then I get on here and a not insignificant subset of the members seem so cultish that it feels as if they go to non-IMP venues for the sole purpose of talking about how miserable they were. And I don't get that. For a community ostensibly centered around a love of seeing live music, some people sure seem awfully picky about the conditions in which they will see it. I legitimately, and with all sincerity, don't understand that. I don't understand how some tribal devotion to all things IMP renders and otherwise enjoyable experience moot and makes them focus on how much better it would be if the sound was indiscernibly different or there was no neon Budweiser sign.

I don't have any major gripes with IMP. The 9:30 Club is good. Merriweather is good. The Anthem needs a lot of work. But lots of other places are good. A great many more are perfectly fine. Jiffy Lube and Disco Rodeo in Raleigh are the only two venues I've ever been to where the venue was actively odious enough to merit me not going back.

I have lots of great concert memories. I attribute exactly zero of them to the particular venue I was in. Had I been with the same people seeing the same set and it was at VENUE X, I would've enjoyed it equally as much 99% of the time. I feel bad for people who go out and spend money to see bands and partake in this hobby we all share and cannot enjoy it fully if its not in their venue of choice. That's weird to me. Every IMP venue can burn to the ground tomorrow and all the bands you want to see will still play in town because its the 7th largest metropolitan area in the country and you know what, it would be fine and 99.9% of the attendees wouldn't know the difference. It only matters to a small subset of people who exist in this echo chamber. I feel like I should loan some of you the "______, venue CONNOISSEUR" nomenclature.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:12:14 pm by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #4564 on: March 08, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »
You know what is weird is that this board on this recently opened conversation proves Julian’s above post false...there is no cultish devotion...we have seen more posts about a decline in 930 staff than anything else...and some like richWDC evidently still have ruffled feathers over the set times...

hutch

« Reply #4565 on: March 08, 2018, 05:14:51 pm »
And venue matters a lot to me but in the great words of the immortal Sly Stone “different strokes for different folks”

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4566 on: March 08, 2018, 05:15:25 pm »
Also, the industry has voted 930 the best club in the nation every year for...reasons.

« Reply #4567 on: March 08, 2018, 07:23:06 pm »
...we have seen more posts about a decline in 930 staff than anything else...
not sure I agree with this anecdotal statement

and for the record...I think I had the David Dennison moniker first
slack

vansmack

« Reply #4568 on: March 08, 2018, 09:39:32 pm »
(1) The sound thing is so ridiculous.... This "it doesn't sound as good " is just this undefinable figleaf IMP fanboys use. It's very clever because there's no arguing with the unmeasurable credulity of their hypothetical venue sound rankings.

I've been telling you the same thing about your record collection for years....
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #4569 on: March 13, 2018, 10:47:54 am »
Arctic Monkeys
July 28
Anthem
$55-75

These prices are insane.

I've never seen the Arctic Monkeys put on a great show. They've always been OK. Can't say that I'm willing to give them a fourth try.

shemptiness

« Reply #4570 on: March 18, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
Outlaw festival
Willie Nelson
Elvis Costello
Sturdily Simpson
Plus others
Jiffy lube
5-27

Already a Groupon

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4571 on: March 28, 2018, 01:15:59 pm »
Earth Rocker Fest
Saturday August 4th @ Shiley Acres

Clutch
Black Label Society
Corrosion of Conformity
Eyehategod

now that sounds like fun.  would attend, if i could...
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4572 on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:14 pm »
Matthew Sweet @ Birchmere 6/3

Probably playing the same setlist as the last 5 shows unfortunately

Nice one.  I lol'd and stopped going after the second time.
27>34

« Reply #4573 on: March 29, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »
not holding my fucking breath but...
Killing Joke
Baltimore Soundstage
Sept 10
grr why can't we get a DC date

My first show at the 930 club (in like 90-91) was Killing Joke

but yeah, that was a bummer they canceled their last date
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4574 on: March 30, 2018, 07:30:29 am »
I'm rather stunned that they're even considering a US Tour. Will definitely buy a ticket to that....and pray they actually make it over here.