Author Topic: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS  (Read 440254 times)

shemptiness

Re: BREAK UP THE F-ING NATIONALS
« Reply #1050 on: November 05, 2013, 08:11:53 am »
No qualifying offer for Haren.  Smart move as you'd likely end up paying him one year, $14m.

$14.1M.  Not bad if you can get it.

vansmack

« Reply #1051 on: November 05, 2013, 03:07:01 pm »

Well, they chose not to so it's not going to happen. 

I think he'll move back to the West Coast on a two year deal worth about $16m-$18m total.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1052 on: November 05, 2013, 03:17:43 pm »
itll be interesting to see what the nats do on the pitching front this offseason

even with all his comments so far i have a hard time believing rizzo is truly confident going into next year with three rotation spots completely spoken for and the last two reserved for a maybe healthy detwiler and one of a trio of unproven rookies. i keep seeing david price's name come up, and i think the price there might be a bit extreme, but ill be shocked if the nats dont bring in a quality starting pitcher or two for next year. i can be ok with one questionable rotation spot (especially with 3 or 4 total studs ahead of it) but two is a big problem
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:20:25 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

vansmack

« Reply #1053 on: November 24, 2013, 11:49:02 pm »

Well, they chose not to so it's not going to happen. 

I think he'll move back to the West Coast on a two year deal worth about $16m-$18m total.

Well, the Dodgers took the risk on Haren and overpaid him at $10m, but only took the risk for one year.  Must be nice...
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #1054 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:17 pm »
No qualifying offer for Haren.  Smart move as you'd likely end up paying him one year, $14m.

paging james ford. please report to the nationals thread.

vansmack

« Reply #1055 on: November 25, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »
Rule #1 - never deal with Billie Beane.

Fernando Abad to Oakland
27>34

hutch

« Reply #1056 on: November 25, 2013, 06:18:14 pm »
Rule #1 - never deal with Billie Beane.

Fernando Abad to Oakland

I know he's prob your idol but didn't the Nats make out pretty good in the Gio trade?..cause as I remember it was a trade first...

vansmack

« Reply #1057 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:15 pm »
I know he's prob your idol but didn't the Nats make out pretty good in the Gio trade?..cause as I remember it was a trade first...

Tommy Milone and Derek Norris are starters in Oakland, AJ Cole is making his way up through the farm and is only 21.

Brad Peacock was later dealt to Houston (along with others) for Jed Lowrie and Fernando Rodriguez during a playoff run.

I would say that both teams are happy with the deal, especially since Oakland knew they couldn't afford Gio's arbitration numbers.  Anytime Oakland can turn one starter into four starters, though, they're doing pretty well.

EDIT:  I didn't realize the Nats had designated him for assignment.  Getting anybody in November for a player designated for assignment is a win, though I doubt John Wooten ever makes the big league club.   

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:57:55 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #1058 on: November 26, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #1059 on: December 02, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »
Doug Fister to the Nats for three players!

In exchange, the Nationals sent infielder Steve Lombardozzi, left-hander Ian Krol and minor league lefty Robbie Ray to the Tigers.

I guess I'm not getting Rick Porcello.  Dammit.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #1060 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:58 pm »

In exchange, the Nationals sent infielder Steve Lombardozzi, left-hander Ian Krol and minor league lefty Robbie Ray to the Tigers.

I like it but my main concern is getting a big bat.

stevewizzle

« Reply #1061 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »

detroit must really value the idea of a young lefties, because i can't seem to make sense of this deal.

lombo will stay on the bench (i can't even think of someone who he would be worth swapping as a defensive replacement!), and you've got two unproven talents that do not necessarily have high ceilings.

meanwhile, fister has been a constant.  very few walks, lots of quality starts, and injury free.  he's 29, he's not justin verlander, but he's entering the prime of his career.

really, this is a complete steal.

hutch

« Reply #1062 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:49 pm »

detroit must really value the idea of a young lefties, because i can't seem to make sense of this deal.

lombo will stay on the bench (i can't even think of someone who he would be worth swapping as a defensive replacement!), and you've got two unproven talents that do not necessarily have high ceilings.

meanwhile, fister has been a constant.  very few walks, lots of quality starts, and injury free.  he's 29, he's not justin verlander, but he's entering the prime of his career.

really, this is a complete steal.

well I agree it looks good for the Nats but obviously from the Tigers perspective they wanted to unload his contract... I'm guessing they weren't finding any teams giving them more... I mean they wouldn't want a deal that gave them something with a big contract in return because that would defeat the point of saving money, right?

I tend to feel Dombrowski knows his shit.. I mean he just got done with that great deal with Texas, right?

But our resident GM in waiting may have more to say...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1063 on: December 02, 2013, 11:23:08 pm »
like this trade a lot. fister will play the exact role he played in detroit, and hes the kind of guy the back end of the rotation here needs.

lombo was a good guy to have on the bench but utility guys like that arent too hard to find and he seemed to be wasting away on the bench a lot this year (though i imagine hes still a bench guy in detroit)

my concern is that going the cheap route to fill the starting pitcher hole (ie not throwing cash at a free agent) is a sign of the nats going after cano. obviously his bat would be great to have in the lineup but his contract demands scream disaster already. really hoping the nats steer clear
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:25:39 pm by gaaaaaaaaah »

hutch

« Reply #1064 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:48 pm »

my concern is that going the cheap route to fill the starting pitcher hole (ie not throwing cash at a free agent) is a sign of the nats going after cano. obviously his bat would be great to have in the lineup but his contract demands scream disaster already. really hoping the nats steer clear

huh? Cano would be great! we should be so lucky... but we know the Lerner's will not OK the huge contract it would take..

I don't understand how anybody after the offensive debacle last year for 2/3 of the season doesn't think the Nats needs a big bat... here's a clue: if you're banking on all the players putting up career hitting performances during the entire season and people like LaRoche and Zim not getting hurt for parts of the season, well I got a bridge to sell you...

we saw it last year time and time again that the pitchers would do great (Strasburg, anyone remember???) and the Nats wouldn't give any run support... regardless of how good your pichers are you are going to need to score runs to win.

at least that is the way I see it.