Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 600128 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2011, 08:36:46 am »
Loud Music Tricks Your Brain Into Thinking Alcohol is Delicious

Note: to self make sound person has me nice and loud during future DJ slots. Just doing my part to the beer flowing before the band hits the stage..
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:19 am »
Newt campaign site asks: Where my dogs at?
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/01/13/newt-gingrich-pets-web-site

Sometimes there just aren't enough babies to kiss or hands to shake. That's when it's time to bust out the big guns:

Pets.

Lots and lots of cute, cuddly, maybe-if-you-look-at-them-long-enough-I-can-have-your-vote pets.

That's the basic logic behind Newt Gingrich's campaign launching "Pets With Newt," (http://petswithnewt.com/home/page) a fantastic little corner of the Internet for anyone who's ever wondered "Who are Newt Gingrich's supporters? And what do their pets look like?"

(Also a fantastic little corner of the Internet for anyone who just likes quirky timekillers and/or pet pics)

Gingrich fans are invited to submit photos of themselves with their pets to the site, along with "A sentence or two about what you like about Newt." Submissions aren't just automatically posted to the site, either -- so don't waste your time dressing kitty up in a tiny "Romney 2012" shirt.

The animal-centric site also includes a list of the candidate's favorite zoos in America and informs us that "Newt and Callista (Gingrich) visit zoos and museums everywhere they go. Newt has visited nearly 100 zoos around the world."

So far there are photos up of cats, a parrot and various breeds of dogs. But guess what animal nobody has thought to submit a picture of yet?

Yeah -- a newt.

<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:15 pm »
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »
Food containing fetuses targeted under new Oklahoma bill

You might think this is a story out of 'The Onion' but it is a real story.

An Oklahoma lawmaker files a bill to ban the making and selling of food or products that use aborted human fetuses.

State Senator Ralph Shortey says he's done research and found reports that companies have used stem cells in the research and development of food.

?I don?t know if it is happening in Oklahoma, it may be, it may not be.  What I am saying is that if it does happen then we are not going to allow it to manufacture here," says Shortey

The lawmaker that represents Oklahoma County couldn?t give any specific examples.

?There is a potential that there are companies that are using aborted human babies in their research and development of basically enhancing flavor for artificial flavors," says Shortey.

Some argue there has to be more to the proposed bill and believe it is a back door attempt to ban stem cell research.

Shortey says it is not, although he admits, he would support and vote for a ban on stem cell research in the state.

A number of food makers have denied the claims.
😐 🎶

nkotb

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »
This is so weird that it took me about ten minutes of staring at this to even make the connection.

Given the amazing juxtaposition between Disney and Joy Division, I can't tell if this is the most amazing thing ever or the worst.  For sheer insanity, I'm leaning toward the former.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »
(o|o)

distance

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
This is so weird that it took me about ten minutes of staring at this to even make the connection.

Given the amazing juxtaposition between Disney and Joy Division, I can't tell if this is the most amazing thing ever or the worst.  For sheer insanity, I'm leaning toward the former.

the mickey/joy division shirt is no more (hence the broken link to the image above)
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/26/disney-pulls-joy-division-inspired-mickey-mouse-shirt/
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2012, 02:25:36 pm »

the mickey/joy division shirt is no more (hence the broken link to the image above)
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/01/26/disney-pulls-joy-division-inspired-mickey-mouse-shirt/

Fact check fail: "The band?s bass player, Peter Hook, who now plays in New Order, spoke to NME about the shirt."
😐 🎶

vansmack

27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 07:45:06 pm »
J.C. Penney slashing prices on all merchandise

This story wouldn't otherwise qualify for this thread if not for this passage:

Penney has been a laggard among department stores as its core middle-class customers are among the hardest hit by the weak economy. It's also failed to attract a younger, hip customer despite adding brands such as its Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen teen clothing collection. Its stores are described by some in the industry as "boring."
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2012, 02:52:28 pm »
<sig>