Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 615659 times)

James Ford

Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #390 on: November 03, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
Apparently the guy who hasn't read a book since 1980 hasn't read a newspaper since then either.

Washington Redskins File Lawsuit Against Native Americans For Suggesting Team Name Is Offensive

The first 3/4 of that article is 100% irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  The last 1/4 is more opinion and conjecture than anything else.  I don't at all know the underlying legal issues being challenged, but it will be very interesting to see what the court has to say about this and their justification for whatever their decision is.

Snyder is a dick. No conjecture about that....

I have no idea who Snyder is.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #391 on: November 04, 2014, 06:23:43 pm »
😐 🎶

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #392 on: November 04, 2014, 06:35:04 pm »
Apparently the guy who hasn't read a book since 1980 hasn't read a newspaper since then either.

Washington Redskins File Lawsuit Against Native Americans For Suggesting Team Name Is Offensive

The first 3/4 of that article is 100% irrelevant to the discussion at hand.  The last 1/4 is more opinion and conjecture than anything else.  I don't at all know the underlying legal issues being challenged, but it will be very interesting to see what the court has to say about this and their justification for whatever their decision is.

Snyder is a dick. No conjecture about that....

I have no idea who Snyder is.

What's a newspaper?  I remember my dad talking about that when I was a kid back in the 60s.  :)
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #393 on: November 05, 2014, 09:39:43 pm »
Any idea as to why the VA election has not bee called yet?  It seems that the lead that Warner's has makes him pretty much a lock. 
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #394 on: November 05, 2014, 09:44:11 pm »
Any idea as to why the VA election has not bee called yet?  It seems that the lead that Warner's has makes him pretty much a lock. 

only thing i can think of is that many absentee ballots have not been counted and maybe a lage number of these are from military so they might skew heavily for gillespie...

i don't get it either...17,000 is a pretty hard number to come back from...

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #395 on: November 05, 2014, 11:19:38 pm »

only thing i can think of is that many absentee ballots have not been counted and maybe a large number of these are from military so they might skew heavily for gillespie...

i don't get it either...17,000 is a pretty hard number to come back from...

That may well be it.  I ran a few numbers on the outstanding ballots by locality and I could not come up with the missing 5% so that may well be what is out.  BTW when the led early in the night was about 80k for Gillespie I was thinking 'if this lead hits 100k he has the election won'.  Looks like my estimate was pretty much spot on.

Thanks to everyone who voted no matter what your selection was on any vote.  That's the only way the system works...
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #396 on: November 06, 2014, 04:29:13 am »
Here is a question for you.  In VA, if an election is decided by ½% or less, the state will pay for a recount if requested by the potential losing candidate.  That number would be roughly 11,000 votes in this election.  With the difference being 16,727 as of the latest tally, it seems unlikely that Gillespie could catch Warner.  However, it is not far fetched to think he can close to within the 11,000 or so to qualify for a state funded recount.  If the count does end up with a difference should the potential loser (probably Gillespie) request a state funded recount?

Correction, the criteria for a recount at state cost is slightly different from what I suggested above (although looking back my previous statement was ambiguous).  It is not ½% of the total votes cast in the election for that office, it is ½% of the votes cast for the candidate involved in the recount.  There are actually three criteria where the recount is state funded...

>> The candidate challenging the results is declared the winner after the recount.
>> The petitioners in a recount of a referendum win the recount.
>> The final margin between the candidate challenging and the candidate winning the recount is not more than 1/2 of 1% of the total votes cast for the two candidates prior to the recount.

Details can be seen at http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/politics/elections/2013/11/06/how-a-recount-works-in-virginia/14835662/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:42:24 am by RatBastard »
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #397 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:08 am »
It is just amazing that we cannot do better than this as potential leaders of our country.

FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #398 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:59 am »
Here is a question for you.  In VA, if an election is decided by ½% or less, the state will pay for a recount if requested by the potential losing candidate.  That number would be roughly 11,000 votes in this election.  With the difference being 16,727 as of the latest tally, it seems unlikely that Gillespie could catch Warner.  However, it is not far fetched to think he can close to within the 11,000 or so to qualify for a state funded recount.  If the count does end up with a difference should the potential loser (probably Gillespie) request a state funded recount?

Correction, the criteria for a recount at state cost is slightly different from what I suggested above (although looking back my previous statement was ambiguous).  It is not ½% of the total votes cast in the election for that office, it is ½% of the votes cast for the candidate involved in the recount.  There are actually three criteria where the recount is state funded...

>> The candidate challenging the results is declared the winner after the recount.
>> The final margin between the candidate challenging and the candidate winning the recount is not more than 1/2 of 1% of the total votes cast for the two candidates prior to the recount.

Details can be seen at http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/politics/elections/2013/11/06/how-a-recount-works-in-virginia/14835662/
Didn't an election fall just inside the 1/2% margin recently in Virginia and the loser conceeded because he did not want the state to pay for it? Its too early in the morning for me to remember who it was, though.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #399 on: November 06, 2014, 11:27:23 am »

Didn't an election fall just inside the 1/2% margin recently in Virginia and the loser conceeded because he did not want the state to pay for it? Its too early in the morning for me to remember who it was, though.

Gillespie will pay for nothing out of his own well-lined pocket. If not the state then his partners in crime.
😐 🎶

ggw

« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:43 pm »

In the years after the 9/11 attacks the Central Intelligence Agency searched for novel ways to combat the threat of international terrorism. Some were more novel than others, and none more so than the agency?s partnership with Don Levine, the retired head of research and development at the toy company Hasbro and the creator of G.I. Joe.

To win the hearts and minds of impressionable children in Afghanistan and Pakistan, Mr. Levine was asked to take part in an ?influence operation.? His mission: to develop an Osama bin Laden action figure that projected a negative image of the world?s most wanted terrorist.

The doll, 12 inches tall, presents bin Laden in a white turban, a white four-button robe over a white four-button tunic, off-white pants, and black boots. There are two heads. One shows bin Laden with a stern expression but normal features and skin color. A second head has a demonic red face with black markings and piercing green eyes. The final product would have incorporated both faces in one head, with the first face peeling back to reveal the Satanic bin Laden beneath.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »

That may well be.  I do not particularly remember this but it could be.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:58 pm »

Gillespie will pay for nothing out of his own well-lined pocket. If not the state then his partners in crime.

Yeah and all other candidates pay their campaign expenses 100% from their personal resources.  How dare Gillespie not foot his own bill!
FUKIT

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #403 on: November 13, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
www.spin.com/articles/ne-yo-woman-brain-remove-seizure/
"Woman Has Seizures Upon Hearing Ne-Yo, Gets Part of Her Brain Removed to Fix It"
Maybe you've joked about undergoing elective surgery to get a song out of your head (most recent examples include "Too Many Cooks" and 2012's inescapable "Call Me Maybe"), but Zoey Fennessy, who has seizures whenever she hears any Ne-Yo track, has actually done it. Yes, Fennessey ? who freezes and starts vomiting whenever she hears Ne-Yo (trying like hell to stifle jokes here) ? underwent brain surgery to alleviate her symptoms.

The 26-year-old, who suffers from a rare illness called musicogenic epilepsy and doesn't even dislike Ne-Yo, recently tried to explain her medical phenomenon to the Daily Mail: "[Doctors] are saying it could possibly be something in the tone of his voice, something like that, but it doesn't happen when I hear Usher, or people like him who have a very similar sound," she said. "It is only him, only Ne-Yo."

To help cure her symptoms, doctors removed part of Fennessy's left temporal lobe, which she says has helped to an extent, but she still suffers from seizures when Ne-Yo comes on. Ugh, this is just "So Wrong," Ne-Yo. We're not in any way "Jealous." You're making a woman "So Sick." And it's all "Because of You."

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #404 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »
I guess her risk assessment skills were also impaired. Brain surgery vs. not listening to Ne-Yo. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
😐 🎶