Author Topic: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)  (Read 615229 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

killsaly

Re: When reality reflects The Onion (redux)
« Reply #826 on: December 28, 2015, 03:12:03 pm »
Kentucky mall St. Matthews closes after brawls involving 2,000
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/kentucky-mall-st-matthews-closes-after-brawls-involving-2000

2000???? That many people A: were involved in a brawl and B: were shopping at a mall at the same time in 2015? 

St. Matthews, a suburb of about 18,000 people outside of Louisville, is a normally quiet city that sees no more than two murders a year, McDonald said. ?I?ve been a police officer 33 years, and I haven?t ever seen anything like this before,? he said. ?We always plan for worst-case scenario, but this exceeded that.?

^ so a huge percentage of the population was at the mall at the same time, and fighting???
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:13:44 pm by killsaly »

walk,on,by

« Reply #827 on: December 28, 2015, 03:53:02 pm »
you know, this is totally belittling the situation that innocent people could have gotten hurt and damages and all that . . . but i still cant believe, people actually go to malls.  when i went Christmas shopping, it was like, wow, these places still do stay afloat.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #828 on: December 28, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »
you know, this is totally belittling the situation that innocent people could have gotten hurt and damages and all that . . . but i still cant believe, people actually go to malls.  when i went Christmas shopping, it was like, wow, these places still do stay afloat.
Are they? I feel like all of them are being "revamped" as "town centers" or something like that. They're all god damn nightmares.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #829 on: December 29, 2015, 12:39:38 pm »
Whole Foods to pay for overcharging customers

Ummm I thought that was their business model?
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

killsaly

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #833 on: January 07, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
The Offspring just sold their entire catalog for $35 million

Here's the money shot: ?We have some masters like the Bush catalog . . . but we wanted more exposure and you won?t get a more high-quality catalog than The Offspring.?
LVMH

« Reply #834 on: January 07, 2016, 10:58:34 am »
The Offspring just sold their entire catalog for $35 million

Here's the money shot: ?We have some masters like the Bush catalog . . . but we wanted more exposure and you won?t get a more high-quality catalog than The Offspring.?
So when they were popular The Offspring?s catalog allegedly produced $3.1 million in net publisher or net label revenue
so since it's been close to 2 decades since we've been popular...why wouldn't a company want to pay 10x the total revenue we made

I just don't know how you could make a profit after spending 35 mil on their catalog
slack

betao

« Reply #835 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:19 am »
Especially in the modern age of downloading music for free.

« Reply #836 on: January 07, 2016, 11:13:21 am »
So when they were popular The Offspring?s catalog allegedly produced $3.1 million in net publisher or net label revenue
so since it's been close to 2 decades since we've been popular...why wouldn't a company want to pay 10x the total revenue we made
To be fair, the music and movie business has long been a shell game where "net" profits are extremely tiny on paper for tax purposes. Every time George Lucas flies somewhere and speaks at a nerd convention, the cost of the trip is deducted from Star Wars' net profit. The Offspring have sold 36 million albums. The idea that the record label only "profited" between 8 and 9 cents per sale is ludicrous.

That said, I agree with your general point that I don't see how they hope to recoup that much money for it in 2016 onward unless "Keep 'Em Separated" is tailor-made for commercials and I am just missing it.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #837 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:53 am »
"Keep 'Em Separated" 

the name of the song is "come out and play", you MORAN.
<sig>

« Reply #838 on: January 07, 2016, 12:07:41 pm »
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #839 on: January 07, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »
Especially in the modern age of downloading music for free.
True, but there is still money in licensing music for tv, movies, and commercials.