Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 126906 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 01:53:41 pm »
Dunno if these have been posted:

Pictures of construction from the inside and out:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgtmpl.asp?url=/content/DGS/DBDC/RegionalProjectPages/SilverSpringProjects/fillmore.asp

Looks cool
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:52 pm »
I can't count how many times I've seen a band at the 9:30 Club say "this is the best club in the country" or "this is our favorite place to play" or "you guys are so lucky to have the 9:30 Club". That's not going to change just because a new venue opens up. I'm not intrigued by much of what I see announced at Fillmore SS. I was concerned when Ram's Head opened up (and for a while they did get a LOT of good shows that the 9:30 didn't get), but the 9:30 still is a jewel that bands will go out of their way to book if they can get it. How many times have you seen a band play at a House of Blues that said, "MAN, we LOVE playing here!"? Please. Corporate venues are lame.

I don't disagree with pretty much any of this.. we all know the 930 Club is the best club in the country

thats not the issue... its more like "Ok the 930 club is the best club in the country but is the Fillmore opening going to improve my concertgoing at all?"

I'd have to say that based on the early indications its pretty clear it is.. at worse it will be somewhere else to catch rock bands and if you like them and they can't/don't play the 930 I don't see anything wrong with checking them out at the Fillmore..

Mobius

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:40 pm »
Of course Enrique should walk the 10 blocks and see Cheap Trick.  I'm sure he'll enjoy it.  And of course Live Nation put out press releases saying they would try to reflect the community.  But its not authentic, and that's a disservice.  If DC subsidized putting a Panera Bread where Busboys and Poets originated, the residents would have a place to get coffee and WiFi . . .and bread . . .which is nice . . .but an opportunity for true vitality (which of course resulted from B&P) would have been retarded by something stagnant (even if Panera tried to 'reflect community').

People talk sh*t about Birchmere, but I'd be surprised if people don't respect the Birchmere.

wml7

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 02:07:08 pm »
Dunno if these have been posted:

Pictures of construction from the inside and out:

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgtmpl.asp?url=/content/DGS/DBDC/RegionalProjectPages/SilverSpringProjects/fillmore.asp

Looks cool

damn, that is some corporate swag  ;D

hutch

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:41 pm »
Of course Enrique should walk the 10 blocks and see Cheap Trick.  I'm sure he'll enjoy it.  And of course Live Nation put out press releases saying they would try to reflect the community.  But its not authentic, and that's a disservice.  If DC subsidized putting a Panera Bread where Busboys and Poets originated, the residents would have a place to get coffee and WiFi . . .and bread . . .which is nice . . .but an opportunity for true vitality (which of course resulted from B&P) would have been retarded by something stagnant (even if Panera tried to 'reflect community').

People talk sh*t about Birchmere, but I'd be surprised if people don't respect the Birchmere.

crazy.. there were DECADES for other people to build a concert venue in Silver Spring.. nobody did. the birchmere pulled out.. IMP only seemed to get interested/ panties in a bunch when Montgomery County and LN reached their agreement..

Moreover, I'm not so sure the concertgoer isn't better served by having LN have a major club presence in the area than by IMP expanding its empire.. Lets remember: IMP is the one that runs the show in town.

people hate Live Nation and everythingn about it.. if Live Nation hadn't built the Fillmore we'd have the coolest club full of personality etc. built by IMP without taxpayer subsidies... and pigs fly...ok maybe, but I'm skeptical... IMP seems very comfortable with its current setup... when it has bigger shows it rents out DAR (substandard sound) or Strathmore or now the Kastles stadium.. it also books at Ramshead and MPP..I mean IMP has it all already... its going to keep doing great.. but having another player, I think, could be good for the concert consumer

the 930 hardly ever books Latin rock acts. I might not like Live Nation but its Live Nation venues putting on Andres Calamaro's first US tour.. and I will gladly go to NYC to check it out and I hope he comes back and plays the Fillmore cause I know the 930 Club ain't doing it.

again , lets remember that we all know the 930 is the best club in the US et.. we all know LN and Montgomery County pulled a shady deal that did not benefit taxpayers, and we all know LN is on the hall of shame list of companies..

BUt at the end of the day when I saw Mark Knopfler at the Warner Theatre who gave a rats ass if it was a Live nation venue? same with Elvis Costello and many others!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:39:42 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:20 pm »
That lineup really does make Live Nation look like the Walmart of live music.

And Hutch, what makes you think they will book Latin rock? The vague comment by that woman about "reflecting the community?"

احمد

hutch

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »
That lineup really does make Live Nation look like the Walmart of live music.

And Hutch, what makes you think they will book Latin rock? The vague comment by that woman about "reflecting the community?"

that comment plus the fact that she specifically mentioned "rock en espanol" and that its a completely underserved market  with a huge hole waiting to be filled (a market which IMP has "gifted" to the State Theatre; some of their best performing shows are latin rock.. Enanitos Verdes consistently sells out for example. Los autenticos decadentes virtually sold out the State and then sold out Black Cat [filled way over capacity with people including me outside trying to get in])..

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:25:40 pm by hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »
A music club should reflect the character of the community.  It should have a soul.  A personality.  People are just calling bullshit.  This place is a strictly corporate entity, with no soul,

this has been my experience at every HoB i've been to - souless.  trying waaaaay to hard to package rock 'n' roll: guitars on the wall!  posters of shows the venue was in no way associated with!  vintage '60's car in the lobby! 

this IS your dad's rock and roll club.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »
You sound more like a teenager than a 35 year old who's old enough to be the father of a teenager.

A music club should reflect the character of the community.  It should have a soul.  A personality.  People are just calling bullshit.  This place is a strictly corporate entity, with no soul,

this has been my experience at every HoB i've been to - souless.  trying waaaaay to hard to package rock 'n' roll: guitars on the wall!  posters of shows the venue was in no way associated with!  vintage '60's car in the lobby! 

this IS your dad's rock and roll club.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »
Boring.

People bitch about how "corporate" and "cookie cutter" a venue is and who gives a shit? People bitch about the shitty quality of a venue, how much the crowd sucks, how awful the acoustics are, how shitty the bookings are, how much better their first album was better than their fifth. Get over it. Don't bitch about spending your money, or someone else spending money. You can not spend it and that's fine. If you wanna spend 300$ and expect to be treated like royalty you're not the only one in the same boat, a shit load of other people spent the same amount of money. If Queens of the Stone Age were playing in an alley just through their amps I'd think it was the best show ever becuase for it's about the music. I've seen awful shows at 930 Club and I've seen amazing shows at Ottobar. The experience is what you make it. Ottobar is a shit hole, but with the right attitude it's totally awesome.

It's just so boring, everyone here will go to The Fillmore and then shit on it and bla bla. Get over it.

9:30 Club is for sellouts.
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
remember that the 930/imp has barely put on ANY latin music

what do you expect, gregorian chanting every third friday?
(o|o)

Mobius

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 03:42:30 pm »

It's just so boring, everyone here will go to The Fillmore and then shit on it and bla bla. Get over it.

I don't think its boring.  Its a pretty interesting philosophical discussion. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

I don't think its boring.  Its a pretty interesting philosophical discussion. 
Sure, but at the end of the day it's just a bunch of bitching and there's so much of it on this board. Yes, I can post elsewhere or not read it, but the threads I DO like to read sometimes wander off into that and it's just annoying. There should just be a bitching thread hahaha

Me, I'm excited to check out the venue. A new venue? Totally awesome. Who cares if it's all polished and fake old posters, I'm goin for the music and what not.
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:43 pm »
hopefully like the birchmere . . . they'll have good food.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27:38 pm »
Im wondering if like other LN venues (ie Irving Plaza) that there is now a service charge to buy tix at the box office. Granted its not as high as the service charge online, but I think its still like $4 or $5. I nearly had a meltdown buying Howard Jones tix - but realized I wanted to see HoJo too much.

If they wanted to really be helping out fans, theyd find a way to reduce their service charges which are becoming astronomical.

Im sure the FSS will be almost a duplicate of Irving Plaza for shows. So if youre curious who might be showing up - just check out their site. Maybe theyll start giving out apples and posters again, although The Fillmore might have already stopped that. Im sure Smackie could comment.
HeyLa