Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 126620 times)

Mobius

Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 05:11:23 pm »
Would it be accurate to say that Irving Plaza used to be better before it became a Fillmore franchise and now is getting absolutely crushed by the Bowery venues, is unloved, and is essentially irrelevant?? 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:16:42 pm by Mobius »

notme

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »
i am not going unless they is valet parking.

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »
$4.50 per ticket in fees to buy a ticket at the Birchmere box office. $4.50 in fees to buy a ticket at the door.

Im wondering if like other LN venues (ie Irving Plaza) that there is now a service charge to buy tix at the box office. Granted its not as high as the service charge online, but I think its still like $4 or $5. I nearly had a meltdown buying Howard Jones tix - but realized I wanted to see HoJo too much.

If they wanted to really be helping out fans, theyd find a way to reduce their service charges which are becoming astronomical.

Im sure the FSS will be almost a duplicate of Irving Plaza for shows. So if youre curious who might be showing up - just check out their site. Maybe theyll start giving out apples and posters again, although The Fillmore might have already stopped that. Im sure Smackie could comment.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 09:25:14 am »
it's a good thing that cheap trick show didn't involve GBV otherwise fake mustaches would have been required....

did anyone checkout the website for underground rebel bingo (which is quite possibly the STUPIDEST name for an event ever, given they hold it in among other places Ibiza and Las Vegas).  hopefully the first "hipster" invasion of Silver Spring will piss off the NIMBYs...

i vote when they have their first 2 for 1 LivingSocial offer, we get in on the deal and show up wearing our 930 club finery.  I suspect that wont take to long to happen :) 

Did you see yesterday's Groupon for the lube?  Hilariously offered the same day as the the Walmore annoucement
T.Rex

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:34 pm »
i guess someone has to pay for all the Live Nation execs, Montgomery County pols, etc...

Rack

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08:38 am »
Ive never been a huge fan of Irving Plaza before or after the whole Fillmore mess. They were a LN venue tho before they went to Fillmore (not sure if they were once privately held - which Id imagine they were). Either way - it sucks going there a lot more now as Ill be paying more for a ticket regardless of how I get it. Sightlines suck, beer prices way high, etc.

I just avoid nearly all the shows at LN venues. Bowery has kind of taken over most of NYC, so in general they are seeing some of the best shows. Personally, Id rather see a show at The Bell House or Knitting Factory or anywhere thats not either of the 2. As Bowery has most the shows, thats much harder - but given a choice between Bowery Ballroom and The Bell House, Ill take the Bell House everytime (if possible). I do love the Mercury Lounge, tho. At least Bowery doesnt charge a fee to buy tix at the box office.

Would it be accurate to say that Irving Plaza used to be better before it became a Fillmore franchise and now is getting absolutely crushed by the Bowery venues, is unloved, and is essentially irrelevant?? 

HeyLa

atomicfront

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »
Boring.

People bitch about how "corporate" and "cookie cutter" a venue is and who gives a shit? People bitch about the shitty quality of a venue, how much the crowd sucks, how awful the acoustics are, how shitty the bookings are, how much better their first album was better than their fifth. Get over it. Don't bitch about spending your money, or someone else spending money. You can not spend it and that's fine. If you wanna spend 300$ and expect to be treated like royalty you're not the only one in the same boat, a shit load of other people spent the same amount of money. If Queens of the Stone Age were playing in an alley just through their amps I'd think it was the best show ever becuase for it's about the music. I've seen awful shows at 930 Club and I've seen amazing shows at Ottobar. The experience is what you make it. Ottobar is a shit hole, but with the right attitude it's totally awesome.

It's just so boring, everyone here will go to The Fillmore and then shit on it and bla bla. Get over it.

9:30 Club is for sellouts.

I much prefer the Ottobar to the 930 club.  Well except when they over sell the venue and you can't get in the front room otherwise it is much better.  And has cheaper beer and friendlier crowds. 

atomicfront

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »
I am not overly impressed with the initial shows.  Perhaps it will be like a Nissan Pavillion vs MPP type of deal where Filmore gets more has-beens and 930 gets up and comers. 

Bags

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Well, I LOVE Cheap Trick, but $54 is hefty.  And it's a Tuesday. 

When you go to look at buying tix, they give the early bird presale. Is this a LN presale?  (There's one for Psych Furs as well).  Wondering how you get on that presale list, though I'm not sure you'll need to worry about presales right away...

hutch

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:35 am »
geez..yah..looks like to get in the door at fillmore you're looking at at least 44$ (for the $35 shows)...

not cheap.then again not surprising..

notme

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 02:09:39 pm »
judging from the shows they announced today, it looks like they are competing with the birchmere.

Sir HC

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »
Any Spanish speaking shows listed?

hutch

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 03:04:23 pm »
I dont' see any new shows listed anywhere. .not on live nation.com not on pollstar... not on facebook..

i can't even find the fillmore website..however

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:53 pm »
We already saw the grand opening and their biggest act of all with the Dog & Pony Show with Ike Leggett trying to justify this corrupt farce they pulled on the public.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:26:40 pm by Jaguar »

travelinbeat

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:56 am »
I know I may just be being paranoid, but I just realized something... Rock The Bells snubbed DC this year; deciding not to return for what would have been their third year at MPP (an IMP venue).  Nonetheless, they did decide to host Talib Kwali and Mos Def at The Fillmore in September... is this possibly the beginning of the whacky behind-the-scenes contractual obligations affect who plays where and when and why?