Author Topic: How can indie artists get opening gigs at the 930 club?  (Read 7944 times)

WhoNeedzSkool

How can indie artists get opening gigs at the 930 club?
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:25 am »
How can indie artists get opening gigs at the 930 club? When calling the club employees give out the following email address: booking@930.com but no one ever responds back. With that said what is the ultimate way of getting opening gigs? Who is best person to contact directly just to get a yes or no answer? I am looking forward to great insight. Thanks.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: How can indie artists get opening gigs at the 930 club?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:29 am »
How can indie artists get opening gigs at the 930 club? When calling the club employees give out the following email address: booking@930.com but no one ever responds back. With that said what is the ultimate way of getting opening gigs? Who is best person to contact directly just to get a yes or no answer? I am looking forward to great insight. Thanks.

That is the correct avenue.  While I'm sure it would be nice if someone wrote back and said "Sorry we're not interested" but instead you get nothing. Sucks doesn't it, but I'm sure they get lots of requests :)

I'm guessing the ultimate way of getting opening gigs is to first be a good booking agent, and MAIL a press kit to the club.  No club will take you seriously if you're sending them a link to a Soundcloud, Facebook or even worse, a Myspace page.

Just a few tips :D
3MTA3

hutch

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:13 am »

That is the correct avenue.  While I'm sure it would be nice if someone wrote back and said "Sorry we're not interested" but instead you get nothing. Sucks doesn't it, but I'm sure they get lots of requests :)

I'm guessing the ultimate way of getting opening gigs is to first be a good booking agent, and MAIL a press kit to the club.  No club will take you seriously if you're sending them a link to a Soundcloud, Facebook or even worse, a Myspace page.

a few tips from someone guessing?

let the staff handle the questions here.. i'm guessing by answering this you've only made it less likely there will be an answer from the staff.

its a good question.. i have a friend in a band and i too would be interested to know.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:36 am »

let the staff handle the questions here.. i'm guessing by answering this you've only made it less likely there will be an answer from the staff.

its a good question.. i have a friend in a band and i too would be interested to know.

I also play in a few bands and have played at venues across the country, not guessing at all.

Also, if the CLUB tells you to use that email address when you call, that's probably the answer, don't you think? I'm pretty sure that the higher ups at the club don't just relay incorrect information to people who would be asked this question when calling the club...
3MTA3

hutch

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:35:28 am »

I also play in a few bands and have played at venues across the country, not guessing at all.

Also, if the CLUB tells you to use that email address when you call, that's probably the answer, don't you think? I'm pretty sure that the higher ups at the club don't just relay incorrect information to people who would be asked this question when calling the club...

fine. let the 930 go on record either saying that or ignoring the question... its a valid question deserving an answer. .if they don't want to reply to requests or submissions when they are not interested they can say that..

I don't see what our own personal theories have to do with it.. thsi is an FAQ not the general discussion forum.

at least thats the way i see it.

at least thats the way i see it..

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:01:59 am »

fine. let the 930 go on record either saying that or ignoring the question... its a valid question deserving an answer. .if they don't want to reply to requests or submissions when they are not interested they can say that..

I don't see what our own personal theories have to do with it.. thsi is an FAQ not the general discussion forum.

It's not my personal theory. Maybe you have a personal theory, but the correct answer is email booking@930.com. That's the real answer, regardless if I don't work for the club. That's the real answer.

Sorry, that whoever started this thread doesn't get a reply back. I'm sorry Hutch, your friends didn't get a reply back. I've been told "no" on several occasions when I've inquired about booking as an opener.

So apparently, that must be the correct way to get correspondence with the club about being an opening act (Which answers the OPs question)

3MTA3

hutch

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 02:14:03 pm »

It's not my personal theory. Maybe you have a personal theory, but the correct answer is email booking@930.com. That's the real answer, regardless if I don't work for the club. That's the real answer.

Sorry, that whoever started this thread doesn't get a reply back. I'm sorry Hutch, your friends didn't get a reply back. I've been told "no" on several occasions when I've inquired about booking as an opener.

So apparently, that must be the correct way to get correspondence with the club about being an opening act (Which answers the OPs question)

what we have here is a failure to communicate..

we ALL know about what you are "supposed" to do.. the original poster is asking for a little more guidance than that... wondering about not having a gotten a reply back etc.

for example, does the 930 book local indie - presumably unsigned- bands? should he expect an answer? if he doesn't get an answer does that mean, for sure, that his music or whatever was reviewed and he has been turned down?

all you've done is hijack his question when you have nothing to add other than what he already knew..what we all knew...

i think the 930 doesn't give space to local indie bands... not passing judgment on it.

Yada

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »
Hijack the thread??

it's not hard to wade through a whopping five responses.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
Would it have been nicer to say "they didn't respond back because your indie band you think is awesome, actually sucks?"

The correct channels were confirmed with "how does my indie band get to open at the club"   Maybe they need a better booking agent then? If the club tells their employees to give out the booking@930.com as the way to inquire about being an opening act, then THAT'S IT. (Unless of course you have a booking agent with deeper contacts)  If they wanted you to know the exact person that handles these things, wouldn't they have the people answering the phones give that out? Wouldn't they say "Oh you need to speak to so-and-so"  The answer is NO, because they've already set up the way they want to handle bookings

Go to the RnR Hotel's site..you get a form to fill out. Go to the Black Cat's site, guess what, it's bookings@blackcatdc.com

If you're REALLY wanting to be professional and want to play at a club, MAIL your press kits in. They'll get more attention than another email that's all the same.

I've not hijacked this thread, I've actually provided some useful information. I gave some advice on what is the professional way about getting booked at larger venues and how not to get lost in the crowd of emails. If the guy was wanting to find the "ultimate way to play the club" that to me sounds like asking for some advice. Something the club's employees aren't going to post on their forum, but maybe someone in the general forums could help...

Plus, I'm sure by this point, if any of the information I've stated was incorrect, I know for a fact that Ed or Shadrach would have deleted what I wrote and chimed in ;)
3MTA3

hutch

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
well I still think its unnecessary for you to chime in.. he wasn't asking you he was asking the venue..

having said that you have made some good points..

;D

wml7

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 05:47:03 pm »
I thought Joshy gave the yay or nay on bands  ;D

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:10 pm »
well I still think its unnecessary for you to chime in.. he wasn't asking you he was asking the venue..

;D

LOL which I'll be a smartass and say "he already asked the venue and didn't like the answer he was given which was to use the email address the venue provided" :D

Sounds like when someone gets thrown out of the club and doesn't like the reason so they try to get the "manager"

My first post which was a day after the OP had posted and no response from the venue seemed like a fine reply. Said it was the correct way, and then you chimed in saying that it was just me guessing...so actually I think YOU are the one who hijacked this thread Hutch!!!  :P
3MTA3

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »
I thought Joshy gave the yay or nay on bands  ;D

You're SOOOO behind the times now. Josh passed that torch to Ross (aka mini Josh)
3MTA3

wml7

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 06:03:15 pm »
I think the best way for an indie artist to open up is bring Jeff Mangum with you  ;D

hutch

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:13 pm »

;D

LOL which I'll be a smartass and say "he already asked the venue and didn't like the answer he was given which was to use the email address the venue provided" :D

Sounds like when someone gets thrown out of the club and doesn't like the reason so they try to get the "manager"

My first post which was a day after the OP had posted and no response from the venue seemed like a fine reply. Said it was the correct way, and then you chimed in saying that it was just me guessing...so actually I think YOU are the one who hijacked this thread Hutch!!!  :P

I accept your full unequivocal apology. Don't do it again though...

;D