Author Topic: Anyone know if DCCD has closed yet?  (Read 4741 times)

Dare

Anyone know if DCCD has closed yet?
« on: December 18, 2003, 03:39:00 pm »
Kicking myself for not hearing about it sooner ...

Thanks.

SalParadise

Re: Anyone know if DCCD has closed yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
it might as well. anything worth buying is long gone.

Dare

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
Even the previously-high-priced avant stuff in the back?

markie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
Whish to me is odd as 25% off is not that much off......

But yes it is still open and it is still 25% off, according to my wife who works on that street.

paige

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »
i think it's still open... and yea most of the stuff is really picked over.. can't they go ANY lower than 25%? there is probably some stuff there that i'd buy if it were 5 bucks but wouldn't even consider if it were any pricier. still, high prices and horrible parking aside, i'm going to miss dccd.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 03:50:00 pm »
I saw a sign that today (Thursday) is the last day. Stuff was 40% off as of Tuesday. Never could find anything I wanted there even when they had a full stock.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 06:04:00 pm »
I know...I was never really that impressed with it. I miss Flying Saucer Discs (which used to be across the street) more. Even Olsson's used to be great, now it's just lame. There aren't very many good record stores in DC. I wish that Amoeba could set up a store like the one at Haight Ashbury in DC. Even the Soundgarden in Baltimore is better than anything DC has.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 06:23:00 pm »
Pretty much right on target with everything you said, Bunnyman.

Originally posted by bunnyman:
  I know...I was never really that impressed with it. I miss Flying Saucer Discs (which used to be across the street) more. Even Olsson's used to be great, now it's just lame. There aren't very many good record stores in DC. I wish that Amoeba could set up a store like the one at Haight Ashbury in DC. Even the Soundgarden in Baltimore is better than anything DC has.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 06:30:00 pm »
ditto

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 06:33:00 pm »
i think the three of you are nuts

well not really, but I found a lot if things in DCCD that Olssons would never carry (not even before its decline), and Olssons use to be my favorite store

I am not saying that DCCD carried a lot of different kinds of music, but the depth of their inventory in a narrow area of music was fantastic

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 06:51:00 pm »
I guess I'm more of the used CD buyer. Probably at least 85% of my used cd collection is used. Would be closer to 100%, but some things I'm too impatient to wait until I find it used.

DCCD's used cd selection was a bad joke. You could get the same cd's that they were selling for $8.99 for a buck  down the street (most of them weren't worth more than a buck).

Originally posted by pollard:
  i think the three of you are nuts

well not really, but I found a lot if things in DCCD that Olssons would never carry (not even before its decline), and Olssons use to be my favorite store

I am not saying that DCCD carried a lot of different kinds of music, but the depth of their inventory in a narrow area of music was fantastic

Bags

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 10:38:00 pm »
Markie, my 'ditto' wasn't really about DCCD, but a general lack of good record stores in DC (especially something along the lines of Amoeba, though I know that's a pipe dream) -- and I thought Flying Saucer had a better used collection with better prices.

I'm really just a big hypocritical pussy though, because I end up shopping at borders a lot -- you can listen to just about any CD in the store, so I check out stuff I've read about or heard about but haven't heard.  And I usually end up leaving with an armful of CDs.

walkman

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 11:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Markie, my 'ditto' wasn't really about DCCD, but a general lack of good record stores in DC (especially something along the lines of Amoeba, though I know that's a pipe dream) -- and I thought Flying Saucer had a better used collection with better prices.

I'm really just a big hypocritical pussy though, because I end up shopping at borders a lot -- you can listen to just about any CD in the store, so I check out stuff I've read about or heard about but haven't heard.  And I usually end up leaving with an armful of CDs.
The situation is really pretty pathetic, seeing as DC seems to have a fine quotient of hipsters and indie kids.  The problem is those damn tenley punks who refuse to buy anything, as it would be against their principles.

I usually save my money, and then splurge in NY...or Toronto...or San Fran...or Philly...or anywhere else...

Jaguär

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2003, 03:15:00 am »
Personally, I can't help but think that the real problem is that the rents in the area are way too high for any record store to stay in business. We're (rightfully) rebelling against inflated CD prices but the businesses are trying to stay alive with outrageous overheads.