Author Topic: 2012 albums  (Read 46068 times)

azaghal1981

Re: 2012 albums
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 11:50:36 am »
Unlike the other "classic lineup" records, nothing really got stuck in my head after listening. Not bad but not up to the absurdly high standard the other three albums set.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:46 pm »
Unlike the other "classic lineup" records, nothing really got stuck in my head after listening. Not bad but not up to the absurdly high standard the other three albums set.

Waves by Sprout
Imperial Racehorsing by Pollard      are up with anything they've done... if the fuzzed out guitar on Imperial doesn't get you well...

with GBV you have to listen to stuff a bunch of times.. one can't pop it in once .. not saying Azaghal you did that.. just a cautionary tale for those that may be giving them a first chance.. the albums grow on you and the half fleshed out lo-fi vignettes that pepper the album eventually - in a way by feeding and building off of the album- eventually mean something..

I remember the first time I heard Alien Lanes I thought it was crap compared to Bee Thousand.. a few weeks later I preferred it and I do to this day...

The Pollard chorus on the last track:"If you want some, if you need some.. " and the harmonies "AAHH AHH AAAH.." are classic GBV

The album is full of moments like that.. .

Other highlights are Either Nelson (I assume he's talking about Rick Nelson but can't tell who the other is) and Cyclone

I'm far from a "love everything they do..." guy although I did love them from just about day one.. I remember talking about them with Bob Mould about 1994 when they were breaking out and he was just as enamoured as everyone was (Sonic Youth, Breeders, etc)...  but they lost me a bit with Mag Earwhig... to have Demos, Sprout, Mitchell and Fennell with JIMMY POLLARD too.. recording a classic type old school GBV album... its a good birthday present for me. Can't wait til they tour...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:07:41 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 12:14:18 pm »
I did give it only one full listen. But tracks like "hunting knife," "Game of Pricks," "smothered in Hugs," "Tractor Rape Chain" and "Queen Directory" just to name a few were imprinted onto my brain instantly also after the first listen. I never ruled out this new one being a grower but that was not the case for me with the others.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 12:19:56 pm »
I did give it only one full listen. But tracks like "hunting knife," "Game of Pricks," "smothered in Hugs," "Tractor Rape Chain" and "Queen Directory" just to name a few were imprinted onto my brain instantly also after the first listen. I never ruled out this new one being a grower but that was not the case for me with the others.

one listen? Sorry .. that just doesn't cut it with GBV, mac.. no way.

Its very easy to read that the critics and hipsters that preceded you all think Bee Thousand is the cats miau and get shaped by it.. you need to listen to stuff for yourself without that baggage.. don't worry what others say. Of course Bee Thousand may have more "immediate" songs but there's plenty of GBV that requires you to let them burrow their way into your skin.. an album like Tonics and Twisted Chasers would seem underwhelming at first listen.

I remember when Alien Lanes came out and it was pretty controversial. .there wasn't any opinion it was the awesome album people think its now..it was more of a disssapointment after bee thousand...heck just look at the All Music Guide review to see that.. 3.5 stars? On what planet. Its a 5 star album.

I guess what I'm saying is people have to let the songs work on their own without any of the surrounding context.. otherwise of course an attempt by a long defunct band to recapture a sound from 15 years ago is not going to measure up. How could it?

ANyways to each their own but the way kids listen to albums now is just no way at all... "oh let me listen to 10 new albums today and see"... How could that make any impression? In the old days you'd buy a tape and listen to it for a few weeks cause it was all you could afford and guess what? Eventually- that way- you figured out for yourself what had value and what didn't! Nowadays.. oh let me streamm it once on NPR while I am at work.. come on!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:25:04 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »
Ugh. I get tired so easily these days. Bowing out on this after all. :( Lame I know. Especially since SVI have been quiet live performancewise as of late.

I know you live far out now but is there any chance of you coming out for the SVI/Ceremony show next week?

احمد

killsaly

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 01:54:45 am »
I didnt catch the first band.  Ceremony/SVI more than made up for it.  It was weird seeing Ceremony play as a four piece.

killsaly

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 10:50:11 am »
Baltimore's post rock instrumental duo the Water release debut long player January 31...
http://thewater.bandcamp.com/album/scandals-and-animals
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:01:04 am by killsaly »

Yada

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »
M. Ward's new album comes out 4/10.

killsaly

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »
Upcoming Tribute to Dune album on Phantasma Disques
http://phantasmadisques.bigcartel.com/product/pd-040-various-a-sound-installation-tribute-to-dune-cdr

Tracklist for Tribute to Dune CDR:

1. XxeNa - Homenaje a Satie
2. Criϟne Ұ ₮hr✇uR♁♁f -Sleepers Awakened in a Floating Fat Man
3. Slow Head - House Atreides
4. Pwin Teaks and the Children of New H - The Spice
5. OS OVNI - Sleeper Awoke
6. Silver Strain - The Jihad of Muad'Dib
7. BL▲CK CEILING - MVTHVR
8. Solo1 - bluewithinblue
9. Hexenjagd - Dune
10. [tlr] - become the worm {feat. d. bene tleilax}
11. LUTTO LENTO - more_than_3_kilometres
12. Nathaniel Ritter - Tleilaxu Metaphors
13. WHISPERING GLADES - SAPIENSA
14+ tba
(my track in bold)

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »
Just dropped this album today. Hope you guys like it.

Background info.
Originally, C Royal was offering spots on his "Royal Tavern's" album for emcees to be a part of on the Justus League (9th Wonder, Little Brother, etc.) message board. Ardamus contacted C Royal and they completed 4 cuts on the project alongside Mallz, Chaundon, Society Of Gentlemen, and other counterparts on the album. Ardamus, in the meantime, was involved with his projects with his crew FAR EXP and other solo projects that he was completing. C Royal contacted Ardamus for an idea for a project and Ardamus agreed without hesitation.

The Album/Singles.
After back and forth emails and phone calls to establish a constant theme for the album, "The Glass Is Half Full Of" seem to fit because of the contrast of the hard and smooth production of C Royal and the content of what Ardamus was delivering. In addition, Ardamus informed his peers of C Royal's production and he got the nod from the crews and affiliations Ardamus has in Washington, DC. In addition, Cee H. Blak aka Blak Lungz who used to be in the Food Chain Collective contacted him because of the development for Shotgun Daisy Records. Just recently, the label had dropped an EP that was featuring his work with Joe Beats (the producer of Non-Prophets with Sage Francis and other great instrumental works). After a video was completed for one of the first songs entitled "Indeed Loyalty", Blak was sent the video and this lead to a three-single deal for the duo to have digital distribution through various outlets.

Special thanks and notations.The most high of course.To all the artists who were selected in the process of this album: my FAR EXP members (Flex Mathews, Fleetwood DeVille, RNL), Charlie Bucket, Deborah Bond, Chaquis Maliq, and Enoch 7th Prophet. Toney Smith for the additional recording at Vintage Vibez Studio. A very big thanks to Lauren from Snarky Studios and the homie, Terry, for both putting together the visuals. And a very big shotout goes to Blak Lungz for hooking up the three single deal with Shotgun Daisy Records. And most importantly?.you, if you have supported this project. Peace.

The album is available at the link below:
http://ardamus.bandcamp.com/album/the-glass-is-half-full-of

killsaly

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 11:09:57 am »
Just dropped this album today. Hope you guys like it.
Im digging the first half so far.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »
thanks man. been dropping singles for it on iTunes, Beatport, Juno, and etc. want to get the word out as much as i can. greatly appreciate it.

killsaly

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:50 pm »
Finished and loved it.  So refreshing to hear nice local hip hop coming out.  If you ever want anyone to remix your stuff, drop me a pm.

killsaly

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »
Slow Head - Gaza

http://slowhead.bandcamp.com/

30 tracks of bliss.  5 bucks.

killsaly

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »
Pay what you will EP from Secret Mountains!!!
http://friendsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/winter-sessions