Author Topic: People who suck: Ted Leonsis  (Read 21818 times)

eltee

Re: People who suck: Ted Leonsis
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:31 am »
This guy pretty much sums it up.

SammyT1
2/3/2012 6:16 PM EST
Thirty years of Wizards misery has built up years worth of valid criticism, duly earned. Leonsis should spend more time fixing his team than getting into playground shin-kicking contests with sports writers who, unlike Leonsis, are at least doing their jobs. Leonsis, it is now quite obvious, is too concerned with perception, marketing, gloss and sheen, and not concerned enough about putting good management and players in place. I had hoped the change in ownership would be a breath of fresh air for the Wiz: new owner, new management, new outlook. Instead, nothing has changed, except that we have traded Old Man Pollin for Ronald McDonald, relentlessly marketing and stuffing his bunk product down our throats. Honestly Leonsis, turn your team around before playing nanny-nanny-boo-boo with sports beat writers trying to make an honest living.
Um, you sorta did with a word change or two.;)
He's a nice guy. Have had friends work for him, nothing but good things said with stories to back them up. They also say he is very passionate and cares about the teams and the center.
Maybe he's a fine owner, having the money to support the team, but he just needs to bring in someone better to handle the athletics/team...? Also, (and some of you might relate) when someone is passionate about a team they can lose sight of constructive criticism and go defensive.
I'll agree though it's sort of annoying when folks high up or not, debate through their blog. Perhaps he really thinks he is explaining himself and stands behind what he writes without realizing he is coming across petty or misinformed. (writers & critics can do the same though)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:20:10 am by Nomeimporta »

Yada

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:52 am »
We can end this thread right now...

Washington sports are a JOKE.  :o

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:37 am »
I think we can all agree that Ted needs to hire a better beer buyer. As it is, it looks like someone just went down to the local Giant and said "let's just have all those".

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/a_guide_to_verizon_centers_bee.html

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:56 pm »
I definitely don't agree that he hasn't put the right people in place, the Caps are one of the best rosters in the league, they're just all spoiled and lost respect for... I guess the whole sport or somethnig. I called the Caps to miss the playoffs halfway through last year if they didn't get their shit together. They did alright against the Rangers and completely shit the bed against the Lightning. This year they're dead in the water and NOTHING seems to be changnig. Sometimes they score 5 goals and other times they score nothing and barely break 20 shots on net. It doesn't make any fucking sense to me.

Wizards are a joke. A bad one at that.

I just want the Nats season to start at this point.
‼‼?‼‼

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 01:07:42 pm »
(o|o)

hutch

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:39:06 pm »
so because the Wizards and Capitals aren't doing well Ted sucks?

Didn't he just buy the Wizards like two years ago? Haven't the Capitals been in the playoffs most seasons since Ted bought them?

You have a weird definition of suck.. I'd hate to see what you say about Snyder.

Yada

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »

Mobius

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 02:21:10 pm »
its easy to understand any fear and loathing of dc sports fans who see another owner who made made his money in marketing, characterizes himself as 'a fan' first and foremost, and may understand marketing better than sports ownership.  leonsis seems like a good guy (unlike snyder) and his book 'the business of happiness' was a decent read, but can he put substance behind the style?  he's open to advice.  great.  but who gives a sh*t if he himself doesn't implement a vision for a winning franchise.  the wizards were pathetic last year and even more pathetic this year.  leonsis' success with caps coincided with having best player in the world . . .its not like leonsis did anything to make ovechkin so good . . .and now they are regressing.  

what i don't understand is why a smart good guy can't recognize and attract the best people to run the teams.  i understand why snyder can only attract sycophants and past-their-primers looking to exploit him for a final payday / jobs for kids.  but leonsis should attract talent, right?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:26:17 pm by Mobius »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 03:23:29 pm »
i believe both ernie and mcphee were already in place when ted bought the teams. a better question might be, "why is ted so reluctant to start over at the top"
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »
In the case of Grunfeld, surely it's the cool mustache.

i believe both ernie and mcphee were already in place when ted bought the teams. a better question might be, "why is ted so reluctant to start over at the top"

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:53 pm »

Great call. I believe Ted is reluctant to shitcan Ernie because Ted grew up a Knicks fan and Ernie was GM of the Shits for way too long.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 11:49:42 pm »
I knew that all sports in DC were a total joke when renaming the Bullets was announced as a move towards being more sensitive towards society and value, then they go rename the BULLETS to the WIZARDS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Great choice there guys.  So much for your inane attempts at being politically correct!
FUKIT

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 02:54:30 pm »
I knew that all sports in DC were a total joke when renaming the Bullets was announced as a move towards being more sensitive towards society and value, then they go rename the BULLETS to the WIZARDS!

Great choice there guys.  So much for your inane attempts at being politically correct!

That's nothing compared to the impending PC move of renaming the redskins.. That's when I'll leave the area forever.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:31 am »

That's nothing compared to the impending PC move of renaming the redskins.. That's when I'll leave the area forever.

I never followed this as being logical either.  A football team is strong, powerful, brace (OK maybe that one is a stretch) so how is it disrespectful to name a team after anything?  Does ANYONE know of a native american who is personally offended by this team name?  Not some movement, group, or politician with an agenda, just a normal every day person?  We would be a lot better off if the government and powers that be would quit spending so much time and resources worrying that someone somewhere MIGHT be offended by a word.  If you really get down to it, you can pick ANY word in the language and I bet SOMEONE will end up being offended by it...  Get over it and move on with things that really matter!
FUKIT

James Ford

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 11:20:37 am »
The last I checked, movements and groups *were* made up of normal everyday people.

If you wanted to honor Native Americans, why not name the team after a tribe name or some other actual Native American word rather than something derogatory?

Wouldn't Washington Niggers be more appropriate than Washington Redskins anyway? I mean, how many Native Americans are even on the team anyway?

I never followed this as being logical either.  A football team is strong, powerful, brace (OK maybe that one is a stretch) so how is it disrespectful to name a team after anything?  Does ANYONE know of a native american who is personally offended by this team name?  Not some movement, group, or politician with an agenda, just a normal every day person?  We would be a lot better off if the government and powers that be would quit spending so much time and resources worrying that someone somewhere MIGHT be offended by a word.  If you really get down to it, you can pick ANY word in the language and I bet SOMEONE will end up being offended by it...  Get over it and move on with things that really matter!