Author Topic: People who suck: Ted Leonsis  (Read 21812 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: People who suck: Ted Leonsis
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:52 am »
i'm not sure "the government" has anything to do with the move to rename the redskins.  it's always fun to blame things on "the government", if that happens to fit your worldview, but i don't think reality supports that claim.  what branch of government is responsible for sport team names? 
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »
hasnt "the government" thrown out multiple lawsuits against the skins with regards to their mascot
o/\o

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 03:15:30 pm »
i'm not sure "the government" has anything to do with the move to rename the redskins.  it's always fun to blame things on "the government", if that happens to fit your worldview, but i don't think reality supports that claim.  what branch of government is responsible for sport team names? 

probably the same branch that gives ticker tape parades to overpaid ball throwers . . . instead of our military.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:24 am »

I said "We would be a lot better off if the government AND POWERS THAT BE would quit spending so much time and resources worrying that someone somewhere MIGHT be offended by a word."  Meaning the people who have the power to make these decisions and waste that power and their time on such silly matters.  You don't think that every politician words things so not to offend the particular group he is trying to appease?
FUKIT

edbert

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 05:53:11 pm »
I think "Penn Quarter" s/b renamed "Tedleytown"

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
The last I checked, movements and groups *were* made up of normal everyday people.

If you wanted to honor Native Americans, why not name the team after a tribe name or some other actual Native American word rather than something derogatory?

Wouldn't Washington Niggers be more appropriate than Washington Redskins anyway? I mean, how many Native Americans are even on the team anyway?

I knew that all sports in DC were a total joke when renaming the Bullets was announced as a move towards being more sensitive towards society and value, then they go rename the BULLETS to the WIZARDS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Great choice there guys.  So much for your inane attempts at being politically correct!

That's nothing compared to the impending PC move of renaming the redskins.. That's when I'll leave the area forever.

I never followed this as being logical either.  A football team is strong, powerful, brace (OK maybe that one is a stretch) so how is it disrespectful to name a team after anything?  Does ANYONE know of a native american who is personally offended by this team name?  Not some movement, group, or politician with an agenda, just a normal every day person?  We would be a lot better off if the government and powers that be would quit spending so much time and resources worrying that someone somewhere MIGHT be offended by a word.  If you really get down to it, you can pick ANY word in the language and I bet SOMEONE will end up being offended by it...  Get over it and move on with things that really matter!
Like, The Sioux?

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-02-08/us/us_north-dakota-mascot_1_fighting-sioux-nickname-and-logo-north-dakota-board?_s=PM:US
‼‼?‼‼

Yada

godsshoeshine

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »
can't decide if that's bizarrely awful or awfully bizarre

probably both
o/\o

Driveway

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:36 am »
My Caps tickets are going up about $450 for next season.  I think I'm out.  The fans seem to care about the team more than the team cares about the team at this point.   :'(

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »
My Caps tickets are going up about $450 for next season.  I think I'm out.  The fans seem to care about the team more than the team cares about the team at this point.   :'(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/leonsis-calls-capitals-loss-in-carolina-an-unacceptable-performance/2012/02/21/gIQAxEPFRR_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_sports

Oh boy! Ted went to his blog to tell everyone how outraged he is over the 5-0 loss to Carolina. Fuck you, Ted. You're responsible for this bullshit. You signed pieces of shit like Ovechkin, Semin and Backstrom (all totally incapable of being leaders), shitcanned Bruce and let George McPhee continue to operate with his head up his ass. Plus the Bullets are beyond pathetic and you whine and cry about the Post reminding everyone you can get Bullets tickets for less than $1.

I said it already and I'll say it again: Fuck you, Ted, and shut the fuck up already.

SleeplessBoy

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »
Haven't the Capitals been in the playoffs most seasons since Ted bought them?

Seven seasons in the playoffs, five out of them.  For buying a team that had just gone to its first Stanley Cup finals that's not a great follow-up.  Mind you, that finals team was McPhee's first year so it was essentially David Poile's team.

Ted used to come off well publicly, his blog really hurts him though.  He has very, very thin skin and really can't take any criticism.  He rarely takes into consideration anyone's opinion other than his own.  I have had the occasion to interact with him numerous times over the years, mainly Caps related, and I can just say that his public persona is very different from who he actually is.  But that's probably part and parcel with being able to parlay business interests into a pile of cash.  He'd just be so much better off without the blog.

The season ticket increase the team just instituted is going to put a severe dent into their plan sales, but as long as the team can play to 90% of capacity he won't care.  The team is losing a chunk of season ticket sales from long time, die hard fans, but the team's actions say they don't care and won't until the casual fan stops coming and they realize how much they damaged relations with the long suffering fans of the team.  Oh well.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »
Ted and Danny Boy are almost polar opposites publically, but one thing they have in common is they both have a ridiculous deep-seated hatred of the Post.

shemptiness

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

?My friend Seth Hurwitz gave me a Caps poncho that he bought in Mexico ? it is so ugly it is beautiful,? Leonsis later wrote on his blog. ?He insisted I wear it to rally the team! I did ? and boom ? we get the two points! Thank you Seth! Rally Poncho!?

hutch

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2012, 11:12:02 am »
I like Ted. I think people are freaking out a little too much...

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:08 pm »
Dan Snyder has really ruined the ownership in DC. He's been out and about and even the casual fan knows who he is. Casual fans don't know who the shit Ted Leonsis is. I think people freak out because they think "Oh god, another owner butting his nose into team business" or something along those lines. I know McPhee is in the hot seat now, so I can see why people would talk more about him. I've never been bothered by Ted, I do think he comes off as whiney and very thin skinned, but hey, I love the Caps and defend them as well when someone talks badly about them.
‼‼?‼‼