Author Topic: The "I can't believe there isn't a Rio thread" thread  (Read 11652 times)

vansmack

Re: The "I can't believe there isn't a Rio thread" thread
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2016, 08:40:16 pm »
He also, according to even the agreed upon current story, was robbed. If you pee on something and someone demands you give them money at gunpoint as remuneration, you were robbed.

That's bribery, not robbery.

In exchange for no further penalties, they were "asked" to pay their way out.

Robbery would have been simply taking their money without exchanging anything.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »
He also, according to even the agreed upon current story, was robbed. If you pee on something and someone demands you give them money at gunpoint as remuneration, you were robbed.

That's bribery, not robbery.

In exchange for no further penalties, they were "asked" to pay their way out.

Robbery would have been simply taking their money without exchanging anything.

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't what you lay out at least constitute "extortion"? And wouldn't the interjection of a gun (de facto force in my mind) raise the level to burglary?

I certainly don't have the right if someone owes me money to show up at their house and demand remuneration under threat of a deadly weapon.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:14 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't what you lay out at least constitute "extortion"? And wouldn't the interjection of a gun (de facto force in my mind) raise the level to burglary?

I certainly don't have the right if someone owes me money to show up at their house and demand remuneration under threat of a deadly weapon.

ROBBERY: Give me your money. (Or taking your money without you knowing)

ARMED ROBBERY: Give me your money and won't shoot you.

BRIBERY: Give me the money in your wallet and I won't turn you into the authorities.

AGGRAVATED BRIBERY: While I'm threatening you, give me your money and I won't turn you into the authorities.

EXTORTION: Go do something you wouldn't normally do and in exchange I won't do this awful thing that you won't like.
27>34

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2016, 09:16:35 pm »
Ok. Thank you for the clarification.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2016, 09:29:22 pm »
You're under the impression that if you call the cops on someone and they attempt to flee the scene (in a non-violent manner) you can detain them at gun point?

I really don't know exactly what happened or Brazilian norms for security guards.

Are you under the impression that if someone robs a bank in the US the security guards can't point a gun at the robbers?

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 09:39:27 pm »
Is the bank robber threatening people with deadly force? If so, then the actions of someone else raising a firearm falls under self defense, IMHO.

I don't think if i walk into a grocery store and knock over a cardboard cutout of Cindy Crawford and grab a stick of gum and attempt to walk out without any physical threat to another person that someone who is not an active member of law enforcement can commit assault and/or battery on me legally.

But again, I am not a real lawyer, I am a dude who watches Judge Judy. I cede to statements from real lawyers. And I'm doubly definitely-not an expert on Brazilian law.

But I understand how an American layperson can misconstrue a situation to think what happened to him as "robbery" without any intention to deceive people. I do, sort of, believe Ryan Lotche legit thought he was robbed by a cop when some dude in a uniform (he did not know 100%) stuck a gun at him and demanded money and said something (in a language he did not 100% understand).
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2016, 09:48:03 pm »
Is the bank robber threatening people with deadly force? If so, then the actions of someone else raising a firearm falls under self defense, IMHO.

I don't think if i walk into a grocery store and knock over a cardboard cutout of Cindy Crawford and grab a stick of gum and attempt to walk out without any physical threat to another person that someone who is not an active member of law enforcement can commit assault and/or battery on me legally.

But again, I am not a real lawyer, I am a dude who watches Judge Judy. I cede to statements from real lawyers. And I'm doubly definitely-not an expert on Brazilian law.

But I understand how an American layperson can misconstrue a situation to think what happened to him as "robbery" without any intention to deceive people. I do, sort of, believe Ryan Lotche legit thought he was robbed by a cop when some dude in a uniform (he did not know 100%) stuck a gun at him and demanded money and said something (in a language he did not 100% understand).

well I guess we disagree then... he was belligerent, he urinated on the floor.. tore down a sign and tried to leave when confronted by security guards.. a security guard then pointed a gun at him.....

The security guards also stated that because the Americans were belligerent and so big they felt threatened...

I am willing to say Lochte does not deserve to be crucified but I think the Brazilians in question behaved in a completely acceptable manner...

We don't know exactly why money was handed over.. what if the Americans seeked to pay in order not to have the police show up? We just don't know... The only facts everyone agrees on are Lochte:

- urinated on floor
- tore down sign
- acted belligerent
- made up a lie and then doubled down on it

Hard to take the side of Lochte on this one.....even forgetting that he made up a bogus story... .

BUT that doesn't mean he should be crucified..  like I said he didn't kill anyone....

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶