Author Topic: Apple TV - what's the point  (Read 4398 times)

thirsty moore

Apple TV - what's the point
« on: July 14, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »
So let me get this straight. Apple TV syncs with iTunes in order to provide an nice interface on your TV so you can watch movies and listen to music and have family slide shows.

Huh?

Wouldn't getting the iPod dock with remote accomplish the same thing?

bellenseb

Re: Apple TV - what's the point
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:40 pm »
I think Apple TV will actually provide an interface on the television itself, for what that's worth. But it's not really worth it.

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:27 pm »
Well, Apple TV broadcasts in 720p, while the iPod dock is limited to 480p.  So if your source file is in HD you will see it in HD.  That's one big difference for owners of big screen TVs.

The other difference is that the Apple TV is not just limited to the size of it's drive, but also to the size of your share folders, which presumably are larger than the size of your iPod storage drive.  Presumably your Mac hard drive that contains the shared folders is larger than your iPod and can store your entire music/video/photo collection rather than just a portion of it.  My collection of music/movies/photos is much larger (~1.2TB) than any iPod on the market, so I see the value there.

That being said, I don't think Apple TV justifies the price, especially if you're a gamer.  The PS3 and Xbox 360 do the same thing, at higher quality (1080p) with added features for about the same price or just a fraction more.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
Question for PS3 or XBox owners - Do either of these devices play back apple lossless (no ndr) or FLAC files? 

For those that have used both, which is the better media extender?  I've no interest in gaming or dvd/bluray playback, just streaming media from my NAS.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:00:31 pm »
Question for PS3 or XBox owners - Do either of these devices play back apple lossless (no ndr) or FLAC files? 

For those that have used both, which is the better media extender?  I've no interest in gaming or dvd/bluray playback, just streaming media from my NAS.

Neither will do so natively.  I run tversity as a service on my homeserver to stream FLAC files from my shares to the Xbox 360.  I'm not sure if a NAS can do that, but you can check the tversity site.

While I like the Xbox 360 with Media Center for it's simple interface, I've spent a lot of time making sure all of my files are in the properly supported formats.  If I had to buy an extender now (and wasn't a gamer) it be hard for me not to take a long look at the Popcorn Hour as my next media extender.  It seems to play everything....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:05:05 pm by vansmack »
27>34

thirsty moore

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Vansmack. I've no interest in playing my music over my TV, just watching movies.

chaz

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:01:37 pm »

Neither will do so natively.  I run tversity as a service on my homeserver to stream FLAC files from my shares to the Xbox 360.  I'm not sure if a NAS can do that, but you can check the tversity site.

While I like the Xbox 360 with Media Center for it's simple interface, I've spent a lot of time making sure all of my files are in the properly supported formats.  If I had to buy an extender now (and wasn't a gamer) it be hard for me not to take a long look at the Popcorn Hour as my next media extender.  It seems to play everything....

Thanks Smackie....Popcorn Hour looks sweet....and it's dirt cheap too.  Doing my homework now.....

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:09 pm »
the point is that it is apple.  apple is cool.  you are cool is you use apple.  they are on every television show and movie.  every famous person uses apple and everybody wants to be famous.  and steve jobs is god of everyting.  he gets livers before you do.  so there . . . now you know.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:45 pm »
That being said, I don't think Apple TV justifies the price, especially if you're a gamer.  The PS3 and Xbox 360 do the same thing, at higher quality (1080p) with added features for about the same price or just a fraction more.

Apple TV finally (3 years later) supports 1080p.  That being said, even for my non gaming room I bought a Roku for less that supports 1080p and had it months ago.

But for the Apple faithful, it's a good idea to get an Apple TV now.
27>34

notme

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
the point is that apple needs more $ so they can hire more workers in china for $1.70 a hour and put up nets at all their factories so those workers do not commit suicide.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »
I must have missed that slide in the presentation.  Or maybe it's up next...
27>34

slappy

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:06 pm »
the point is that apple needs more $ so they can hire more workers in china for $1.70 a hour and put up nets at all their factories so those workers do not commit suicide.
Sez the person that posted from a device made in the same factory.

chaz

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »
Sez the person that posted from a device made in the same factory.

Hah.

Foxconn manufacturers like 40% of the world's personal electronics.  So this is quite possibly true.

If you have a wii, playstation, xbox or kindle, it was made there.