Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1291608 times)

dyecraig

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2430 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:16 pm »
still pre-show actually, but i just met wendy melvoin behind the fillmore and she signed my "let's go crazy" 12".
couldn't be sweeter.

hutch

« Reply #2431 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:44 pm »
still pre-show actually, but i just met wendy melvoin behind the fillmore and she signed my "let's go crazy" 12".
couldn't be sweeter.

nice!

K8teebug

« Reply #2432 on: April 28, 2017, 10:37:56 am »
The Decemberists basically just refuse to acknowledge that their first three LPs are better than anything they've put out since.

Ha! I'll let my cousin know :)

dyecraig

« Reply #2433 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:36 am »
the revolution were exceptional.
they opened with computer blue, america, take me with u, and then i was just caught up in the show.
venue is nice enough, but hella crowded, tough to exit early (or if needed), staff pretty meh.
shoulda been at our club, ya know.

Relaxer

« Reply #2434 on: April 29, 2017, 12:19:10 pm »
How badly did I fuck up by being too lazy to go to the Mould show?
oword

« Reply #2435 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:38 pm »
How badly did I fuck up by being too lazy to go to the Mould show?
so, it was good, but lacked a little punch with out the bass and drums
played stuff from his whole career, which was nice

I was kinda beat, as started drinking at 3PM, so when he got on at 10:45 I was felling a little old and tired
no ghrol either...at least not on stage
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #2436 on: April 30, 2017, 07:21:18 pm »
Ok cool, thanks. I would have been so bummed if you'd come back and said it was blinding. I spent a lot of time lamenting not going. I envisioned him with a full band for some reason, so I'm cool with how it happened
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #2437 on: April 30, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
When Mould played solo at the 9:30 Anniversary show, it was one of the more boring points of the night. Along with the Evens. He's so much better as part of a full band imo.

hutch

« Reply #2438 on: April 30, 2017, 09:10:19 pm »
When Mould played solo at the 9:30 Anniversary show, it was one of the more boring points of the night. Along with the Evens. He's so much better as part of a full band imo.

have to agree.. and I think the Black Cat show would have been that except for 90 more minutes...

did he play any songs acoustic? cause a one man solo acoustic guitar show can work..

and the Evens were also awful... if it had not been Ian MacKaye up there they would have been ignored.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2439 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:04 am »
I have enjoyed The Evens the handful of times I've seen them, although I was not at the show in question.
LVMH

« Reply #2440 on: May 01, 2017, 08:57:24 am »
mould did break out some pretty great songs
Hoover Dam, Your Favorite thing, If I can't change your mind- Sugar
I apologize, Chartered Trips, Hardly Getting over it, Flip your wig, Celebrated Summer, In A free Land, Makes no sense at all- Husker Du

I was at that 30th concert at the 930 and remeber the Evens not really being at all listenable
but I really don't recall the Mould set
I did find this article from WeloveDC where the sentiment was he put on the best set of the night?

slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #2441 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:17 am »
I thought Bob did a really nice job Friday night...he used to do solo acoustic shows and it was interesting how the dynamic was different when he'd switch to electric guitar. I think that some of the songs work great in a solo setting. "Hardly Getting Over It", "Lonely Afternoon" and "Sinners and Their Repentances" were pretty awesome. And he did "Love Is All Around" in the encore, which was fun. His political rant was actually pretty entertaining. I have NEVER seen Bob talk that much on stage. He's got as much fire in him as he has ever had. I had a great time and it was awesome to see Bombay and Sidehatch there. Did I miss anyone else?

Saturday I went to Philly to catch the Feelies do a set that they dedicated to the memory of Jonathan Demme and, as always, it was transcendent. The Feelies are my favorite live band. There's really nobody that I enjoy seeing in concert more. The new songs were fantastic, and they didn't do a single cover song until the second encore. I'm very happy I went up for that one...I'm not sure I'll get to see them again this year, but here's hoping.

Bagley

« Reply #2442 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:58 pm »
Awesome Mould show Friday night.  He was fired up.  His rant was right on target. (see below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82MkNXlvQzQ

Anyone know what it said on the shirt that the guy upfront was trying to show Bob during his rant?  Mould
ripped it out of the guy's hands and threw it behind him on the stage.

His frustration energized the set.  The wall of sound was much more than a dude and his electric guitar.  I love his band but this was a very worthwhile experience.  7 Husker Du songs and the MTM theme?  I can't complain whatsoever.

Here's the list:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-mould/2017/black-cat-washington-dc-4be6676a.html

Sorry I you missed you Bearman  (envious of your Feelies' experience in Philly)  Sidehatch and Bombay.  Of course, it's always nice to hang with Challenged.

heff

« Reply #2443 on: May 01, 2017, 02:29:19 pm »
Ditto on Mould. Though in the beginning, I kept waiting for the drums and bass to kick in for "Hoover Dam".  It took a few songs to get used to that.   I don't know what that guy had on his shirt but he and his buddy were in front of me and they were laughing about it most of the evening.

Arto  (Saturday) was good.  Strangely enough, I preferred the one non-samba inflected song - the old skronk .  Not enough guitar from him, though.  He has a very unique style of playing (or some would argue, he's just bashing his guitar).

Shonen Knife (Sunday).  Good vocal crowd for a Sunday evening.  I don't think I've seen a more happier band.  Drummer Risa, bashed the hell out her drums, clearly having a blast.  While most of the songs were Ramones-lite, the set ending droning Sabbath-style "Antonio Baka Guy" replete with head banging and upraised fists was the highlight.

dyecraig

« Reply #2444 on: May 01, 2017, 03:29:10 pm »

Arto  (Saturday) was good.  Strangely enough, I preferred the one non-samba inflected song - the old skronk .  Not enough guitar from him, though.  He has a very unique style of playing (or some would argue, he's just bashing his guitar)

his band was unreal - freakin' melvin gibbs on bass.
i didn't catch the names of the keyboard or drummer, but that was some 'nuther planet playing and musicianship.
i actual went for beauty pill, who did not disappoint.
basla on bass is a treat and chad is hilarious.
so glad he's with us.