Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268847 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2520 on: May 16, 2017, 03:12:17 pm »
Did anyone, by chance, ask Watt what ex-Firehose  dudes George (also Minuteman) and Ed were up to these days and if there was any hope for a reunion?

didn't ask...but there is hope...not sure tho
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-watt-on-the-firehose-reunion-20120130
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #2521 on: May 17, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
Thought that the Pixies show was excellent...David Lovering's drumming is probably better now than it ever has been. Hoping to make it back for tonight.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2522 on: May 17, 2017, 04:10:41 pm »
Couldn't help but think how great the drums were last night as well. Band was so tight. They blasted through their set. Felt like they played 40 songs in an hour and a half. So much fun.
‼‼?‼‼

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2523 on: May 17, 2017, 04:52:25 pm »
Enjoyed Pixies Night 1.
Thought the Baltimore show was better; but cannot explain why.
Anyone notice distractingly-scantily-clad ladies in the lower level stage-side, stage-left box?
The poster for Night 1 was awesome though.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2524 on: May 17, 2017, 05:02:38 pm »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2525 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:32 pm »
Was the new bassist allowed to rock out?  ;D
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #2526 on: May 17, 2017, 06:14:11 pm »
Was the new bassist allowed to rock out?  ;D

I love Kim Deal, but I'm trying to be objective when I say this...I think Paz is a better musician. Kim is unique. She cannot be replaced...but Paz's grooves are pretty freakin' solid. I preferred Kim's vocals more. But I like Paz's playing better. Maybe that sounds odd, but I think it's interesting to see how she has settled into her role very well.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2527 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:54 am »
I ended up going the second night of the Pixies too. Black Francis has a special mic set up to call out what he wants to play...there's no actual setlist, they just go out and play what he feels like, in the order he determines. I must say, it's a breath of fresh air to see a band keep things interesting and varied. There were more new songs last night, but they also did almost all of "Come on Pilgrim", which was great, as well as tunes like "Havalina" and "Velouria". As always, a huge thank you to the 9:30 staff that were there to make it a memorable and fantastic evening. Sometimes it's easy to take for granted that we've got Seth and IMP, but he's got the finest folks working for him. Oh, and for what it's worth, the ending of "Into the White" where they filled the ENTIRE venue with fog so you can't see the band, then they just disappear is pretty freakin' cool. I loved that and it was even better the second night...plus the fire department didn't have to show up because the smoke alarm got tripped.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2528 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:28 am »
I was thinking that they just went up and did the "spur of the moment" sets. I had read the setlist from a couple nights before and saw they switched the songs up, but seeing them live and how they would just rip through songs I figured they might just be calling them up on stage. That's so cool. I love bands that switch it up.

Whores was fucking awesome at Dc9. They are back in July at Ottobar. I highly suggest catching them if anyone has a chance. Heavy as fuck.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #2529 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:34 am »
I'm a huge Kim Deal fan and I just have trouble with the idea of seeing this show but I'm beginning to come around to it and maybe next go around I'll go....... I would still enjoy the show and Paz is great..

I'm trying to think whether I'm being inconsistent.. when I compare it to New Order.. I guess the difference is that Peter Hook just whines nonstop and is a total dick about it whereas Kim is as cool as Kim Deal...

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2530 on: May 18, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
Black Francis has a special mic set up to call out what he wants to play...

That's a "talkback" mic, used by bandleaders for exactly as you describe. Questlove has one on the Tonight Show. Paul Schaffer had one just behind him. You rarely see them use those mics because they usually only use them off camera. When I saw a taping of Letterman, Schaffer used that mic a lot.
😐 🎶

bearman🐻

« Reply #2531 on: May 18, 2017, 12:22:22 pm »
I'm a huge Kim Deal fan and I just have trouble with the idea of seeing this show but I'm beginning to come around to it and maybe next go around I'll go....... I would still enjoy the show and Paz is great..

I'm trying to think whether I'm being inconsistent.. when I compare it to New Order.. I guess the difference is that Peter Hook just whines nonstop and is a total dick about it whereas Kim is as cool as Kim Deal...

I understand Hutch...funny though, I'm about as big a Pixies fan as there is, and I'm still content to see them with Paz. She's really grown on me. I think she must feel more comfortable with her role and she can play the hell out of her bass. I don't know if that has anything to do with Lovering's drumming, but as a rhythm section they can raise hell. I loved watching them. His drumming during "Tame" on night 1 was some of the best I've ever seen him do.

Bagley

« Reply #2532 on: May 18, 2017, 03:09:01 pm »
Pleasantly surprised with the opener for Real Estate Tuesday night-  Frankie Comsos.  She (Greta) reminded me of Waxahatchee but with more energy and zest.  She seemed genuinely honored to be opening for RE.... They're headlining a  sold out  Ottobar tonight.

gavroche

« Reply #2533 on: May 20, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »
Caught the Make-Up on Saturday at the BlackCat.  Ian has never had any vocal range.  It didn't bother me in Nation of Ulysses but has always kind of killed the Make-Up for me musically.  Live though, they are still a blast.  Everything from the polyester gold suites to the crowd banter was a blast.

Pretty sure Azanghal was there and that Ian surprised him a little bit by entering the crowd above him. 

I could use a Nation of Ulysses reunion right about now though.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2534 on: May 22, 2017, 09:36:23 am »
Pleasantly surprised with the opener for Real Estate Tuesday night-  Frankie Comsos.  She (Greta) reminded me of Waxahatchee but with more energy and zest.  She seemed genuinely honored to be opening for RE.... They're headlining a  sold out  Ottobar tonight.

How was the Real Estate show? I caught it in Philly...was slightly underwhelmed. I love their records and I just don't get the same vibe from their music in a live setting. Plus, I'm not sure I loved the song selection. They have so many good tunes they didn't perform.