Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269230 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2790 on: October 23, 2017, 11:58:46 am »
OK, tell me some of her tracks you think illustrate her best work, and I'll listen to them. Deal?

bearman🐻

« Reply #2791 on: October 23, 2017, 01:05:40 pm »
OK, tell me some of her tracks you think illustrate her best work, and I'll listen to them. Deal?

Thanks for keeping an open mind. If it's not your thing, it's not a big deal. But maybe it'll grow on you a little bit. I remember hating the first Prodigy record so much that it almost made me react physically. I hated how it got stuck in my head because it sounded like an ice cream truck on acid. Lo and behold, that's one of my favorite records. Funny how that can happen.

Bethany Cosentino's lyrics are mostly about interpersonal issues. If you're not interested in love songs, songs about heartbreak, identity crises, or feeling out of place in the world, then you're probably not going to get much out of the lyrics. I still think the music is catchy as hell, tuneful, and the little nuances are demonstrative of a band that appreciates classic melody over trendy sound.

1) "Our Deal" off of Crazy For You. To me I hear echoes of classic surf, Connie Francis and Grace Slick. I'm not ashamed to admit that this song makes me tear up when I hear it. It's like her voice just rakes emotion across my heart, and I cannot be unaffected by it. To me that's what good music does, but I appreciate it's entirely subjective. Calling it throwaway trash is a bit dismissive not just to the artist who put their hard work into the world but also to someone who gets something out of it.

2) "So Unaware" off of California Nights. I have a weak spot for this song. Lots of great tunes on this record, but I never tire of this one.

3) "The Only Place" off of the LP of the same name. On the surface, it's just a pop song but what I hear is a genuine love of everything around Bethany...it's a beautiful sunny California day set to music. It makes me happy. The video even elevates the song, which is rare. If this song had been released in the 60's it probably would have been covered by Sonny & Cher and been a massive hit.

4) "Crazy For You" off of CFY. What I hear in Best Coast's music is a group of folks coming together to create music that they enjoy making, and in turn it makes you feel good. It's music that reminds you that it's good to be alive. A buddy of mine recently killed himself, and Best Coast was what pulled me out of a very dark place. The music represents light, something that elevates you when maybe it's just a little too easy to wallow. Sometimes you don't want to overthink a pop song. It's not overly complicated. To some it might be a throwaway, but for me I hear something similar to the Ramones: a hook or melody, briefly executed, deceptively simple but also brilliantly woven together because it seems easier than it really is. When I hear the song "Bratty B" it instantly pulls me out of a crummy mood. It makes me smile. I can't say that happens often enough.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2792 on: October 23, 2017, 03:35:30 pm »
Anyone see the HR documentary last night? Would like to hear about it. Very eager to see it.

dyecraig

« Reply #2793 on: October 23, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »
Anyone see the HR documentary last night? Would like to hear about it. Very eager to see it.
wrong thread, i know, but i posted a short response on page 598 of the roll call thread.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2794 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:41 pm »
Nice review. Wish I had gone.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:27:29 pm by StoneTheCrow »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #2795 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:00 am »
Bethany Cosentino's lyrics are mostly about interpersonal issues. If you're not interested in love songs, songs about heartbreak, identity crises, or feeling out of place in the world, then you're probably not going to get much out of the lyrics. I still think the music is catchy as hell, tuneful, and the little nuances are demonstrative of a band that appreciates classic melody over trendy sound.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will certainly listen to them.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2796 on: October 27, 2017, 11:30:37 am »
The Split Squad show at Hill Country BBQ was outstanding. That is all.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2797 on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:01 am »

They're a lot of fun. I bet that was a great time. Saw them out in Rehoboth Beach once and it was a blast.

« Reply #2798 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »
Friday, Pink Martini, Kennedy Center
Does that mean you have until 8PM to be seated?
It means you have until 8pm on Friday to gets your balls back from your wife and come up with alternate plans.
Its funny you should say that, I had to twist both my wife and daughter's arms to go Though I'm sure they're enjoy it.
So, my wife didn't go, so my balls are still intact   (but I didn't pay and was a +1 to a friend)
They were fun, show started at 7:15. (the Thursday show was 7pm)
They ham it up quite a bit, can't say the NSO really added that much to the performance TBH. 
I hope you an your family are on the floor near the front as they ended up getting about 15 different audience members on stage.  I can totally see Space up there doing the Croatian backing vocals and swinging his hips from left to right (although I suspect you bought the space priced $24 tix  way up in the back on the 3rd tier and not the $90 orch seats)

the addition of Ari Shapiro was odd, but actually worked well
the venn diagram of the audience of NPR and PM are two circles on top of each other

slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2799 on: October 27, 2017, 05:00:59 pm »

They're a lot of fun. I bet that was a great time. Saw them out in Rehoboth Beach once and it was a blast.

They are playing tonight in Rehoboth.

dyecraig

« Reply #2800 on: October 29, 2017, 01:25:51 am »
king crimson was checked off the bucket list tonight.
best lineup ever, musically and visually.
it was so good my face hurts from smiling.
you can catch them again sunday at lisner.
3 drummers are not of this earth.
setlist, gear, humour, mind blowing musicianship, tony levin, loud, easy parking, ringmaster fripp, drummer from mr. mister, follow their instructions and you will be rewarded.
only gripe is the line to the men's room was epic, imagine that.

Space Freely

« Reply #2801 on: October 30, 2017, 08:49:04 am »
Whole family, except for the dog, went to Kennedy Center for Pink Martini Friday night. I had to twist their arms to get them there, but we made it.

My wife, pre-show, had bitched about how the crowd was going to be "all old white people", and I replied by saying that "WE are old white people."

So I was glad to show up and see that my seat was next to a middle aged black couple. Ha! Never mind that my daughter was seated next to an 80 year old white guy.

The show had it's highs and lows and for me was reasonably entertaining, though for my wife it was all lows. "Their music is so sterile. They went to Harvard and seemingly don't have any connection to the music they're playing." Blah Blah Blah. My daughter simply said "I hated it." We've always been pretty attached parents, but I can now see it's time to start leaving the kid home and getting a babysitter.

At one point they asked if there were any Turkish people in the audience, and they invited them to the stage for some dancing as they sang a song (hopefully about what a dick their president is) in Turkish.

Later, in what will go down as one of the most cringeworthy concert moments of my life, the singers asked "Are their any women in the audience?" (this had to be a joke, right?), and before the singer even asked, a handful of middle aged women start scurrying to the stage, hoping to get their audience participation in. So the singer introduced the song...Helen Reddy's "I am woman, hear me roar" At this point, if I were a woman headed to the stage, I would have turned back in embarrassment and headed back to my seat....but alas these troubadours did not feel that way, and joined in a rousing and inspiring version of the song, complete with white middle aged lady line dancing.

Was there a baseball game I missed?

« Reply #2802 on: October 30, 2017, 11:15:59 am »
bitched about how the crowd was going to be "all old white people", and I replied by saying that "WE are old white people."
had the exact same banter on my visit

I thought they were decent, I really felt like the NSO added very little and it would have been more fun and engaging if it was only the 8 or 9 of them on the stage

but that kind of stuff is only appealing to people who like that kind of stuff, my kids and wife would have hated it too

I thought some of the banter was interesting and I think they are incredible musicians/show-people
but it's a little tepid if your typical venue is the 930 club
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:18:53 am by Dotard-hatch 🚀🚀🚀🚀 »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #2803 on: October 30, 2017, 11:21:11 am »
bitched about how the crowd was going to be "all old white people", and I replied by saying that "WE are old white people."
had the exact same banter on my visit

I thought they were decent, I really felt like the NSO added very little and it would have been more fun and engaging if it was only the 8 or 9 of them on the stage

but that kind of stuff is only appealing to people who like that kind of stuff, my kids and wife would have hated it too

I thought some of the banter was interesting and I think they are incredible musicians/show-people
but it's a little tepid if your typical venue is the 930 club

You summary pretty much encompasses all of my own thoughts that I didn't already share.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2804 on: October 30, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
The Craig Finn, John K. Samson show was wonderful.