Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268571 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3045 on: June 10, 2018, 12:50:44 pm »
Looking forward to the upcoming B+S 930 show. . . because that’s the biggest DC venue they can fill now apparently.  :-[

I sprung for a front row super excellent seat in Box 1 of the second floor. The stage and speakers were moved as far out toward the crowd as i've ever seen. Sound was muddled and the view sight was completely from the side (almost behind the band).

And did I somehow miss that this was a GA seated show? Honest question. I arrived to see seats on the first floor which I believe was not disclosed on The Anthem website. Considering it was a 30 buck jump from GA to Super Excellent Seats, IMP owes it to it's patrons to let them know.
I was in box 2 and we commented that the next box over looked like it’d have a terrible view with the speakers moved out.

I assumed the seats on the floor was an attempt to mask the venue being at <25% capacity.
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3046 on: June 10, 2018, 01:29:27 pm »
I guess people don’t need to see them every year...which is why the turnout was bad.
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #3047 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:18 pm »
I guess people don’t need to see them every year...which is why the turnout was bad.

It was probably a bunch of reasons...but honestly, I loved that it wasn't so full. Some friends of mine got in easy, we were in the second row, the sound was great, and the band seemed to have a good time regardless. They've been here a lot the past few years: Echostage, Merriweather, Anthem.

« Reply #3048 on: June 10, 2018, 09:56:14 pm »

It was probably a bunch of reasons...but honestly, I loved that it wasn't so full. Some friends of mine got in easy, we were in the second row, the sound was great, and the band seemed to have a good time regardless. They've been here a lot the past few years: Echostage, Merriweather, Anthem.
Sidehatch and I were discussing there was a lot of fan base overlap with Gomez and Julian casablancas (which apparently didn’t start until after B&S ended, but no one knew that at the time).
LVMH

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3049 on: June 10, 2018, 10:10:24 pm »
Union Stage didn't even let people into the Julian show until maybe 10:40.  There was a show before (David Ramirez).

Which ended up being a relief as I went to B&S and the Voidz.

A sparsely populated Anthem was indeed very relaxing.

hutch

« Reply #3050 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:21 am »
I thought they sounded great....at least from floor...

I just don’t get what happened to these guys....perfect record up to the BWTAS and then.....I keep buying their stuff but nothing grabs me...around Sinister I was like their #1 fan...obsessed

So glad they played Sleep the Clock

If they want to sell tickets all they have to do is play the entire Sinister album but that does not seem like Murdoch’s style...still, I think they have lost a lot of fans with their last many albums

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3051 on: June 11, 2018, 08:14:39 am »
Union Stage has far better sound system than RNR Hotel, though.

Julian Casablancas + the Voidz were fun at Union Stage, too.  A short, loud, riff-heavy, pleasantly bizarre set.  I wish he played a few from his underappreciated 2009 solo album, but I digress.  I was not too impressed by Union Stage's line/id/ticket entry process, and it is a rather charmless crypt of a place in the basement.  I prefer Rock & Roll Hotel.
(_|_)

heff

« Reply #3052 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:32 am »
Union Stage has far better sound system than RNR Hotel, though.

Julian Casablancas + the Voidz were fun at Union Stage, too.  A short, loud, riff-heavy, pleasantly bizarre set.  I wish he played a few from his underappreciated 2009 solo album, but I digress.  I was not too impressed by Union Stage's line/id/ticket entry process, and it is a rather charmless crypt of a place in the basement.  I prefer Rock & Roll Hotel.

I saw Hot Snakes at Union Stage last night.  I do see the appeal of the old 930 club vibe at RnR, where one can get up real close but like the old club if you aren't near the front of the Hotel stage, it's not the greatest view or soundwise.  I didn't go to the sold out Snakes show at the Hotel last fall but last night's show at Union Stage was pretty crowded and the sound and sightlines were pretty good.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3053 on: June 11, 2018, 11:34:33 am »

I just don’t get what happened to these guys....perfect record up to the BWTAS and then.....I keep buying their stuff but nothing grabs me...around Sinister I was like their #1 fan...obsessed

If they want to sell tickets all they have to do is play the entire Sinister album but that does not seem like Murdoch’s style...still, I think they have lost a lot of fans with their last many albums

I requested Sleep the Clock Around and Stuart heard me...he seemed to be into it. So you're welcome ;) I actually like some of the songs on the last 3 EPs. It takes a little time to absorb them, but there are some good tunes on them. Way better than the Girls in Peacetime LP, which I hate.

« Reply #3054 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:47 am »
Way better than the Girls in Peacetime LP, which I hate.
That LP is an abomination.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #3055 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:32 pm »

I requested Sleep the Clock Around and Stuart heard me...he seemed to be into it. So you're welcome ;) I actually like some of the songs on the last 3 EPs. It takes a little time to absorb them, but there are some good tunes on them. Way better than the Girls in Peacetime LP, which I hate.

Thanks Bearman!!!

bearman🐻

« Reply #3056 on: June 11, 2018, 01:08:06 pm »
Way better than the Girls in Peacetime LP, which I hate.
That LP is an abomination.

It's horrible...which is why the 3 EPs by comparison are way better. Maybe not awesome...but at least I enjoy some of the songs on them.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3057 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:29 pm »

"I just wish Pearl Jam would play Ten songs over, and over, and over, and over.........."

Sincerely,
Asshats

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #3058 on: June 11, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »
I thought the B&S show was great. Their recent setlists have been good, I admire how they try to play at least one song from every album and give the old college try to playing deep cuts, unlike many bands who don't want to put in the work. Stuart is always hilarious and engaging. Stevie Jackson is incredibly underrated.

I guess I don't get all the whining and complaining about B&S. What do you want out of them? If your answer is playing Sinister front to back, save it.

Girls in Peacetime was a not very good album but Write About Love may be their most underappreciated album. I Didn't See it Coming, I Want the World to Stop, Write About Love and Sunday's Pretty Icons are all B&S Hall of Fame songs.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3059 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:47 pm »

Thanks Bearman!!!

Guess I'm in the minority of people that don't completely hate Girls in Peacetime. Nobody's Empire, Cat with the Cream, Perfect Couples.. it has some good tunes!

And I must also thank you, Bearman. I have seen half a dozen or so of their shows and that was the first time I got to hear Sleep the Clock live, my favorite B&S track.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:45:16 pm by Schulzenstein »