Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268152 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3135 on: July 20, 2018, 08:32:05 am »
thinking about going to Ft Reno tomorrow...anyone heard of any of these?
Thursday, July 19 NIGHT OF 1000 CAKES:    Baby Alcatraz / Matt Borlik / Jerry Busher / Kathy Cashel / John Davis/ DC Public Library/ Jason Hutto / Vin Novara /  Katy Otto / Chris Richards / Taffety Punk Theatre Company / Betsy Wright
Betsy Wright of Ex Hex and Bat Fangs. Few people are more rock'n'roll than she is.
Borlik, Davis, and Richards are all from Q and not U.
Jerry Busher was the second percussionist for Fugazi.  He was also in French Toast.
Was a beautiful evening out at Ft. Reno for this show and ended up with hanging with Boardie Challenged

Betsy wright was just her and a guitar, very mellow, but that was fun (the whole bat fangs band was in attendance)
the interpretive dance, Jason Hutto keyboard playing and the 9 minute snare drum solo set (Vin Novara) were really not
Also was annoying for a band to take 20 mins to set up...to only play one song then have to wait 20 mins for the next band

I wasn't surprised to see Ian and his signature Pork Pie Hat in attendance... to only be surprised when he took the stage and treated the crowd to an unannounced Evens set with his wife Amy
John Davis and Chris Richards (not a Pain Branch Reunion they said) were really solid, John D did two songs solo first and Chris joined him for the last song of the night on vocals/floor tam (and a bandanna over his head?)

Such a great venue and mission
Amazing that DC has been putting on free concerts there for 50 years!
There was lots of "I remember being in the crowd 25 years ago and then on the stage with my other band in xx"
and of course some free cake :)

Looking forward to seeing Flasher there on the 2nd

Also pro tip...don't ride your bike unless your ready for some serious hills...4.5 mile ride 560ft vertical climb!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:36:21 am by Sidehatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3136 on: July 20, 2018, 08:46:16 pm »
I hear Jiffy Lube Live is a bit of a ghost town for Arcade Fire, and they closed the lawn entirely and upgraded everyone with a lawn ticket to a seated area.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3137 on: July 22, 2018, 10:49:00 pm »
I hear Jiffy Lube Live is a bit of a ghost town for Arcade Fire, and they closed the lawn entirely and upgraded everyone with a lawn ticket to a seated area.

I was there and that's exactly what happened. Me and a friend bought tickets for 7 bucks a piece on stubhub and got upgraded basically to the front VIP section at no extra cost. Great for me but I can't imagine how demoralizing that must be for the band. A friend of mine was there this evening for Weezer & The Pixies and said the place was mostly full, even with the storms.

Yada

« Reply #3138 on: July 23, 2018, 12:41:27 am »
Arcade Fire needs to set up shop where they belong... in a 1,000 person club.

Their last two shows in DC have been freebies for any one that wanted to go last minute.

hutch

« Reply #3139 on: July 23, 2018, 07:34:49 am »
Loved the Pixies so much...wish I was seeing them again tonight! It definitely felt bizzare seeing them at Nissan, with a crowd that seemed to largely have little idea who they are, and without Kim Deal but I loved it. Joey Santiago sounded great!

Thank you Sidehatch for the VIP hookup. Made the experience a breeze. Now come pick up your car!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3140 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:03 am »
Julian's America lifted its nearly decade-long embargo against Nissan and rolled out to Weezer/Pixies last night after finding two pit tickets on craigslist for $30 each. Paired with $20 access to the Dominion Lounge (seriously, how sleazy is it having multiple "bars" at a venue that are pay to enter), it was a pretty enjoyable evening. Pixies ripped through a set that was fantastic although seeing Paz do Kim's songs seemed a little weird. No Nimrod's Son or Velouria, but they were worth the ticket price alone.

Weezer, even if you hate their music, is an extremely fun set always and I thought their multiple stage dressings were cool. They certainly stick to the hits and even as a casual Weezer fan, I think I knew all but three songs. I looked at the setlists ahead of time and skipped the encore and was out of the parking lot in less than three minutes. Home in Richmond by 12:30.

The nickle and diming and drink prices are still beyond the pale but all and all, I did not hate being at Nissan Pavilion. I cannot believe I'm saying that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:39:03 am by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #3141 on: July 23, 2018, 10:00:36 am »
Julian's America lifted its nearly decade-long embargo against Nissan and rolled out to Weezer/Pixies last night after finding two pit tickets on craigslist for $30 each. Paired with $20 access to the Dominion Lounge (seriously, how sleazy is it having multiple "bars" at a venue that are pay to enter), it was a pretty enjoyable evening. Pixies ripped through a set that was fantastic although seeing Paz do Kim's songs seemed a little weird. No Nimrod's Son or Velouria, but they were worth the ticket price alone.

Weezer, even if you hate their music, is an extremely fun set always and I thought their multiple stage dressings were cool. They certainly stick to the hits and even as a casual Weezer fan, I think I knew all but three songs. I looked at the setlists ahead of time and skipped the encore and was out of the parking lot in less than three minutes. Home in Richmond by 12:30.

The nickle and diming and drink prices are still beyond the pale but all and all, I did not hate being at Nissan Pavilion. I cannot believe I'm saying that.

One of the better reviews I've seen because I can actually hear that it was an awesome time. So, so happy that the Pixies were great. I wanted to go to this but the weather and distance were a bit prohibitive. That being said, I'm glad that it was a good show.

Yada

« Reply #3142 on: July 25, 2018, 10:26:57 pm »
The Gorge is hands down the most amazing outdoor music venue in the nation... maybe world? Unbelievable could be the proper description, it even made Red Rocks seem just ok.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3143 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:34 am »
The sound at Sixth & I wasn't the best last night IMO but I thought Fantastic Negrito played a good show regardless, I'm glad he played "Dark Windows" which apparently he doesn't do too often.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3144 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:28 am »
for Bagley:

high school friend Chris used to be in a band. he is friends with Gordon Gano.

Gordon invited him to sing a couple of songs with the femmes. friend posted on facebook that he was gonna be on stage with the femmes...i, of course, publicly on facebook asked for me plus 10, while privately telling him that i'll be there at the show, guest list or not. he texts me that he has me on the femmes guest list. i go to the show with a college friend (the owner of my dedicated free Anthem parking spot, another story).

we went to the box office to get my ticket and pass, and for my friend to purchase a ticket to the show, and an anthem stapher turned in an "extra" ticket. i said, "i would like an extra ticket," and she gave it to me, and i gave to my friend.

Chris texts me to videorecord the 3 songs he is singing on. i enjoy the femmes set and record the songs. Chris is funny and dances and sings and is happy as a clam in shit to be there.

after the femmes set we all meet up and go outside on the balcony so Chris can smoke. We are out there awhile, and end up missing the bunnies open with lipslikesugar, but we see the rest of the set which seems a little stiff (last night of 16 or so on this tour) but iconic and nostalgic and professional and transported us to the 1980s, while random people who recognize Chris take selfies with him and i take photos of "fans" and Chris.

After the bunnies, I put on my femmes after-show party wristband, and wait for around 10 minutes which Chris goes backstage. I am the only person in the venue with this wristband it seems. There is no party?

Chris comes down to get me and we literally wander the backstage hallways of the Anthem undisturbed until we find the bunnies dressing room and we hang with the band, mostly Will (original bunny guitarist) who is lovely and friendly and who Chris knows from the old days.

I gloriously plug my phone in, which was down to 9%. we all chat for awhile. bunnies guitar player asks us if any of us want this bottle of wine, and sure, I'll take a chateauneuf-du-pop for the road...phone got to around 30%.

Then we go to see Ian "Mac" in his dressing room and I get to meet Ian, handshake, "big fan" etc., and Chris and Ian sing vaudevillian python-esque pun-filled dirty songs, and re-live some epic shit that went down with them in Liverpool a million years ago . . . while the oxygen tank next to Ian's sofa tells us that we are all old as fuck, but still trying.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:02:33 am by challenged »

hutch

« Reply #3145 on: July 26, 2018, 09:48:11 am »
Geez how sweet is that?!? Nicely played....

The Cutter (particularly the swelling finale) was transcendent...one of the more moving pieces of music I have heard...

Bagley

« Reply #3146 on: July 26, 2018, 12:55:58 pm »
Woah, Challenged that's some enchanted evening!   And a free item of concert memorabilia to add to your already vast collection, no less.  Oh, the stories you will tell.   You must be somewhere floating in the clouds....

Space Freely

« Reply #3147 on: July 26, 2018, 01:12:19 pm »
I'm just wondering what an oxygen tank is? Isn't that what cilmbers use when they're above 26,000 feet?

Bagley

« Reply #3148 on: July 26, 2018, 01:25:12 pm »
I'm just wondering what an oxygen tank is? Isn't that what cilmbers use when they're above 26,000 feet?

Folks with pulmonary issues carry them around

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3149 on: July 26, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »

Folks with pulmonary issues carry them around

Also people who are nearly 60 who sing for 2 hours several nights a week.
😐 🎶