Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1289701 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3150 on: July 26, 2018, 02:07:11 pm »
I'm just wondering what an oxygen tank is? Isn't that what cilmbers use when they're above 26,000 feet?

Folks with pulmonary issues carry them around

Also people who are nearly 60 who sing for 2 hours several nights a week.

I didn't realize singing was such an exhausting activity. Does Willie use one?

« Reply #3151 on: July 26, 2018, 02:11:16 pm »
VF/EatB

Fun show, VF's didn't sound that great until the second half for some reason
They did do a good job at making the songs that nobody knows fun
Ritchie left the bass to rock the  a xylophone for Gone Daddy Gone and at one point he even whipped out a conch shell.

I held her in my arms->American Music->Add it up was just a great way to end the set and sounded awesome
Challenged's friend was pretty funny up there
he kept doing spins that were comical (this gif is not him)

Echo had a great set list and and Will's guitar was just amazing
I thought Ian's voice was at sometimes great and sometime just lost in the din
He talked a ton between songs, but no one could understand him.  I think at one point I thought he said "Am I speaking French up here" when the audience didn't react to what he was saying
The have soo many good songs... but I kind wish we got people are strange instead of roadhouse blues (if they were going to do a doors cover they are known for)
Ending of the set was great with Killing moon (again Will's guitar sound was soo good) in to the Cutter

I didn't really love the Ocean Rain encore...personally Do It Clean would have been my pick

capacity was perfect IMO...place was filled, but lots of room to move around or jockey for a good spot on the floor
slack

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #3152 on: July 26, 2018, 02:13:20 pm »
that gif, is from the set of rupauls, drag race. 

gurl.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3153 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:08 pm »
Clarification:

When I said that "we all meet up," that was me and my college friend Bryan, and Chris and his friend Tom. I met absolutely zero violent femmes dudes. Gordon left straight after the femmes' set, and Chris is friends with Gordon, and Brian kind of keeps separate  house.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3154 on: July 26, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »
I'm just wondering what an oxygen tank is? Isn't that what cilmbers use when they're above 26,000 feet?

Folks with pulmonary issues carry them around

Also people who are nearly 60 who sing for 2 hours several nights a week.

I didn't realize singing was such an exhausting activity. Does Willie use one?

Give it a try: sing or talk at 75-90dB for at least 45 minutes per hour for two hours.

Willie probably does. And it's not like they have to huff on it all the time offstage, just a few minutes to revive for post-party/loadout.
😐 🎶

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3155 on: July 26, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »
Also, by request, for Bagley:

I enjoyed the jason isbell, HGM show at Wolf Tarp.
Hiss was fine, especially Phil Cook on guitar.  Set suffered from the largeness of the space, and the dampness messing with their guitars.
jason isbell and the 400 unit have great songs, a lot of energy, earnestness, and the benefit of jason's booming voice and lyrical terrifficness. "Ohio" was a well-done and well-received cover.
Bagley was a decent show-companion, bought me pizza and a beer, made good conversation, caught me up on the family, etc.
 Unfortunately, he failed to introduce me to Ian McCulloch at this show; so the show, and the show companion, kind of pale in comparison to last night's show.  Try harder.  8)

ALSO - WolfTrap does stress me out. I want to stand up, show my appreciation, get into the show more. But, I feel that I will be provoking a riot.   ALSO 2:  the lower orchestra rows having no middle aisle; jeesh.

Okay, off to Nats Park.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3156 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:37 pm »
ALSO 2:  the lower orchestra rows having no middle aisle; jeesh
This always weirds me out. I never thought I'd have the concern "but what if there's a fire" at an open-air venue, but this is where I am as a person.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3157 on: July 26, 2018, 04:46:34 pm »
ALSO 2:  the lower orchestra rows having no middle aisle; jeesh
This always weirds me out. I never thought I'd have the concern "but what if there's a fire" at an open-air venue, but this is where I am as a person.

Especially a place with a history of actually burning down.
😐 🎶

Bagley

« Reply #3158 on: July 26, 2018, 04:48:22 pm »
Also, by request, for Bagley:

Ha! Not that you usually need much provocation.

My two cents:   HGM is one of those acts whose studio recordings do not do him justice. Live, however, he and his band deliver!

analogfossa

« Reply #3159 on: July 27, 2018, 10:19:13 am »
Radiohead's show in Pittsburgh was great. Surprising to hear they haven't played there since '97. Good 25 songs and nice to hear Spectre live.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3160 on: July 27, 2018, 12:46:42 pm »
Radiohead's show in Pittsburgh was great. Surprising to hear they haven't played there since '97. Good 25 songs and nice to hear Spectre live.

Setlist looks very even. At least a couple tracks from every album (apart from Pablo Honey). Absolutely love how they're starting to include Wolf At The Door again. Hoping for it at my Philly show next week.

hutch

« Reply #3161 on: July 27, 2018, 03:17:12 pm »
Sylvan Esso was pretty great last night...first time I ever heard of them and I was impressed

IMHO the dance/dj shows at Anthem have been the pick of the litter personal preferences notwithstanding

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3162 on: July 29, 2018, 10:06:53 am »
Eagles/JT recap.

I won these tickets from WRNR.

Was happy to see James Taylor; had never - and was the soundtrack of my my elementary school days. Enjoyable but s l o w paced set. wanted to hear Jellyman Kelly, did not happen.

When the Eagles came out and played a few songs, and then said: "we are gonna play for 2 1/2 hours" I thought it was threatening and abusive, but they do have a lot of hit songs it turns out, and everyone knows every word. We left at "Already Gone," which was song 17 of 25.  Had wanted to make it to the Joe Walsh stuff, but: Just. Could. Not.  Most importantly, had the Shroom Burger at Shake Shack and a Black&White shake, and fries. first time for me. Very tasty.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3163 on: July 29, 2018, 10:30:44 am »
and finally.

The Hold Steady in Philadelphia at Union Transfer was a great show.

Worriers opened, and were a tight punk rock machine.

The Hold Steady came out to the PA playing Lido Shuffle, and got us ready for the sing-along that some boardies hate, but I love. Would've loved to go to Asbury Park to see the show the next day with Japandroids opening, but 6 shows in 10 days, and 10 shows in July was enough.
Union Transfer seemed like a good venue, but honestly, I did not wander around it. Just got to the rail, and stayed, and left right after. Was the Girlfriend's first time seeing the band, and first time seeing her 50something boyfriend yelling along to every word some 40something bank-teller looking dude is shout-singing from the stage. She has not panicked and left me, yet.

Also, Philadelphia bro-dudes yelling out "Eagles" between songs and during quiet parts of songs. Really unnecessary, but totally "on brand."

Most importantly, had happy hour at McCormick & Schmicks before the show. Decent Margaritas, and the fried calimari is terrific. Must've stolen the batter recipe from Popeye's.

Space Freely

« Reply #3164 on: July 29, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »
Speaking of Eagles, i saw several ugly people wearing their concert shirts the other day. Some 70 yr old guy on the train was telling somebody that "James Taylor is warming them up."