Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1293063 times)

gavroche

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3210 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:25 pm »
Had a free ticket for fishbone, but bailed on the show.   #oldage

My too.  Couldn't fight through the jetlag and the messed up redline.

« Reply #3211 on: August 24, 2018, 12:33:48 pm »
some serious bonin' in the boneyard last night
these guys sure know how to entertain
Great set list and audience. 
Thought the sound was pretty lousy, though.
yes...I meant to mention that, but I agree the sound could have been waay better

Also on that note...why was the drummer facing the back of the stage...is that for the vocalist who get overpowered by the drums?

....and the messed up redline.
I know, WTF had no idea it was just going to end a galudet
They did have the bus shuttle, but that seemed like it would have taken another hour
had to pay for an Lyft, which was kinda expensive from there
kinda feel like my trip from UDC to Galudet should have been at a discounted too ...but alas there is probably a metro bitch thread
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:37:23 pm by SEA-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

heff

« Reply #3212 on: August 24, 2018, 12:50:18 pm »

Also on that note...why was the drummer facing the back of the stage...is that for the vocalist who get overpowered by the drums?

I saw them in `88 and Fish (the drummer) was set up like that.  I think it has something to do with him being able to play with no distractions.  At least last night he talked to the crowd, he used to never interact with the audience.   The Oxymorrons were pretty intense as well.  The sound was really bad, couldn't hear the sax or Kibby's trumpet and when Dowd sang, his mike was so long it was hard to hear him over the music.  Though the sound did get better for the encore.  I was glad to see the (almost) original lineup again and nothing but stuff from the beginning to "The Reality of My Surroundings" (one exception being "Alcoholic").

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #3213 on: August 27, 2018, 09:24:09 am »
Caught Mac DeMarco in LA last week. I've seen some insane shows in my day but that one may take the cake. He certainly lives up to his reputation.

Beach House was great as always. Sound could have been a little better but the set list was solid.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3214 on: August 29, 2018, 09:59:51 am »
Mac DeMarco sucks
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3215 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:10 am »
How were New Order?  sound?
(_|_)

« Reply #3216 on: August 29, 2018, 10:45:46 am »
they were great...long awaited and I feel they delivered
so glad they played the anthem, would have sucked at a big outdoor venue IMO

I didn't wear my ear plugs and was center stage about 1/2 way back and I thought the sound mix (and lights) were tight
Bernard's voice isn't the greatest to begin with, so vocals were kinda weak

Personally I really missed Hooky and his killer bass riffs that all those JD and early NO songs just ride on
There was a guy playing the notes, but they didn't have that bite and forward placement that for me was the core to that sound

the Low Life songs (Love Vigilantes!) were really the highlight and of course Temptation
thank god they didn't play World in Motion

They really mixed it up on Perfect Kiss and nailed it and turned it in to a rave up (crowd was so-so on a lot of the songs...may have been my placement)
They closed with Blue Monday into a killer Temptation and came on for a Joy Division encore  Atmosphere->She's Lost Control->LWTUA

I do think they went a little overboard with the Ian images.  I think it was merited...for a song.  But again, I kept thinking of the other founding member who was in some of those photos.  Blue Monday and Atmosphere sounded great, but I didn't think SLC and LWTUA were their best performances of the night (again no hooky and how they heck can you have LWTUA without that killer bass...and he even does a better job doing IC vocals too)

This does come off like a negative review, it really was a great show...I'm just particular when it comes to this band (and their bassist)

Edit...for got the Us :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:05:06 pm by SEA-hatch ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3218 on: August 29, 2018, 01:18:51 pm »
Could that really have been the first New Order show in Washington DC since 1986???!?

Bernard introduced “Regret” talking about how long it had been and I don’t think he was talking about how long it had been since they played Columbia, MD which to a person from outside the US would never be considered DC even if it is in the same region

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3219 on: September 07, 2018, 09:31:22 am »
The Jesus Lizard show last night...holy fucking shit...26 songs 3 encores, fucking relentless. 

and while it was technically "sold out" I'd be curious as to how many tickets ended up not being used (as of yesterday afternoon there were 60 $6 tickets alone on stubhub in addition to all of the ones selling for more and the Facebook event page had plenty of ticket sale posts) as it was full but not nuts to butts uncomfortably full like most sold out Black Cat shows are, made for a far more enjoyable viewing experience.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:38:30 am by TheREALHunter »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3220 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
First Thursday was hot and buggy, so we only saw Mikaela Davis and Wild Child and a moment of Jackie Greene. Enjoyable, all.

Then, EZTV at Ottobar, who I really liked. Slightly low energy for me, but made up for with catchy guitar and harmonies and a fun Pretenders cover.

Ex Hex was usual goodness. Sprinkled in a few new songs off of the upcoming new record. Joe was kind enough to swipe me a poster off the wall. Met Haggis, as well.

Lindsay/Snailmail was in attendance, and looks exhausted from her worldwide touring/global domination.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3221 on: September 07, 2018, 01:11:05 pm »
The Jesus Lizard show last night...holy fucking shit...26 songs 3 encores, fucking relentless. 

and while it was technically "sold out" I'd be curious as to how many tickets ended up not being used (as of yesterday afternoon there were 60 $6 tickets alone on stubhub in addition to all of the ones selling for more and the Facebook event page had plenty of ticket sale posts) as it was full but not nuts to butts uncomfortably full like most sold out Black Cat shows are, made for a far more enjoyable viewing experience.

Loved loved LOVED this show. Probably my favorite that I've seen. And I saw them at the old club in December 1993. That was great, but this was just unreal. Agreed. Relentless. Shattering. Pummeling. I'd say that they are one of the most underrated bands ever. David Yow is like the bastard lovechild of Mark E. Smith, Iggy Pop, and Jim Morrison when he was drunk off his ass. And I mean that in a very positive way. And so great to finally meet you K8teebug!

K8teebug

« Reply #3222 on: September 10, 2018, 09:17:50 am »
Great to meet you as well! Agreed. Was a fabulous show. Really needed that rock and roll in my face.

Space Freely

« Reply #3223 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:08 am »

Loved loved LOVED this show. Probably my favorite that I've seen. And I saw them at the old club in December 1993. That was great, but this was just unreal. Agreed. Relentless. Shattering. Pummeling. I'd say that they are one of the most underrated bands ever. David Yow is like the bastard lovechild of Mark E. Smith, Iggy Pop, and Jim Morrison when he was drunk off his ass. And I mean that in a very positive way. And so great to finally meet you K8teebug!

This is not a band that I'd ever want to sit around the house listening to (and I'd probably have dozens of obscenities directed my way if I did), but your review definitely made we want to see them live sometime. Thanks!

Space Freely

« Reply #3224 on: September 10, 2018, 10:47:37 am »
I hit the Stone Throw down in RVA on Saturday. Despite the 90% prediction of rain, it didn't happen.

I arrived a bit late, so missed almost all of the Futurebirds. I heard the last song as I was approaching the venue, but they were off the stage by the time I reached the stage. I liked what I heard, I'll probably check them out at RNR in November.

Next up was Anitibalas. Before that came on, Stone Founder Greg Koch preached to his "Brothers and Sisters in Craft Beer", and then introduced the mayor, who introduced Antibalas by proclaiming, "Ladies and Gentleman, a very popular band, Antibalas." So good of him to give them such a ringing endorsement. Are they even very popular? Anyway, they were very good, first time seeing them and I enjoyed them. They left us with a message to practice "deep unconditional love."

Next up was No BS Brass Band. Upstart locals. Lots of horns like Antibalas, but a different sound. I didn't really care for them, and it made it worse that they had to follow Antibalas.

Finally DBT played. Not my favorite set ever by them, but they were solid as always. Patterson borrowed a line from Patti Smith, telling us the "Love each other, Motherfuckers." and also urged up to "Vote these assholes out of office."

I have to say, there were a lot of unloveable motherfuckers in the crowd. Does everyone in RVA smoke cigarettes? (A thousand people smoking tobacco and not one smell of weed.) Also, drunk, blobby out of shape 20somethings walking up and standing/dancing a foot from your face, even though it wasn't crowded. People swigging their $5 beers from a plastic cup, then throwing the cup on the ground when a recycling bin is 20 feet away. Sorry motherfucker, you don't get my deep unconditional love.