Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268565 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 02:47:54 pm »
And for the record, Kurt Vile is pretty middle of the road musically. I bet he'd be right up the alley of plenty 40something white dudes, if they gave him a listen.

Shit, I guess I have to go buy some music

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 10:03:29 am »
Really enjoyed the Bad Religion show on the Mall. The rain held off through most of their performance too. I was surprised at how good they sounded (at least where I was standing).

serpent boy

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
I very much enjoyed The Black Keys and Arctic Monkeys on Friday night in Norfolk. (I live down here now, so I saw this show instead of the D.C. performance.)

Arctic Monkeys were a lot more energetic than I expected. Alex Turner had some charisma that I always heard was lacking in their performances. Stuff like "Pretty Visitors" came across really well live.

The Black Keys definitely can own an arena, no doubt about it. I just wish they'd mix up their setlists a bit or throw in a few more old tracks like "Stack Shot Billy."

Yada

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »
I very much enjoyed The Black Keys and Arctic Monkeys on Friday night in Norfolk. (I live down here now, so I saw this show instead of the D.C. performance.)

Arctic Monkeys were a lot more energetic than I expected. Alex Turner had some charisma that I always heard was lacking in their performances. Stuff like "Pretty Visitors" came across really well live.

The Black Keys definitely can own an arena, no doubt about it. I just wish they'd mix up their setlists a bit or throw in a few more old tracks like "Stack Shot Billy."

I guess it's par for the course for bands to play their recent albums especially in support of a tour, but I agree.. the older stuff in their catalog rips. I'm sure we can expect a Keys tour years down the line where they play all of "Thickfreakness" "Rubber Factory" etc in their entirety.

K8teebug

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:51 am »
Cloud Nothings were terrific on Saturday night.  Been quite some time since I've been so impressed by a band.  Great seeing them in such a small space!  Did anyone go to the ottobar last night?

I forgot how terrible the sound in the Verizon Center is.  Bruce was good, but the sound is just heinous in there.  Springsteen fans are adorable.  I'm not a big fan, and won tickets from the radio, but I'm glad I got to go.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:35 am »
Caught the Ottobar show last night.  Arrived late and missed out on most of the first band's set.  Mellotron or something?  Liked what I heard.

Cloud Nothings tore thru their set as usual but Dylan's amp went out late in the set (mid-song) so the rest of the band jammed for what seemed like 10 minutes while he tried to fix things.  He may have been frustrated but I really enjoyed it.

The crowd was surprisingly tame but I blame that on being a Sunday.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:52 am »
Song is called "Wasted Days". The amp went out third to last song and bassist had tantrum...in return the crowd did not ask for an encore.

I'm a fan of the music, the Weird Al-like vocals-not so much.

A Classic Education (the other opener) were great...but very short set :(

Cloud Nothings tore thru their set as usual but Dylan's amp went out late in the set (mid-song) so the rest of the band jammed for what seemed like 10 minutes while he tried to fix things. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:33:20 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
Sorry to hear about their amp problems last night.  Was it crowded?  I was surprised to hear that they were shocked at the sell out in DC.

sonickteam

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:51 am »
Sorry to hear about their amp problems last night.  Was it crowded?  I was surprised to hear that they were shocked at the sell out in DC.

I was there last night too.  Ottobar maybe half full? (i was at the very front so was hard for me to tell). 

I thought they were great.  Wasted Days was my favourite.    I also thought once or twice that they would lose nothing by becoming an instrumental only band. 

crowd was tame, and all left the second it was over, i agree cause of the sunday thing.

the lead guitarist was very nice after the show too. :)

K8teebug

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:38 am »
They were one of the nicest bands I ever met.  I hope they made it to Koco's pub for crabcakes :)

K8teebug

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 11:34:28 am »
oops...they're closed sunday and monday!  oh well. 

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:43 am »
Song is called "Wasted Days". The amp went out third to last song and bassist had tantrum...in return the crowd did not ask for an encore.

The drummer started taking his cymbals apart the second they finished their last song.  At that point I knew an encore wasn't happening so I went back and grabbed some vinyl.

Their other guitarist had problems after Wasted Days and I think at that point they'd just had it.  Shame, too, because they were all clearly in great moods at the onset.

I guess it was the bassist's turn to man their merch table - he was nice as hell.  I wanted to give the guitarist grief for stirring up trouble at the Mind Spiders show at SXSW but I just grabbed my stuff and went home.

K8teebug

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »
They were all out after the Red Palace show.  Played all of Attack on Memory and three of their old songs for an encore.  Wasted Days just killed.  Killed!  Crowd was pretty into the show too. 

Plus, the loud muffins shirt is funny and cute.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 05:54:31 pm »
Mellotron or something?  Liked what I heard.

Was it Dead Mellotron? He's a cool Shoegaze guy from Kentucky. Have been playing his music on Air Atlantic Underground Radio for a few years now.

I still want to hear (read) about both Alcest shows and A Place To Bury Strangers, even though I know it will drive me crazy.

killsaly

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »
It was Dead Mellotron.  I see him listed as repping Baltimore now.  As for Alcest; dark, smoky, fuzzy, hard, pretty, melodic, great. I have a few pics I was going to put up later as well.