Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268292 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
quality = quantity

a show where five people come  = shitty crowd

a sold out show where five thousand people come = good crowd

a show where five people show and are awesome as five people = still, a shitty crowd

Oh, Hell no!!!

I'll take a small room with only 30 people and a great band any day. I hate crowds and find a packed room only annoys and interferes with my enjoyment of the show. Sure, not a money maker; but, as a fan, I'm only there for the show. Regarding the 9:30, I tend to prefer the room about 3/4s full with, of course, a great band. Not Seth's favorite, but he has to look at the bottom line.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 10:24:50 am »
go to baltimore shows all the time.  lacks the "ummpth" of dc.  they are in the shadow of the district . . . and they know it.  and their harbor stinks.

and i'll take a room full of people yelling and screaming and being . . . humans having fun, instead of a sad sea of empty floor full of "diehards".

party on.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 10:31:32 am »
Quantity doesnt equal quality.  A sold out dc show with a crowd that wont shut up at a show like Real Estate would be 100 times worse than a half full non talking (at least during sets) baltimore crowd.  Crowd quality depends most on WHO is there, not how many people.  Though dc can have good crowds, just depends on show/venue, same as Baltimore.  DC crowds can either be people truly into music who want to support bands and listen to great music, OR (big ass or) people who just wanted to have a place to go so they can talk about their lives in public.  Baltimore ones seem to me to be way more about the music. Baltimore shows are usually IMHO better than DC ones and 99 percent of the time, if I can choose between the cities to see a band, Baltimore wins. Good thing I live between the two, so i can make that choice.  Walk, have you ever/do you ever, go to Baltimore shows?

All of this. I've experienced both good and bad crowds in both areas. A lot of it depends on the specific fans that either that band or venue tends to draw in.

Probably the most respectful audience I've ever witnessed was for Hammock, Stars Of The Lid & Christopher Willet which was at Iota. Basically, you could call that a DC crowd. You could have heard a pin drop at any point of that show. It was like God hand picked each person because they knew how to behave during a performance.

Both crowds at the Lyric in Baltimore for Pink Floyd way back in the early '70s were very well behaved but I suspect it helped that they were stoned and seated. This was just before all of the Bic flicking 'Rock 'n Roll!' burnout type ever heard of them and those type were always annoying wherever they were.

Yada

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 10:37:00 am »
I saw Real Estate at the Black Cat in January and it was awesome... not sold out... and they even came on stage late due to the Giants game.

A tad short, but I love that band.

K8teebug

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 10:43:37 am »
DC crowds suck... everyone knows it: the crowd and the bands.

Doesn't mean you don't get the very occasional good DC crowd.

Baltimore is just nicer than DC.  More people dance.  People don't have the attitude.  Having gone to probably an equal number of Baltimore and DC shows, I'll take Baltimore most days.

B'more girl here. Born and raised :)

Yada

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 11:22:20 am »
DC crowds suck... everyone knows it: the crowd and the bands.

Doesn't mean you don't get the very occasional good DC crowd.

Baltimore is just nicer than DC.  More people dance.  People don't have the attitude.  Having gone to probably an equal number of Baltimore and DC shows, I'll take Baltimore most days.

B'more girl here. Born and raised :)

Bawlmore'd

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:24 am »
Given the choice between a show at, say, the Ottobar vs the same show at a comparable venue in DC (RnR?) I'll choose the Bmore show every time.  And I live closer to DC.

930 >>>>> RHL live, tho.  Not even close.

hutch

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »
Ottobar is great!

The thing about Baltimore you just don't get the attitude you get in DC....everything costs less... people are less pretentious.. whats not to like?

azaghal1981

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 02:48:46 pm »
I was at that SoTL/Christopher Willits/Hammock gig!

Great crowd, yes but I still say Iota was the wrong place.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »
Probably the most respectful audience I've ever witnessed was for Hammock, Stars Of The Lid & Christopher Willet which was at Iota.

the crowd at the Godspeed! show at the club last year was down-right reverent.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 03:29:56 pm »
Bright Eyes on tour for Four Winds at the 930 Club was probably the most quiet I had ever seen a DC crowd. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 04:06:43 pm »
^Except for one girl who between songs kept saying "Make me cry!" The first couple times were funny but it quickly got annoying.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:21 pm »
^ I knew you were once a Bright Eyes fan you little bitch
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »
^ I knew you were once a Bright Eyes fan you little bitch

lolz.

azaghal1981