Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268359 times)

azaghal1981

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2012, 06:57:27 am »
Did anyone else make it to Artisphere last night? The Frankie Rose set was amazing, beautiful, entrancing. I was unsure how well the new material would sound live since on record, it sounds very studio-ish if that makes sense but she and her band pulled it off perfectly. Shame there were not more people there to witness it. Stevie Jackson played a very good set of solo and B&S stuff mostly acoustic and by himself but had Honey Bunch join him on the last four songs of his set. Honey Bunch were pretty good but got swallowed up by the boomy sound of that room. Dot Dash were alright but not all that worth writing home about. The Pines (Pam Berry and an English dude named Joe whose last name on which I am blanking) played a pretty set of acoustic ballads to start the night.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:41 am »
I ended up being a little disappointed in Budos Band / Charles Bradley show....

Not the biggest fan of the Soul Screamer type of singer, so it was just an solid bordering on average set. Bradley's had a crack band behind him and the moves (lots of pelvis trusting/arms in the air like an eagle/James brown splits), the set was poorly paced with a mid set outfit change ruined the momentum.

Not quite sure what was up with the Budos Band as they were either totally in their groove or dull.  I thought would be more of a hard hitting and fiery then they were.   Maybe it was because it was first night of the tour, or the new material they were road testing, or a poor sound mix.  But at times they were just sloppy and the opening was particularly tedious.  But once that groove kicked in they were on fire for several songs.  They are probably great to see as a opener with a tight 45 minute set.  As a co-headliner they seem to want to drag things out.. They also need a Hammond B3 stat :)
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »
That sucks.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2012, 02:15:00 pm »
it is making the normal rounds in the media . . . but most are saying it really hurts the town's image, which is sad.  i like some things about the town and have friends that live there that love it.  there are some incredible restaurants in all parts of town, and i have awesome memories of shows and clubs.  i just think the town way pales in comparison to the district in entertainment.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:18:23 pm by walkonby »

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2012, 05:07:24 pm »
Baltimore is just nicer than DC....People don't have the attitude.

I like Bmore, but that's a joke, right?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2012, 05:09:07 pm »
Did anyone else make it to Artisphere last night? The Frankie Rose set was amazing, beautiful, entrancing. I was unsure how well the new material would sound live since on record, it sounds very studio-ish if that makes sense but she and her band pulled it off perfectly. Shame there were not more people there to witness it. Stevie Jackson played a very good set of solo and B&S stuff mostly acoustic and by himself but had Honey Bunch join him on the last four songs of his set. Honey Bunch were pretty good but got swallowed up by the boomy sound of that room. Dot Dash were alright but not all that worth writing home about. The Pines (Pam Berry and an English dude named Joe whose last name on which I am blanking) played a pretty set of acoustic ballads to start the night.

I would have gone to this if it wasn't the same night as Plants and Animals. What B&S songs did Stevie play?

azaghal1981

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 01:07:41 am »
"Step Into My Office," "The Wrong Girl," "To Be Myself Completely" and "Chickfactor" for sure. There might have been one or two more that I am blanking on. He did a few solo tracks and I think there was a cover or two I could not place in there somewhere.

احمد

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 04:40:09 pm »
"Step Into My Office," "The Wrong Girl," "To Be Myself Completely" and "Chickfactor" for sure. There might have been one or two more that I am blanking on. He did a few solo tracks and I think there was a cover or two I could not place in there somewhere.

OMG but no Seymour Stein?

hutch

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »
ughh.. he really did write all the worst Belle and Sebastian songs...

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »

Are you fucking kidding? Seymour Stein is one of their BEST. I'm Not Living in the Real World is damn good too.

hutch

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »

Are you fucking kidding? Seymour Stein is one of their BEST. I'm Not Living in the Real World is damn good too.

no i am not FUCKING kidding.. stuart murdoch is the genius.. the rest are nothing special.. as murdoch let the others contribute more the band began to suck.

azaghal1981

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 06:54:29 am »
No Seymour Stein.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:18 am »
Black Tambourine sounded great with the exception of a few rough moments. Lorelei get better with age. Lilys would have been way better with a full band. Similar to the acoustic set he opened for MBV with in Richmond. Fan Modine were alright but suffered from the same bad acoustics issue as Honey Bunch did the prior night. LD was a last minute surprise guest. He and some of the members of other bands playing that night did some Crash and JAMC covers as well as another cover I am forgetting.

Screaming Females were amazing. Would not be surprised to see them headlining the club in a year or two. IMO, they were more memorable than the Dead Weather and Arctic Monkeys when they opened for them at the Club in 2009 and have only improved since.

Van Dyke Parks at Millennium Stage was a good time. His playing is as on point as ever and his voice is holding up well. Good amount of smart and funny banter throughout the show.

Magnetic Fields: see MF thread.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:27 pm »
IMO, they were more memorable than the Dead Weather and Arctic Monkeys when they opened for them at the Club in 2009 and have only improved since.

ha ha.. the opinion of someone who hates Jack White...