Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269225 times)

atomicfront

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »
Went to MMJ/Band of horses show last night at MPP.  I would say Band of Horses was stellar as usual.  Great songs, great live band.  Cool that he brought his daughters on stage.

This is the third time I saw MMJ.  The first time they did an hour set at Lolla with an ochestra and they were actually pretty good.  I saw them a couple of years ago at MPP and they were sort of boring.  Today I was pretty close and they were incredible boring.  I only lasted an hour.  Geez just play the songs.  Does every song have to have five minutes of needless guitar solos. 

I award MMJ the most boring live band award. Sort of the opposite of Polyphonic Spree who are just Ok on record but amazing live.  MMJ's album "Z" is top notch and the last album wasn't that bad. But boy they are boring live.  Also, I found the crowd to be very unattractive.   Least attractive fan base as well.  I liked the pinball machines at MPP when was that added?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »
I enjoy Band of Horses, but to say that MMJ live Is boring compared to BOH leads me to believe that you must  be from another planet, just completely delusional or just 'avin a laff.

Went to MMJ/Band of horses show last night at MPP.  I would say Band of Horses was stellar as usual.  Great songs, great live band.  Cool that he brought his daughters on stage.

This is the third time I saw MMJ.  The first time they did an hour set at Lolla with an ochestra and they were actually pretty good.  I saw them a couple of years ago at MPP and they were sort of boring.  Today I was pretty close and they were incredible boring.  I only lasted an hour.  Geez just play the songs.  Does every song have to have five minutes of needless guitar solos. 

I award MMJ the most boring live band award. Sort of the opposite of Polyphonic Spree who are just Ok on record but amazing live.  MMJ's album "Z" is top notch and the last album wasn't that bad. But boy they are boring live.  Also, I found the crowd to be very unattractive.   Least attractive fan base as well.  I liked the pinball machines at MPP when was that added?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:18:30 pm by jeffml »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2012, 03:43:25 pm »
i find the pinball machines at a venue where you pay money to see a concert . . . a sad testament to said concert.

James Ford

« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »
BOH were arguably more concise and to the point with their songs. If you're more into four minute pop songs and not at all open to extended jammy versions of songs, I can see how MMJ live wouldn't be your thing.

I enjoy Band of Horses, but to say that MMJ live Is boring compared to BOH leads me to believe that you must  be from another planet, just completely delusional or just 'avin a laff.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
Agree...but it was his 3rd MMJ show, so he should've known what to expect. 

BOH were arguably more concise and to the point with their songs. If you're more into four minute pop songs and not at all open to extended jammy versions of songs, I can see how MMJ live wouldn't be your thing.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:42:57 am by jeffml »

reggie

« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2012, 09:42:49 am »
i missed the MMJ show, but they played "Cobra" live, which is a pretty special thing...i've seen them 8 times and never witnessed that song live. 

reggie

« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43:34 am »
also, "One Big Holiday" and "Steam Engine" and "Run Thru" live are the opposite of boring

Yada

« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:09 am »
Did Jim James douche around and wear a cape?

Those guys have been boring since post Z.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
Speaking of boring, I was at the Dirty Projectors show Saturday night.  What they do is intersting, but I found myself pretty damn bored after a handful of songs.  Left 1/2 hour into their set.

Wye Oak, on the other hand, were stellar as always and worth the price of admission all by themselves.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »
Other than the unremarkable cover of The Clash and jammy guitar solos during the first 45 minutes, I loved the show. Cobra into RUN THRU (full song, not just the end of it like in the past) was so great and so was "O is the One That is Real". There were probably at least 5 songs I've never heard live before.

James Ford had a bathroom break during "Holding On To Black Metal"...guess he didn't care for that song.
(_|_)

wml7

« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2012, 03:00:07 pm »
Old man bladder
 ;D

Yada

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:31 pm »
Yup... douched it up with a cape.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »
Technically not a cape.   I believe it had sleeves.

James Ford

« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2012, 02:37:08 pm »
Three cheers for Bob Mould and his band. He makes me afraid not to turn 50.

Sir HC

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:09 pm »
Three cheers for Bob Mould and his band. He makes me afraid not to turn 50.

Great show!  I think he is now 51!  His voice was pretty rough after the show though.  Hasn't been singing and touring that much.