Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268861 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #210 on: September 10, 2012, 05:14:33 pm »
Hutch, I want to see these videos you took. Don't worry, I can fill in the loss of proper audio with my mind.

By the time I found out that I could easily work the show around my work schedule, it had already sold out. Just my luck!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #211 on: September 10, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »
the video i shot is distorted but my camera's mic aint the cats miau:)

weird thing is at the time, at the show, standing really close to the stage thought it sounded great but looking at the video i can recognize it was distorted

your two statements don't make sense to me: 1) your vids sound distorted because your camera's mic is crap, but 2) listening to the badly recorded videos you conclude that the show sounded distorted, even though at the time your ears told you otherwise.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »
I'm going to disagree with you on that, Hutch. I believe JAMC's obit is, in fact, that they released one classic album and then some other records.

I bought the import You Trip Me Up ep in 1985 and then Psychocandy lp the week it was released in the US, so not everyone who disagrees with you is a dingbat new fan.

Newbie.  I got Psycocandy when it was released in the UK.  Which I believe was a month before it was relased in the US.

bearman🐻

« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »
Funny, I think that the feedback ruins the songs on Psychocandy. I find it unlistenable, despite a plethora of great songs. Darklands is my favorite LP of theirs. Followed by Honey's Dead. That was the first tour I saw them on. I missed the show last night because I wasn't feeling well, but I'm hopefully catching them Sunday in Chicago at Riotfest. I'll be curious how they manage in the daylight hours.

Samantha

« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »
Are they as loud as my bloody valentine?
 ;D

NO.

Samantha

« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »
I never saw them during their initial run, so I was pretty psyched on the show: great setlist I thought, crowd that was into it and some serious noise.  But then again, that's what I was hoping to get...I left with no complaints.

And how odd is it, after years of wasting my life posting on this board, that during the show I thought "huh, I wonder if Samantha is here".

Aww I'm memorable!  And I agree with you 100%, which is nice to hear after the complaints. 

hutch

« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2012, 08:00:07 pm »
the video i shot is distorted but my camera's mic aint the cats miau:)

weird thing is at the time, at the show, standing really close to the stage thought it sounded great but looking at the video i can recognize it was distorted

your two statements don't make sense to me: 1) your vids sound distorted because your camera's mic is crap, but 2) listening to the badly recorded videos you conclude that the show sounded distorted, even though at the time your ears told you otherwise.
yeah it was late when i typed

i agree.. it makes no sense.
 i may upload one just to demonstrate how the vocals at least were super clear.. not sure why lagas wrote he couldn't hear them...i'm guessing in different places it is different.

Samantha

« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2012, 08:01:12 pm »
My further 2 cents before I disappear again (obviously I'm procrastinating IRL)

I don't know how you could like Psychocandy and nothing else, and I say that even though Psychocandy is definitely my favorite album.  Something's wrong with you, I'm sure.  Love the noise, hell yeah.

I've been the fan the longest because I'm sure that despite the fact that I wasn't even conceived yet, I was a fan of theirs in the ethereal sea in which our spirits wander before birth.  I WIN.

You people just plain crazy, that's all.

azaghal1981

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2012, 07:32:38 am »
My biggest regret is not realizing that Samantha would be at the show and not sending her a text to try and catch up beforehand. Anyone who knows her knows how much of a bummer this is.  It has been way too long! Pretty sure the last time I saw you was Grinderman?

That said, I also enjoyed the show and knew exactly what to expect because I looked at setlist.fm earlier on. Other than a few obvious flubs, I thought everything was played very well and was totally recognizable/audible. So yeah, thoroughly enjoyable show. I also got a chance to catch them at Coachella in 07 so maybe I was more aware as to what to expect than those who were underwhelmed. Except for Joe but that is because he is an ass. Oh and the Psychic Paramount set was epic.

Might as well talk about the rest of my packed weekend here. Mission of Burma get better with age. There is no other way to put it.The old stuff sounded incredible and the new material sounded perfectly in place next to it. Such an amazing band. What more can be said?

Bob Mould band set was phenomenal but that crowd was the worst in recent memory. It was a sea of idiots who had no idea as to how to conduct themselves at a rock concert. I much preferred the 2009 gig but through no fault of the band itself.

Manateees at Comet on Friday was a good time but I have a soft spot for psychedelic garage pop. First time catching Fordists in over 1.5 years so they were a nice treat. Everything I had to say about Sunn is in the RC thread.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:00:32 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

hutch

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:35 am »
damn, Samantha must be a looker!... I'm starting to regret not meeting her myself...

:D

hutch

« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
"Head On" was the worst song feedback wise.. I think William moved back after this..actually started moving back during the song...

but I think this video- I didn't take it- pretty much shows how it sounded..vocals were very clear..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQomCtrTyZI

Samantha

« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2012, 08:11:18 pm »
"Head On" was the worst song feedback wise.. I think William moved back after this..actually started moving back during the song...

but I think this video- I didn't take it- pretty much shows how it sounded..vocals were very clear..

SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS CRISP-SOUNDING.  Compare those vocals to J&MC on an album.  J&MC vocals are by definition difficult to understand.  It's the peer pressure of today's jangly pop, I tell you.  Also, I might be visible in that video, next to the really tall kid in the white shirt on the far right against the stage.  (Maybe not--anyways it adds to my mystique I guess.)

damn, Samantha must be a looker!... I'm starting to regret not meeting her myself...

I have big boobs.  I'm not bragging, it's just a fact.

My biggest regret is not realizing that Samantha would be at the show and not sending her a text to try and catch up beforehand. Anyone who knows her knows how much of a bummer this is.  It has been way too long! Pretty sure the last time I saw you was Grinderman?

I do believe Grinderman was the last time I was at 9:30.  The shows I've been to have been few and far between...how long ago was that?  I truly thought to text you too, but for some reason I wasn't sure that you'd be there?  Also I think I was kind of trying to be stealth because I wanted to get up front (which I did) and leave immediately afterward (which I did not really because I was in line for merch forever).  It wasn't until the merch line that I started chatting with people I knew...I'm quite the social phantom these days, it seems.

I'm glad you mentioned Psychic Paramount, I forgot to mention OMG THEY WERE AMAZING.  I'm still stunned that an opening band without vocals could be so brilliant.  I'm not gonna lie I scoffed when they walked on without mics...ho ho, thought I, who do these hooligans think they are, scoff scoff.  Oh, but I did regret my hasty pessimism.  I also enjoyed the Vandelles, they were fun...so liking the opening bands definitely made the night even more wonderful.

atomicfront

« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:51 pm »

This is the second song they played.  As I said the first four songs were OK and then it got bad and then worse.  To the encores where I could barely hear the vocals at all.  Even in that song they sound pretty bad though.  I guess it was worse than I remembered. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2012, 01:30:22 am »
Are people really bitching about feedback at a Jesus and Mary Chain show? I always thought feedback was just something that you got with them.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:17 am »

SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS CRISP-SOUNDING.  Compare those vocals to J&MC on an album.  J&MC vocals are by definition difficult to understand.  It's the peer pressure of today's jangly pop, I tell you.  Also, I might be visible in that video, next to the really tall kid in the white shirt on the far right against the stage.  (Maybe not--anyways it adds to my mystique I guess.)

I have big boobs.  I'm not bragging, it's just a fact.

I do believe Grinderman was the last time I was at 9:30.  The shows I've been to have been few and far between...how long ago was that?  I truly thought to text you too, but for some reason I wasn't sure that you'd be there?  Also I think I was kind of trying to be stealth because I wanted to get up front (which I did) and leave immediately afterward (which I did not really because I was in line for merch forever).  It wasn't until the merch line that I started chatting with people I knew...I'm quite the social phantom these days, it seems.

I'm glad you mentioned Psychic Paramount, I forgot to mention OMG THEY WERE AMAZING.  I'm still stunned that an opening band without vocals could be so brilliant.  I'm not gonna lie I scoffed when they walked on without mics...ho ho, thought I, who do these hooligans think they are, scoff scoff.  Oh, but I did regret my hasty pessimism.  I also enjoyed the Vandelles, they were fun...so liking the opening bands definitely made the night even more wonderful.
It was almost two years back. Time is speeding by at a scary ass pace. I got there after The Vandelles had started and did not hang out too long on the floor after the JAMC finished. I quickly slipped out and down to the backbar. Explains why we completely missed each other. Too bad. And yeah I made sure I was there and in position in time for Psychic Paramount. Fantastic, terribly overlooked band. Glad you dug them.
Come to the Dirty Three show. The Warren Ellis connection to Nick Cave should be reason enough. ;D
احمد