Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268659 times)

atomic

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #405 on: September 24, 2013, 01:11:08 pm »
That is a good review.  I don't Dan Deacon's recorded work but his live shows are fun.  Future Islands are always amazing live.  "Nuclear Power Pants" is a fun band as well. I am sorry that one of their members is sick.

killsaly

« Reply #406 on: September 24, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »
Thanks!

I fixed the name, I wrote this really quickly during my lunch break.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:15:56 pm by killsaly »

Yada

« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2013, 10:20:19 am »
I know it's not too cool to like singer song writers on this here board... but if anyone can name a  better American singer song writer than Josh Ritter, please let me know. What a joy it is to see him perform.  I saw him at a 200 person theatre in Gettysburg this weekend and was completely blown away.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2013, 11:02:03 am »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #409 on: September 30, 2013, 12:11:21 pm »
Robbie Fulks>Josh Ritter
Jason Isbell>Josh Ritter

Yada

« Reply #410 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »
Robbie Fulks>Josh Ritte: Will investigate, never heard of him.
Jason Isbell>Josh Ritter: LOL

Yada

« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?

Didn't catch his set.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2013, 12:59:45 pm »
I know it's not too cool to like singer song writers on this here board... but if anyone can name a  better American singer song writer than Josh Ritter, please let me know.
Singer-songwriter is such a weird term. Like, isn't Billy Corgan technically a singer-songwriter? He sings and writes the songs. Can't we come up with a more specific term for "someone who plays acoustic guitar, generally unaccompanied"?
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #413 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?

Amidon reminded me of a contemporary Steve Martin.  A bit quirky with a dry sense of humor.  Talented musician-played  guitar, fiddle, banjo....  Told the audience that he recently discovered a band called the Grateful Dead and that he was amazed by the fact that all that do is jam.   He won me over at that point.  He covered a traditional folk/blues tune Cold Rain and Snow that was a staple in the Dead's repertoire for years.

atomic

« Reply #414 on: September 30, 2013, 02:17:53 pm »
I know it's not too cool to like singer song writers on this here board... but if anyone can name a  better American singer song writer than Josh Ritter, please let me know.
Singer-songwriter is such a weird term. Like, isn't Billy Corgan technically a singer-songwriter? He sings and writes the songs. Can't we come up with a more specific term for "someone who plays acoustic guitar, generally unaccompanied"?

I like singer-songwriter.  When I hear singer-songwriter it makes me know to stop paying attention to the discussion.  

Yada

« Reply #415 on: September 30, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?

Amidon reminded me of a contemporary Steve Martin.  A bit quirky with a dry sense of humor.  Talented musician-played  guitar, fiddle, banjo....  Told the audience that he recently discovered a band called the Grateful Dead and that he was amazed by the fact that all that do is jam.   He won me over at that point.  He covered a traditional folk/blues tune Cold Rain and Snow that was a staple in the Dead's repertoire for years.

were you at the Gettysburg show? What a treat!

Yada

« Reply #416 on: September 30, 2013, 02:35:13 pm »

I like singer-songwriter.  When I hear singer-songwriter it makes me know to stop paying attention to the discussion.  

Thank you for your participation in this thread, nozzle.

Bagley

« Reply #417 on: September 30, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

Agree that we need some clarification here.  Folk singer/songwriters under the age of 40 perhaps? Otherwise I'd have to say no one comes close to Costello or Dylan.  
I was very impressed with Ritter's showmanship and stage presence, his endearingly warm smile draws you right in.   Yes, I do think he's a tremendous songwriter for his age.  His song structures are complex, he has quite a vocabulary, weaves good stories and virtually no piece is linear.

His two backup musicians were very talented as well.
Yada,  what was that metal box that his guitar player used on a couple songs?

Yada

« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

Agree that we need some clarification here.  Folk singer/songwriters under the age of 40 perhaps? Otherwise I'd have to say no one comes close to Costello or Dylan.  
I was very impressed with Ritter's showmanship and stage presence, his endearingly warm smile draws you right in.   Yes, I do think he's a tremendous songwriter for his age.  His song structures are complex, he has quite a vocabulary, weaves good stories and virtually no piece is linear.

Unfortunately, other than a layman's description of some sort of effects box, I have no clue?

Is that the first time you've seen him? I'm approaching seeing him 10 times or so since 05' and that was definitely one of my favorite evenings. The mustache'd man is a fixture in his back up band.

atomic

« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »

Is Elvis Costello considered a singer-songwriter?  I thought he was part of a band.  Saw him at Newport Folk Festival a couple of years ago and though his show was supposed to be acoustic he played with electric guitars and had a band.  He was pretty bad.  I never cared for him so maybe I am not the best judge but my wife thought he was pretty bad as well.