Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269217 times)

James Ford

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2013, 03:11:20 pm »
If Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello are the best "singer-songwriters", I guess the meaning of singer-songwriter is someone who is a good songwriter whose singing sucks.

Bagley

« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:08 pm »
I know it's not too cool to like singer song writers on this here board... but if anyone can name a  better American singer song writer than Josh Ritter, please let me know.
Singer-songwriter is such a weird term. Like, isn't Billy Corgan technically a singer-songwriter? He sings and writes the songs. Can't we come up with a more specific term for "someone who plays acoustic guitar, generally unaccompanied"?

Agree that we need some clarification here.  Folk singer/songwriters under the age of 40 perhaps? Otherwise I'd have to say no one comes close to Costello or Dylan.  
I was very impressed with Ritter's showmanship and stage presence, his endearingly warm smile draws you right in.   Yes, I do think he's a tremendous songwriter for his age.  His song structures are complex, he has quite a vocabulary, weaves good stories and virtually no piece is linear.

His two backup musicians were very talented as well.
Yada,  what was that metal box that his guitar player used on a couple songs?

Unfortunately, other than a layman's description of some sort of effects box, I have no clue?

Is that the first time you've seen him? I'm approaching seeing him 10 times or so since 05' and that was definitely one of my favorite evenings. The mustache'd man is a fixture in his back up band.

Yep first time, well worth the ride from dc metro area.  Glad I caught a good one!

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?

Amidon reminded me of a contemporary Steve Martin.  A bit quirky with a dry sense of humor.  Talented musician-played  guitar, fiddle, banjo....  Told the audience that he recently discovered a band called the Grateful Dead and that he was amazed by the fact that all that do is jam.   He won me over at that point.  He covered a traditional folk/blues tune Cold Rain and Snow that was a staple in the Dead's repertoire for years.

were you at the Gettysburg show? What a treat!

I was at the Gettyburg show.  I think seated venues might be better for someone like Ritter, especially in acoustic form.  Really good performance, although Zach Hickman might have stolen the show with 'Mennonite Prom.'

I wish he would vary his setlist a little more - it was pretty close what he played at Bucknell the night before - but since it was the trio's third show ever, I guess it's understandable.

Ritter must be a good songwriter, because every time I hear 'Another New World' I feel sad for that ship captain and his boat for the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:48:06 pm by Nigel Tufnel »

Yada

« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »
^ Bill Callahan?

How was Sam Amidon?

Amidon reminded me of a contemporary Steve Martin.  A bit quirky with a dry sense of humor.  Talented musician-played  guitar, fiddle, banjo....  Told the audience that he recently discovered a band called the Grateful Dead and that he was amazed by the fact that all that do is jam.   He won me over at that point.  He covered a traditional folk/blues tune Cold Rain and Snow that was a staple in the Dead's repertoire for years.

were you at the Gettysburg show? What a treat!

I was at the Gettyburg show.  I think seated venues might be better for someone like Ritter, especially in acoustic form.  Really good performance, although Zach Hickman might have stolen the show with 'Mennonite Prom.'

I wish he would vary his setlist a little more - it was pretty close what he played at Bucknell the night before - but since it was the trio's third show ever, I guess it's understandable.

Ritter must be a good songwriter, because every time I hear 'Another New World' I feel sad for that ship captain and his boat for the next couple of days.

Absolutely... I've seen him at the Birchmere before and the club multiple times, but for an acoustic evening you couldn't have asked for a more intimate venue.

Regarding the setlist, I'm not surprised... I'm assuming they learned X amount of songs for this tour and will slowly add in other tunes as they get comfortable in that setting. I loved some of the alternate arrangements as well as a lot of the tunes off of Historical Conquests... (which as whole was always my least favorite Ritter album).

Sean Hayes tonight at Iota.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2013, 06:35:51 pm »
"Singer-songwriter" came up at a time when most solo pop and rock singers performed works of other writers. Record stores had "vocal" sections, often segregated by gender. Rock authenticity changed to mandate that singers sang their own songs to differentiate themselves from pop singers.
😐 🎶

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »
when i think of singer songwriters, i think of losers like james taylor and carole king and sheryl crowe.  god . . . barf me out.

Yada

« Reply #426 on: October 01, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
when i think of singer songwriters, i think of losers like james taylor and carole king and sheryl crowe.  god . . . barf me out.

like I said... singer songwriters aren't too cool around these parts.

James Ford

« Reply #427 on: October 01, 2013, 09:21:14 am »
you're not thinking very hard.

That's kind of like saying when I think if rock bands, I think of Journey and REO Speedwagon.

hutch

« Reply #428 on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:09 am »
Always amazes me to hear people saying Bob Dylan or Tom Waits can't sing..

I say these people can't understand what singing means..

Singing is not about having an American Idol voice... its just about communicating through song..

These same people would probably say Billie Holiday couldn't sing or something...well plenty of people know that Billie, even in her later years, could "sing"..some, Miles Davis for example, would say her singing only got better as her voice declined..

You have to separate "singing" from "the voice".. now anybody can say they don't like Bob Dylan's "voice", but to say he can't sing?

There are plenty of examples of great singing from Dylan even in these twilight years and with that gargle voice he's got..... Nettie Moore from Modern Times for example is, yes, great singing.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #429 on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:40 am »
I.e. Elliott Smith
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #430 on: October 01, 2013, 09:22:50 am »
Bob Dylan and Tom Waits are two of my FAVORITES.  I'm actually listening to Dylan right now.

hutch

« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:11 am »
Craig Robinson emceed/guested/sang with the Funky Meters last night at the Hamilton... guests dropping by seems to happen more at the Hamilton

As far as the show, I really enjoyed it.... it was a strange show.. I had no idea going in, although I knew he'd had some health issues and was up there (turning 76 in a few weeks), that Art "Poppa Funk" Neville had suffered some strokes.... it almost seemed like this show was an attempt to get Art back out there and playing cause you know when you have strokes you either get out there and recover what you were doing or you're toast... anyways, it was pretty visible that Art was still suffering from the stroke's damage...at the same time it was very uplifting to see the way George Porter Jr. and the rest of the band was rallying around him trying to give him the confidence and encouragement to perform.....

some might call it rather macabre.... personally I thought it was all pretty heroic and special.. I had an Uncle who had a few strokes and eventually it killed him.. and after the second one he sort of lost the will.....

They played a lot from Rejuvenation which is my favorite record of theirs and I got Art to sign it and complete it (I'd gotten the other three at the Metermen show at the Howard)...

I understand Russel Baptiste and Brian Stoltz are supposed to be the greatest of musicians but for whatever reason I really missed Zig and Leo... but the show was really about Art and it was pretty touching seeing how George, who is of course from a younger generation and could almost be Art's son, was trying to draw Art out...

I wonder if Art played on what seemed like a Hammond organ because its easier for him now?

atomic

« Reply #432 on: October 01, 2013, 10:10:52 am »
Always amazes me to hear people saying Bob Dylan or Tom Waits can't sing..

I say these people can't understand what singing means..

Singing is not about having an American Idol voice... its just about communicating through song..

These same people would probably say Billie Holiday couldn't sing or something...well plenty of people know that Billie, even in her later years, could "sing"..some, Miles Davis for example, would say her singing only got better as her voice declined..

You have to separate "singing" from "the voice".. now anybody can say they don't like Bob Dylan's "voice", but to say he can't sing?

There are plenty of examples of great singing from Dylan even in these twilight years and with that gargle voice he's got..... Nettie Moore from Modern Times for example is, yes, great singing.

Sorry I like people who can sing.  Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed should not be singing.  There are millions of people who can sing in the world.  No need to have people who can't sing sing.   Geez I wish Nico sang all the songs for Velvet Underground. 

Vocal Range and the ability to hit notes.  Would you prefer if Ringo sang all the songs for the Beatles? I mean he definitely has a better voice than Bob Dylan but he is still very limited in range.   F*ck Bob Dylan I would rather listen to Adele any day.

atomic

« Reply #433 on: October 01, 2013, 10:12:07 am »

like I said... singer songwriters aren't too cool around these parts.

What?  Carole King's "Tapestry" is one of the best albums of all time. 

atomic

« Reply #434 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:23 am »
"Singer-songwriter" came up at a time when most solo pop and rock singers performed works of other writers. Record stores had "vocal" sections, often segregated by gender. Rock authenticity changed to mandate that singers sang their own songs to differentiate themselves from pop singers.

Yeah I guess we are past that now.  I mean are we going to say Elvis wasn't authentic?