Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268552 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #465 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:12 pm »
Baltimore show was excellent.

Bags

« Reply #466 on: November 06, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »
Colin Meloy put on another solid solo show.  First time for me at Lincoln Theater which was
a nice venue with great acoustics (though it was solo acoustic show).
I agree that Colin put on a good show, and I also was fine with the theater.  My first time for a music show as well.  It's sort of nice to have a seated venue for this sort of show (besides the godawful Birchmere).  I had a ticket to Neko Case last week but had to miss the show. 

I could see either Colin or The Decemberists several times a year and be just fine with that.  Yes, that's as random a thought as it appears.

« Reply #467 on: November 10, 2013, 08:36:29 pm »
John Fogerty was really amazing.  He is really on his game. Vocals and guitar were tight.
So many hits ...it's mind blogging how many

On of my favorite moments had nothing to do with his set, but while waiting in line the dude behind me said "Man I saw Led Zepllin back in 1977, but damn I was so wasted I can only remember two songs they played"

Also nice new feature at DAR...you can bring drinks into the performance hall!
had about 5 overpriced drinks, but had them on the floor enjoying the show
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2013, 08:44:59 pm »
John Fogerty was really amazing.  He is really on his game. Vocals and guitar were tight.

On of my favorite moments had nothing to do with his set, but while waiting in line the dude behind me said "Man I saw Led Zepllin back in 1977, but damn I was so wasted I can only remember two songs they played"

Also nice new feature at DAR...you can bring drinks into the performance hall!
had about 5 overpriced drinks, but had them on the floor enjoying the show

I loved the songs; could have done without the Vegas-style production. I give it an 8.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:45 pm »
Weds I went to see Lady at the Howard which was the perfect way to clear away the bad vibes of the day.  Lady is now primarily Nicole Wray as the other singer Terri Walker has left the group.  Nicole was the primary lead singer on the record with Terri contributing mainly the harmonies.  They have a backup singer to the group who handles the harmonies nicely, but some of the lines Terri would have sang solo seem a bit awkward.  Anyways, the Nicole, who has worked with Missy Elliot and Black Keys, is now clearly the star of the group as evident by the one new song the band played.

Have to say the Howard is really nice theater with great sound and sight lines.  Sure hope they have resolved their service, food issues, etc.  As their are some scathing online reviews of the place.  At least I wasn't hustled for drinks while I was there.

On Thursday the double header at the club made me realize just how many "hits"  Toad the Wet Sprocket as they played a career spanning set including several from the new album, which I've been enjoying of late.  The No BS! Brass band were a lot of fun and I will definitely be checking out more of J. Roddy Walston and the Business as this my first exposure to them.
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:58 am »
That sounds like a good run of shows for the weekend!

« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

I loved the songs; could have done without the Vegas-style production. I give it an 8.

well I agree it was a little flashy
but 29 song set and a little over 2 hours, definitely feel I got my money's worth
8 is accurate (if it had been at 930...that certainly would have been a 10...but now I'm dreaming)

Really don't do any classic rock any more, but JF was always on the list of acts I wanted to see
and am glad I did
slack

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:23 am »
so that high on fire show was something else

all three bands killed it and i dont think id ever seen a dc crowd that energetic. the HoF pit started the second pike played his first riff.

so much fun.

still hoping to eventually cross sleep off my bucket list but in the meantime this was a kickass alternative

Unsanity

« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2013, 04:27:52 am »

all three bands killed it and i dont think id ever seen a dc crowd that energetic. the HoF pit started the second pike played his first riff.

so much fun.

still hoping to eventually cross sleep off my bucket list but in the meantime this was a kickass alternative

Nice to hear DC crowds being energetic. I saw Kvelertak at RNR back in spring and the crowd got crazy. But yeah you never know when it will be just a buncha folks standing completely still looking at their iphones. How hot did it get in RNR hotel for this one? I'm betting pits of hell hot!

James Ford

« Reply #474 on: November 13, 2013, 10:00:17 am »
Excellent double bill at DC9 last night of Canadian artists (Sweetcell where were you?). Hayden and Doug Paisley. Definite Neil Young influence going on with Hayden (both the guitar crunch and the piano driven acoustic folk), I could tell the cover was going to be a Neil song before the first note of Powderfinger was played. Doug Paisley brought a more intimate country inflected sound which suited his well penned lyrics perfectly.

Small (45), enthusiastic (but thankfully not energetic) crowd. I guess he was too past his prime for Atomic to be there and the price was too cheap ($12) for Hutch to be there.

hutch

« Reply #475 on: November 13, 2013, 10:20:30 am »
Excellent double bill at DC9 last night of Canadian artists (Sweetcell where were you?). Hayden and Doug Paisley. Definite Neil Young influence going on with Hayden (both the guitar crunch and the piano driven acoustic folk), I could tell the cover was going to be a Neil song before the first note of Powderfinger was played. Doug Paisley brought a more intimate country inflected sound which suited his well penned lyrics perfectly.

Small (45), enthusiastic (but thankfully not energetic) crowd. I guess he was too past his prime for Atomic to be there and the price was too cheap ($12) for Hutch to be there.

before the first note? wow that is good!

actually i was checking out one of my favorite bands last night (flamin groovies)..close by...we could have met up!...I really enjoyed the show but of course I would as they play Chuck Berry music (you know, rock and roll...)... sadly they had sound issues...Chris Wilson kept blaming the sound guy but come on don't you guys soundcheck? U St Hall I think is a problematic venue though... with the show having to be over for the dance party to start...not very rock and rolll..

sidehatch was at hayden  I think though so he can chime in I guess... you probably saw him...stocky balding 40 something dude probably wearing a too tight shirt... ;D

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #476 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:38 am »
Gary Clark played for about an hour and 40 minutes last night. That time FLEW by. I also think he played about 11 songs or so lol every tune broke into a guitar solo. So rad.
‼‼?‼‼

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:44 am »

so much fun.

Nice to hear DC crowds being energetic. I saw Kvelertak at RNR back in spring and the crowd got crazy. But yeah you never know when it will be just a buncha folks standing completely still looking at their iphones. How hot did it get in RNR hotel for this one? I'm betting pits of hell hot!
it was pretty hot. show looked to be fairly close to sold out but there was still plenty of room to move around. i walked to the bar and back up front towards the end of high on fire's set with no problem

would definitely go see kvelertak again on their own. they know how to get a crowd going

Vas Deferens

« Reply #478 on: November 13, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »
dc rock live's review of the Flaming Groovies show:

It is hard to believe this is the first ever show in Washington DC for this band that formed in the 1960s. Granted, their career has not exactly been on a straight trajectory and there were many years of down time, but this rare event did bring out a good crowd tonight. But based on tonight's show, this likely will also be their last show in DC as I doubt too many people would bother coming back. It is a credible line-up with 2-3 long-time members manning the guitars and bass along with a newer drummer. And there was some of their signature energized power pop flair evident in the set. But with the awful, awful sound full of feedback, there were plenty of grumbles on stage and in the crowd. They played a lot of cover songs which was ok, although when they played "Jumpin Jack Flash", it reminded me that I only saw the Stones play this a few months ago. They had a guitar string break (with no back-up), leaving one guitarist to go solo by playing the second Byrds (Dylan penned) song of the night, "Chimes of Freedom". I am not sure there was any magic even early on, but any positive vibes were slipping away, even as some of the crowd was trying to keep it lively. I had to laugh and agree with the shout of "Nooo!" when they said they were going to another Jagger-Richards cut. "Paint It Black" came out and again reminded me of the real deal just this past summer. I decided I had enough and followed a few people out the door, not waiting for the mighty "Shake Some Action".  Serves me right for not following my own advice I wrote only yesterday about shelling out $25 bucks for a name band as opposed to checking out 3-4 bands at the smaller clubs for $8. Oh well.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #479 on: November 13, 2013, 06:21:21 pm »
dc rock live's review of the Flaming Groovies show:

It is hard to believe this is the first ever show in Washington DC for this band that formed in the 1960s. Granted, their career has not exactly been on a straight trajectory and there were many years of down time, but this rare event did bring out a good crowd tonight. But based on tonight's show, this likely will also be their last show in DC as I doubt too many people would bother coming back. It is a credible line-up with 2-3 long-time members manning the guitars and bass along with a newer drummer. And there was some of their signature energized power pop flair evident in the set. But with the awful, awful sound full of feedback, there were plenty of grumbles on stage and in the crowd. They played a lot of cover songs which was ok, although when they played "Jumpin Jack Flash", it reminded me that I only saw the Stones play this a few months ago. They had a guitar string break (with no back-up), leaving one guitarist to go solo by playing the second Byrds (Dylan penned) song of the night, "Chimes of Freedom". I am not sure there was any magic even early on, but any positive vibes were slipping away, even as some of the crowd was trying to keep it lively. I had to laugh and agree with the shout of "Nooo!" when they said they were going to another Jagger-Richards cut. "Paint It Black" came out and again reminded me of the real deal just this past summer. I decided I had enough and followed a few people out the door, not waiting for the mighty "Shake Some Action".  Serves me right for not following my own advice I wrote only yesterday about shelling out $25 bucks for a name band as opposed to checking out 3-4 bands at the smaller clubs for $8. Oh well.

oh my god $25!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definitely not a great show... due to sound issues.. nobody could argue it was..

at the same time very enjoyable for longtime fans and a great show... that probably makes no sense but I'm going with it.... but they certainly wouldn't make any new converts last night

whoever wrote this doesn't know much about the Groovies.. they always play a lot of covers.. all their albums have about half covers.. the later ones even more

I would argue the Groovies made the classic rookie mistake which is kind of hard to understand but I see it all the time and was surprised they fell into the trap.. if you're having feedback and your monitors aren't working so you can't hear yourselves and one guy goes to the sound guy "turn me up!" then the next guy will do the same and the next guy and it just makes things worse.. the sound gets too loud and distorted and the feedback issues get worse.... this is what I thought happened last night.. and when they were having sound issues and feedback from the first note they should have taken five minutes to see if they could fix it.. I'm guessing given the situation (maybe one roadie? a sound guy provided by the house?) they may not have fixed the situation even then...