Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1289916 times)

BookerT

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #555 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »
I think the problem with Malkmus at this point is that he?s having too much of a good time, if that makes any sense. And the persona he?s adopted and what he?s known for ? topical banter, interesting and always-different covers ? lends itself to mediocre shows. The music is secondary to the Malkmus. It?s all very loose and fun but hard to argue all that great. Did we really need a C+ version of ?Beginning to See the Light? and a failed attempt at some ancient Fleetwood Mac song? Probably not, but he likes to jam out with his buddies. I think Pavement came by its disheveled reputation more honestly and then, in fact, wasn?t all that disheveled by the end. Friday?s show was fine but left zero impression and was forgotten by the next day. (Sold-out, late-starting Friday show with a casual band on stage also isn't the great concert environment.) Malkmus?s solo catalogue is, in fact, really excellent and I?d like to see him and the band play it straight for a tour and pick the best songs and just rip through ?em, even if it means skipping the covers or even switching up the set lists all that much from show to show.

Yada

« Reply #556 on: March 03, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »
I think the problem with Malkmus at this point is that he?s having too much of a good time, if that makes any sense. And the persona he?s adopted and what he?s known for ? topical banter, interesting and always-different covers ? lends itself to mediocre shows. The music is secondary to the Malkmus. It?s all very loose and fun but hard to argue all that great. Did we really need a C+ version of ?Beginning to See the Light? and a failed attempt at some ancient Fleetwood Mac song? Probably not, but he likes to jam out with his buddies. I think Pavement came by its disheveled reputation more honestly and then, in fact, wasn?t all that disheveled by the end. Friday?s show was fine but left zero impression and was forgotten by the next day. (Sold-out, late-starting Friday show with a casual band on stage also isn't the great concert environment.) Malkmus?s solo catalogue is, in fact, really excellent and I?d like to see him and the band play it straight for a tour and pick the best songs and just rip through ?em, even if it means skipping the covers or even switching up the set lists all that much from show to show.

Way to put my thoughts down on paper... I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks. I saw you rockin' the Buccos cap on Friday night.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #557 on: March 04, 2014, 03:17:46 pm »
sorry I'm late to the party, but Malkmus was boring. C minus?
(o|o)

« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2014, 01:37:20 pm »
This article says that the "band recently parted company with their bass player Neil Busch due to "severe health problems" so I guess it's a better way of saying it was due to drug problems.
http://www.drownedinsound.com/news/10236-trail-o-dead--lp-delayed-neil-leaves
They went downhill after kicking Neil Busch out of the band.  Every band needs a drug-addled member to keep the creative tension fresh.

Well being this was my first ...AYWKUBTTOTD show...they f'n rocked hard.  Was really a fun show.  My ears are still ringing a bit.  The did Source Tags & Codes from start to finish first then ran through a bunch of other tunes that kept the crowd going berserk.
Had pretty much the entire audience up on stage for the last song, somewhat hokey but at the same time, I really like when a band says FU to the line between the stage and audience

the 'new' bassist (been with them for 10 years now) rocked hard and even did some crowd surfing whilst still rocking the bottom end

Also the RnR hotel moved the ticket booth....so there is a lot more room in the back...so that helps a little, just a little.  Sound was tight thou
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »
their bassist is new-ish.....joined the band in 2011 (I know this cause I was reading wiki yesterday heh)

they sounded great,..was great to hear "Baudelaire" live.
(_|_)

Unsanity

« Reply #560 on: March 29, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »
Its nice to hear Trail of Dead are good live now. I saw them several years ago at Black Cat with Witchcraft and they were mediocre to awful. They had too many people in the band. The sound was a big blob. Crowd didn't seem into it either. I do enjoy the "Source Tags and Codes" era a lot.

emmanuel

« Reply #561 on: March 30, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
Its nice to hear Trail of Dead are good live now. I saw them several years ago at Black Cat with Witchcraft and they were mediocre to awful. They had too many people in the band. The sound was a big blob. Crowd didn't seem into it either. I do enjoy the "Source Tags and Codes" era a lot.

I saw them in 2000-2006 and then this week. I don't think it was a very good show. It was better because they crowd was into it, and they played "Source Tags and Codes" (which is the only reason I went), but otherwise, they had the same musical flaws as the last few shows.

azaghal1981

« Reply #562 on: March 31, 2014, 10:54:45 am »
Downtown Boys have gotten even better. Goddam.

Go see them if you can stomach being in the Blowtel. Opening for EMA who was also great at UHall a while ago.

احمد

stevewizzle

« Reply #563 on: April 04, 2014, 10:45:20 am »
saw future islands last night at the crocodile in seattle. not only were they excellent (the live version of tin man was unreal), the venue was a perfect fit, the merch table repped some DMV gems (peals LP, for instance), and i wore my 930 t-shirt and never have received so many handshakes and fist-bumps in my life.

« Reply #564 on: April 04, 2014, 01:16:53 pm »
and i wore my 930 t-shirt and never have received so many handshakes and fist-bumps in my life.
nice!
slack

James Ford

« Reply #565 on: April 04, 2014, 01:39:25 pm »
maybe they thought you were thatguy

and i wore my 930 t-shirt and never have received so many handshakes and fist-bumps in my life.

stevewizzle

« Reply #566 on: April 04, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »
i'm not sure the point of posting that.

but most people i talked to drooled over the club.  thought it was cool... after i told him it was my first show at the venue, one of the croc workers talked up how great of a club 930 is and they hoped i had a similar experience.  i know it's total SOP on this site to bash DC venues, but most seattle venues pan pretty hard in comparison.

heather

« Reply #567 on: April 04, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
way to rep DC and 9:30! are you visiting or living in seattle?

stevewizzle

« Reply #568 on: April 04, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
way to rep DC and 9:30! are you visiting or living in seattle?

;D live here.  partner moved out for law school, i followed along.

heather

« Reply #569 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:15 pm »
lucky guy! i'm convinced i belong there... hopefully someday!