Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269235 times)

emmanuel

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #675 on: May 09, 2014, 11:15:44 am »
The music sounds like SHIT if you have earplugs in. So much of the sound quality is drowned out.

Why can't the bands just play at lower volumes?

I partially agree, but I do not think it will ever become true in practice. Certainly a few of these bands want to be famous for their "full body experience". And even for instance if Mogwai played half as loud, I would still use earplugs. There are very few rock shows where I don't use earplugs.

That's one of the reason I record shows, it is sometimes much better on the recording, at a decent level, and without earplugs of course.

slappy

« Reply #676 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:47 am »
Even more, I can't understand why bands like Mogwai, or the venue/promoter, are not offering free earplugs at the door. Some bands did that lately, although I can't remember who.
MBV does. If you're playing loud enough to need earplugs, you better make sure you're compensating for it. The 'Holocaust section' of 'You Made Me Realise' is worth the earplugs.
Mogwai, MBV, and Motörhead are about the only bands I have no problems wearing earplugs.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #677 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:49 am »
The music sounds like SHIT if you have earplugs in. So much of the sound quality is drowned out.

They have earplugs that dont "drown out the sound quality."  But you have to pay good money for them.  I have a pair of Westone earplugs.  The earplugs were custom fitted to my ears.  And they have a filter (-25 db).  What it does is lower the volume, without compromising the sound.  I had to go to an audiologist to get mine made.  They ran me about $150 for the earplugs and filters.  Replacement filters run $35 per filter.  I recommend them to anyone who goes to a lot of shows, wants to retain their hearing, and wants to hear all of the performance with no blocking. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #678 on: May 09, 2014, 11:57:50 am »
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399650659&sr=8-1&keywords=etymotic+ear+plugs

For a more affordable but great ear plug, I recommend these. You can adjust how much sound you want to drown out...I find them to be really durable and excellent. If you find most ear plugs make the music sound bad, give these a try.

Yada

« Reply #679 on: May 09, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »
sweetcell recommended a good pair a few weeks ago to me that I purchased... I think they were roughly $15 a did a helluva job compared to my old **block out snoring sounds** ear plugs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:23:57 pm by Yada »

hutch

« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:22 pm »

completely agree. although i understand if you use professional high grade plugs maybe it sounds better? to me with regular ear plugs it just sounds so muffled...too bassy.. you lose all the treble or highs...i hate it..

its just plain negligent for bands to play music too loud so it hurts people and takes away their hearing or gives them tinnitus for life...

if you're going to do that you should have to warn people before the show and give them free earplugs....good ones too!...honestly maybe even print it on the tickets in big red letters.. they sure tell us we can't take pictures or anything ..they have no problems putting signs about that or having a disclaimer about this or that..but when it comes to people's hearing NOTHING.

everyone is an inexperienced concertgoer at some point! not to mention alcohol is so often involved with people's concertgoing that people are not necessarily making the brightest decisions...

here lets put on a show for you, have bars everywhere and blow out the sound for you! you're welcome!

everytime you hear ringing in your ears the next day that ain't the weather report..its permanent hearing loss.. it might not mean that much to you now but i sure do believe its going to add up when you're older....

the soundmen should really be held liable....at the end of the day they are the ones..they can say they are following the orders

the worst are the amateurish bands where one prima donna wants to be heard over the rest.. so then the other schmoe is like "no , turn me up soundman!" and it goes on like that until by the end its insanely loud and distorted all around

bearman🐻

« Reply #681 on: May 09, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

the soundmen should really be held liable....at the end of the day they are the ones..they can say they are following the orders

the worst are the amateurish bands where one prima donna wants to be heard over the rest.. so then the other schmoe is like "no , turn me up soundman!" and it goes on like that until by the end its insanely loud and distorted all around

I disagree. A soundman's job is to do the best with what he/she has to work with. It's a tough and thankless job because one spot in the room may sound great while other spots may be abysmal. Many times they're at the mercy of the band that is employing them. Holding them liable is ridiculous. No one buys a ticket to see a soundman do his or her job.

hutch

« Reply #682 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:48 pm »

I disagree. A soundman's job is to do the best with what he/she has to work with. It's a tough and thankless job because one spot in the room may sound great while other spots may be abysmal. Many times they're at the mercy of the band that is employing them. Holding them liable is ridiculous. No one buys a ticket to see a soundman do his or her job.

at the end of the day they should not  move the knobs to a level that hurts people...

i don't believe in "due obedience" when it hurts others... 

of course its not all black and white.. if you're that guy standing next to the speakers all night long well whaddaya expect?

matts

« Reply #683 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:43 pm »

at the end of the day they should not  move the knobs to a level that hurts people...

i don't believe in "due obedience" when it hurts others... 

of course its not all black and white.. if you're that guy standing next to the speakers all night long well whaddaya expect?

Maybe the knobs should stop at 9.

« Reply #684 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »
Looking into some of those better plugs you guys recommended
these plugs look nice and have a good carrying case

I truly hate what the cheapo plugs do to the sound
I found myself taking them out a couple times as just sounded like I was listening to a band in another room.
slack

« Reply #685 on: May 09, 2014, 04:20:21 pm »
.. if you're that guy standing next to the speakers all night long well whaddaya expect?

you tend to be that guy at 930 shows  :-\
slack

atomic

« Reply #686 on: May 09, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »
Hutch was the one who argued with me about Jesus and Mary Chain not being too loud and he was wearing ear plugs.  I agree with James that bands shouldn't play so loud that you need ear plugs. I  have never used any.  Only a couple of bands have played so loud that I wish I had them.  Jesus and Mary Chains recent show and Soundgarden show back in the early 90's come to mind off hand. 

hutch

« Reply #687 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »
.. if you're that guy standing next to the speakers all night long well whaddaya expect?

you tend to be that guy at 930 shows  :-\

geez can't get away with anything!  ;D

but with all due respect I wear earplugs...

hutch

« Reply #688 on: May 09, 2014, 08:37:22 pm »
Hutch was the one who argued with me about Jesus and Mary Chain not being too loud and he was wearing ear plugs.  I agree with James that bands shouldn't play so loud that you need ear plugs. I  have never used any.  Only a couple of bands have played so loud that I wish I had them.  Jesus and Mary Chains recent show and Soundgarden show back in the early 90's come to mind off hand. 

lies lies lies!!!  ;D :D ;)

you said that it was so loud that the sound was all distorted and you couldn't hear the vocals... i said that was not true.... i then said i had some video and i had watched it and the vocals where clear.. however, i would not be surprised if the sound mix got more messed up or if it was different where you were standing...

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2014, 01:33:00 pm »
Maybe the knobs should stop at 9.

But these go to 11.