Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268521 times)

James Ford

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #735 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:29 am »
I think the Old 97's/Lydia Loveless show Saturday probably had the highest percentage of 40+ dorks of any club show I've ever been to in DC. It was really quite endearding to see so many middle aged people digging a show, with numerous aging bladder breaks being taken.

Lydia and her band were a whole hairy mess of fun. The set focused on her most recent album and ep. Wish they had played some older stuff, but maybe she'll be back in the area as a headliner and break some of the old stuff out.

Old 97's played with renewed energy. Rhett is still an amazing frontman, even at the old age of 42. I really love their new album from front to back, They played 8 of the 12 songs on it, I was sad they left a couple of my favorites off the set list. Great selection of 20 older songs, and a Clash cover to boot.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #736 on: June 02, 2014, 10:34:08 am »
MAN! Red Fang was freaking AWESOME. They went on early and played for about an hour and 10 minutes or so? Lots of stuff off the new album, but they played their old stuff so huge. So much energy. The crowd wasn't as aggressive as I thought they were going to be. I stayed near the back, but was still jumping around having a blast. No encore, which I was bummed about, but still very awesome. One weird thing about the show, I think the opening band was LOUDER than Red Fang was... Their music was also incoherent as hell. It sounded like something that was clearly meant to be recorded and listened to and not experienced.... Regardless, fun time.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #737 on: June 02, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
even at the old age of 42.

you're joking right?

« Reply #738 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »
even at the old age of 42.

you're joking right?
You mean he doesn't look like this anymore

this is the shot, but can't get it to work in here
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/117445502756717842/
slack

Unsanity

« Reply #739 on: June 03, 2014, 03:09:27 am »
MAN! Red Fang was freaking AWESOME. They went on early and played for about an hour and 10 minutes or so? Lots of stuff off the new album, but they played their old stuff so huge. So much energy. The crowd wasn't as aggressive as I thought they were going to be. I stayed near the back, but was still jumping around having a blast. No encore, which I was bummed about, but still very awesome. One weird thing about the show, I think the opening band was LOUDER than Red Fang was... Their music was also incoherent as hell. It sounded like something that was clearly meant to be recorded and listened to and not experienced.... Regardless, fun time.

Red Fang was indeed awesome. My forth time seeing them but first time as a headliner. Big Business indeed was louder than them. They were too loud and screechy but I am sure that was the venue's fault. RNR Hotel does that. Big Biz always have either equipment or sound problems and that show had both. Luckily the sound mix was pretty on point for Red Fang. American Sharks were a fun band to watch out for, they really reminded me of bands like Valient Thorr and Bad Wizard. Did you get the free 7'' from Red Fang?

azaghal1981

« Reply #740 on: June 03, 2014, 09:31:19 am »
That was a pretty excellent Priests set. Maybe their biggest show to date and they brought it. Pinkwash were great, too. The Shondes were also entertaining.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:52 am »

Red Fang was indeed awesome. My forth time seeing them but first time as a headliner. Big Business indeed was louder than them. They were too loud and screechy but I am sure that was the venue's fault. RNR Hotel does that. Big Biz always have either equipment or sound problems and that show had both. Luckily the sound mix was pretty on point for Red Fang. American Sharks were a fun band to watch out for, they really reminded me of bands like Valient Thorr and Bad Wizard. Did you get the free 7'' from Red Fang?
I didn't get the 7" because I don't have a record player. I heard some of the songs on the Scion Soundcloud though. One of them was a free download, I believe.

Oh, here it is! https://soundcloud.com/#scionav/red-fang-meadows
‼‼?‼‼

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »
That was a pretty excellent Priests set. Maybe their biggest show to date and they brought it. Pinkwash were great, too. The Shondes were also entertaining.

Priests were really good except for butchering a really catchy song by swapping instruments.  Shame about rhat.

Openers were ok but Shondes came across like they were trying too hard.

azaghal1981

« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:04 pm »
I think I know what you're talking about although it was only the beginning and they were able to get it back together quickly enough.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #744 on: June 05, 2014, 09:25:23 am »
How was Frankie Turner?
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #745 on: June 05, 2014, 11:21:30 am »
How was Frankie Turner?

Sidehatch has a nice picture to share with us today...... :)

« Reply #746 on: June 05, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »
How was Frankie Turner?

Show was f'n awesome.  1200 people singing along to every one of his songs. 
It was supremely packed, but everyone was dancing and having a great time
Mix was great and you didn't need earplugs!

set list was great
Played two new ones 40andLove and Get Better, which were great
'Tattoos' is really one of my faves that was only on the 'deluxe' edt. of TDH and I'm so glad he played (ironically I'm tattooless)
Just like at the Fillmore, he name dropped the 930 club in Wessex boy 'when I'm here I'm home"
and of course the crowed roared when he sang the line in 'the road'   "..the punks in old DC"

But the moment that everyone was waiting for was the encore, where he talked about josh burdette and how much he meant to him.  Then he said it was appropriate for him to record the 'song for josh' live at the 9:30 (or half past 9 as I've seen it referenced)  It was awesome and sad and the crowd just was transfixed and silent.  So glad there were no 'yeah' or other stupid exclamations during the song.  Looking forward to that recording.  Then he went in to 'I still believe' and '4 simple words'  which are just perfect songs as send up for josh and to end the night

An being the perfect gentleman rock star...came out to see the fans who waited after the show in the rain...where I got a sig on my tix and a nice photo inside the satellite room

hutch wanted to know if FT sold his soul to bud light...but I just think a roadie handed it to him
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:23:42 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #747 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:34 pm »
I enjoyed the Frank Turner.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqCVghQ717I

Yada

« Reply #748 on: June 05, 2014, 12:46:28 pm »
How was Frankie Turner?

Show was f'n awesome.  1200 people singing along to every one of his songs. 
It was supremely packed, but everyone was dancing and having a great time
Mix was great and you didn't need earplugs!

set list was great
Played two new ones 40andLove and Get Better, which were great
'Tattoos' is really one of my faves that was only on the 'deluxe' edt. of TDH and I'm so glad he played (ironically I'm tattooless)
Just like at the Fillmore, he name dropped the 930 club in Wessex boy 'when I'm here I'm home"
and of course the crowed roared when he sang the line in 'the road'   "..the punks in old DC"

But the moment that everyone was waiting for was the encore, where he talked about josh burdette and how much he meant to him.  Then he said it was appropriate for him to record the 'song for josh' live at the 9:30 (or half past 9 as I've seen it referenced)  It was awesome and sad and the crowd just was transfixed and silent.  So glad there were no 'yeah' or other stupid exclamations during the song.  Looking forward to that recording.  Then he went in to 'I still believe' and '4 simple words'  which are just perfect songs as send up for josh and to end the night

An being the perfect gentleman rock star...came out to see the fans who waited after the show in the rain...where I got a sig on my tix and a nice photo inside the satellite room

hutch wanted to know if FT sold his soul to bud light...but I just think a roadie handed it to him

does james approve of frank's thriftiness in having a cheap beer or disapprove of his choice in shitty beer?

cool review... I went to see Ray Lamontange with my wife last night and both him and Jason Isabel were boring as all hell. However!!!! James would be happy to know that due to scalpers being a little too overzealous, I was able to sit dead center, row m, for $20 a ticket.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #749 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »
im sorry, but who is, frank turner?  i must, be dumb.