Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1296479 times)

betao

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2235 on: September 26, 2016, 09:40:08 am »
That's too bad. They seemed to be enjoying themselves onstage big time.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2236 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:46 am »

Yes...it's just unfortunate though. Band dynamics are complicated. People are complicated. I get the sense that this was a way to properly close the chapter and feel like they did something good. It satisfied their desire to finish their story and end on a happier note. I respect and admire that in a way. But it also feels like there was more there...more good music, more great gigs. Maybe they'll change their minds. But for now, that's highly unlikely.

hutch

« Reply #2237 on: September 26, 2016, 10:15:11 am »
Money is also an issue in many reunions.. the first go around reunion tour everybody goes because its been 20 years and people been waiting....  its hard to keep going after that financially... particularly given in most cases some if not all band members have had to get regular day jobs and find a career to support themselves....

The Pixies had the fan base and new fans enough to keep touring profitably for years but most bands aren't that way....

Luna is a good case in point.. their first show back at the 930 last year was pretty well attended (I don't believe it sold out)... this year they are playing the Birchmere and that is not sold out.. Many of my friends are Luna fans who saw them multiple times in the 1990s but I don't know if any of them are planning to go to this show on Thursday....for the reunion show at the 930 Club last year we got like 20 people! but its like seeing them once got the need out of their system.......and they have other priorities now...

American fans are notoriously fickle.. many American bands that do these reunions actually make their money touring Japan, Spain or wherever.....there the fans kind of keep going and don't seem to go into this "oh i'm too old for concerts..." crap...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:23:32 am by hutch »

bearman🐻

« Reply #2238 on: September 26, 2016, 10:23:12 am »
Hutch is right. Money IS an issue for some bands...people have houses, kids, responsibilities and lives outside of music. Your career has to be strong enough so that your job is sustainable for long-term. Touring is tough but it's the only way to keep making money, and the merch that goes with it helps. I'm going to try to see Luna, assuming I'm not working. I'm glad to see they're giving it another shot. That's the one good thing about festivals...they usually pay bands well and it seems to help give some of them a longer life span. Although someone told me this year lower tier bands don't get paid at Coachella...they're playing for the privilege and prestige of exposure, and artists now sell their wristbands to young Hollywood brats for thousands of dollars in order to make money. That's really crummy.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2239 on: September 26, 2016, 10:33:17 am »
Hutch is right.
Look, we're all upset Lush is ending it after this tour, but let's not say things we're going to regret.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #2240 on: September 26, 2016, 11:05:00 am »
Hutch is right.
Look, we're all upset Lush is ending it after this tour, but let's not say things we're going to regret.

Haha...Hutch has always been nothing but super cool with me. I'm like the Switzerland of the board. I try to get along with everyone. I've got great chocolate and they wrote "Smoke on the Water" after me. Although I'd like to be like Italy. The food is better there.

andyrichter

« Reply #2241 on: September 26, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »

Yes...it's just unfortunate though. Band dynamics are complicated. People are complicated. I get the sense that this was a way to properly close the chapter and feel like they did something good. It satisfied their desire to finish their story and end on a happier note. I respect and admire that in a way. But it also feels like there was more there...more good music, more great gigs. Maybe they'll change their minds. But for now, that's highly unlikely.

:-[ That really is too bad.  I really hope they change their minds but now I know not to get my hopes up. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #2242 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:53 am »
On KCRW yesterday Miki said that they're going to take some time to regroup...I suspect that at this point, the band is thinking no more tours and this is it. But who knows. I'm hopeful that there will be more opportunities for them if they get paid well enough. Lush is a great band and though they landed on the second Lollapalooza, their career has never really been managed particularly well and they've never had a master plan. Maybe that's part of why it's difficult for them to see what their future is. Missing that first Coachella weekend was unfortunate because there was good money there. But it just wasn't in the cards. Obtaining visas for musicians has become so tricky these days, and expensive too.

matts

« Reply #2243 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:11 am »
Jeff the Brotherhood at Black Cat backstage was great - much more edge than previous shows.  I think they have been listening to a lot of Melvins lately.

hutch

« Reply #2244 on: September 28, 2016, 12:37:45 am »
there was rock and roll tonight!!!!!!! woot

hutch

« Reply #2245 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:22 am »
I had the best time at the Dandy Warhols show last night in Baltimore...

so much fun.. they're such great guys too...

shemptiness

« Reply #2246 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:37 am »

I must have seen you - there weren't many of us there.

hutch

« Reply #2247 on: September 28, 2016, 02:32:11 pm »

I must have seen you - there weren't many of us there.

you weren't that guy that tried to get in front of me? I had to administer a beat down... you probably heard me yelling at him...

I really respect the Dandys for putting on a full show given you have to wonder how many people even bought their tickets... when I picked up my tickets it looked like they had a few pages of comps.... they may have sold 300 if that?

I wanted to buy one of the t-shirts but I just can't justify $30...

I absolutely love that venue.. I've seen Taj Mahal, Lucinda Williams and now the Dandys just in the past few months.. all a great time..

NSF?: Zia is pretty hot bangin' that tambourine on her ass....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2248 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:43 pm »
NSF?: Zia is pretty hot bangin' that tambourine on her ass....
I remember they were playing 9:30 circa-2003 and RustyOrgan (I'm 99% sure it was RO) showed up and asked "does the chick take her top off during concerts still" and we properly fisked him. (Not that your comment was offensive, it just made me remember him doing that.)
LVMH

bob72

« Reply #2249 on: September 29, 2016, 12:54:13 am »
I almost skipped Buzzcocks, and now I am so glad I went. Hands down my favorite show this year and here's why:
1. Shelley and Diggle were totally in to it and looked like they were actually having fun and not phoning it in
2. The crowd was WAY into it. With the exception of Flag, this is the first show I've seen in a long time where the crowd was not standing arms crossed silently judging the band. Lots of singing along and dancing
3. This was my first exposure to Residuels and I look forward to hearing more from them

And best of all... Pete Shelley plays a cheap $200 guitar. Love that.
PENIS