Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268526 times)

Bags

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2400 on: February 09, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »
^^^ ha!!.... I know Pat a little bit through my friend Joe, who Pat was actually acknowledging in that exchange, he's the hardcore fan.... I'm a step down from "hardcore", I just always have a great time at a Smithereens show...  last night was no exception.... one good thing about going to the State Theater half of the annual State Theater/Rams Head weekend is that since they're only doing one show in Falls Church, they go all out, the show was about 2:40ish long.... Mike was definitely having a great time and it was great having him there.... last year, Pat didn't have the use of one arm due to a fall, he told us it was because he fell down on the ice and had nerve damage.... this time, it seemed like he didn't have the use of either arm, so it seems like there's something seriously wrong.....
Dammit, shoulda gone.  They come through yearly (or more?), so I see them about every third time.  But always, always enjoy.  I should go every time....ah well.  Glad it was good for y'all who went all the way out to State Theatre.

Kubacheck

« Reply #2401 on: February 09, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »
they tend to come through twice a year.... they always play the State Theater/Rams Head on a weekend in January/Early Feb, and also have been playing the Tally Ho in Leesburg and another local venue sometime during the summer....

^^^ ha!!.... I know Pat a little bit through my friend Joe, who Pat was actually acknowledging in that exchange, he's the hardcore fan.... I'm a step down from "hardcore", I just always have a great time at a Smithereens show...  last night was no exception.... one good thing about going to the State Theater half of the annual State Theater/Rams Head weekend is that since they're only doing one show in Falls Church, they go all out, the show was about 2:40ish long.... Mike was definitely having a great time and it was great having him there.... last year, Pat didn't have the use of one arm due to a fall, he told us it was because he fell down on the ice and had nerve damage.... this time, it seemed like he didn't have the use of either arm, so it seems like there's something seriously wrong.....
Dammit, shoulda gone.  They come through yearly (or more?), so I see them about every third time.  But always, always enjoy.  I should go every time....ah well.  Glad it was good for y'all who went all the way out to State Theatre.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2402 on: February 14, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
Another fun, high energy Parquet Courts show.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2403 on: February 14, 2017, 10:51:35 am »
Did they get a good crowd?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2404 on: February 14, 2017, 11:06:09 am »
Not close to selling out, but I thought it was a pretty good crowd; much bigger than Baltimore.  I was up front so didn't get clear view to the back of the floor.  I think there was room back by the soundboard, and upstairs wasn't crowded at all...maybe 3 deep at the railings.

gavroche

« Reply #2405 on: March 07, 2017, 08:16:14 am »
I caught the Sunday Flaming Lips show. I knew it was unlikely, but deep down I was hoping they would leave all the props behind and just be a rock band for a couple of nights.  It most definitely didn't happen.  Really, exactly the opposite.  They basically took their festival show and brought it into the club.  It was fun, though the pauses for setup kind of sapped the energy and it was such a visual thing that they could have basically played any songs.  Doesn't help that 90% of the audience really only knows Yoshimi these days.  For a full house it wasn't too crowded on the floor.  I feel like having seen the Kusama exhibit earlier in the day at that Hirshhorn gave some interesting context to the whole thing.

Anyway, I had a good time and enjoyed myself.  I'd still like to see the Flaming Lips just be a rock band once, but that seems unlikely.  I don't think I need to see them again for another decade or so though.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2406 on: March 07, 2017, 01:12:45 pm »
Uhm, ok.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2407 on: March 07, 2017, 04:16:36 pm »
my simple review of the show.  they never disappoint.  though I whole heartily disagree with the notion that the band could just come out and play a stripped down show, as if somehow that would make for a more incredible sound quality experience . . . I do think it would be interesting to see what they would give as a set list of deeper cuts to fill the times of no theatrics.  With this band, yes you need all the glimmer and glam, the zaniness and the spectacle, the people out there feeling something incredible to be apart of and not just coming to see another show, or by the looks of a few of the people around me, their first show period.

some bands shoot for that one moment of the show, usually near the end, to make you leave with something to remember.  The Flaming Lips drug fuck you right from the moment Wayne says, "all right, let's go, I think we're ready."   The horse, the ball, the gong, the ropes of light, the balloons, the fuck yeah dc thing, the lights and lasers and glimpses into the future.  That what the hell outfit thing that looked liked wads of chewed gum on his head and arms.  the set list, was yes, the hits for the kids mainly, but mixed with the effects and the emotions you are awashed in from just being there . . . it was ok they played what they did.  david bowie was nice.

I was sad, I missed any members of the forum gang.  I got there a good twenty or so minutes before the first band went on, and there was a small crowd. Black jacket with hood, my totes fav. flaming lips "Give yourself some head / The Fags" shirt on.  I went downstairs and there was like two women at the bar talking, and nobody else.  I went upstairs and walked around, had my 1 of 2 beers for the evening and had to deal with that it was 60 minute ipa from the bottom bar.  by the time I saw someone's post that they were at the food food bar, it was too late.  I was in my spot, right hand side near the angle of the bar and the water; my favorite spot for ease of having great sight line and back stepping to the bar before it gets way too crowded.  I had my second beer and the show was under way.  Never got to meet JULIAN, never got to meet the rest of the powerhouse team of forum elite individuals.  Afterwards I was tired, and only cared about looking down the block for a cab.  Plus, I hated the merch. 

the end.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #2408 on: March 07, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
all in all, very nice birthday.  the meet up would have been the icing.  old favorite hotel that must have sold to new owners for it is remodeled and nice, plus an old stand by classic restaurant for us.  it was like stepping back in time before the show, then being propelled towards infinity while at the show, all and all on your birth,day.

the end, again.

edit . . . while at the restaurant, I saw this guy who I could have swore was seth.  I kept staring and was caught, so I quit staring, until I started staring again.  but I don't think it really was him, but boy did it look like him.  even the guys that look like him, are good looking.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:32:36 pm by walkie,talkie »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2409 on: March 09, 2017, 10:42:30 am »
Late Report from last week at Slash/Run.

Saw
The Stents
The Figgs
The Split Squad

Arrived around 9:15, the place was packed. It was trivia night. Took the only 2 seats available, and placed a food order.  Band(s) started coming in, looking around, looking dismayed, eyeballed where they could set up. Around 9:30 trivia ended, and they restaurant workers started clearing the tables, extending the stage.
The trivia players cleared-out. Leaving around a dozen people.
By around 10, still not food arrived. Bands close to finishing set up. All hands on deck for the set up, except for Clem Burke, Blondie's/Split Squad's drummer and legend.
Food arrives right as The Stents start. around 10:20pm. An hour to get a so-so veggie burger and waffle fries.
The Stents are fun, surf-rock, dad-pop-punk from Baltimore. Have trouble with their guitar-straps though.
The Figgs set up and play a fun set. I don't remember any technical glitches. Was their first appearance in DC in around a dozen years? Sorry I had not seen them before.
Then, The Split Squad gets ready; all except Clem. He has the only roadie/tech out of all of the bands. The bands are sharing the drum kit, except cymbals and pedals(?), so he does his thing, checks it, checks it again, for awhile ... so long that Clem seems unhappy, sits on the bass-drum while the tech finishes.
Finally, the band starts. They sound great. Within 15 seconds, the floor-tom starts collapsing. Clem tries to fix it while drumming one-handed. Cannot. Angrily shoves it out of the way. Tech has a bad angle, so doesn't realize the problem for too long. Finally understands what is happening and scrambles in to fix it. After that, the guitarist, Eddie Munoz (from The Plimsouls) has massive feedback problem with his amp. Gig almost scuttled.
But while they could hold it together, the band played some fun songs, and Clem showed that he was a great drummer. He fucking drove that kit into the ground and was a solid motor for the band. Keith Streng (Fleshtones) played the room as if he were at Madison Square Garden, all leg kicks, stage jumps, etc. Josh Kantor from the Baseball Project and Fenway Park organist, was good, but his keyboard was low in the "mix."
Show over around 12:30.
Final Show rating:  ;D :( :o 8) 8)

hutch

« Reply #2410 on: March 09, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »
Clem rocks..

He's even played drums for Bob Dylan!

bearman🐻

« Reply #2411 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:59 am »
The Split Squad did a free show last weekend at Dogfish Head in Rehoboth. I was out there but too beat to attend. I've seen them there before (opening for the Fleshtones) and they're a fun band. I have their record and it's tuneful and fun...nothing totally brilliant, but sometimes it's nice to just put on some fun music while you do other stuff. They're a great bar band. And I agree, Clem really still has it. He's a true rock'n'roller.

Kubacheck

« Reply #2412 on: March 28, 2017, 10:07:44 pm »
saw the Allah-Las last night.... fun show, I love that old timey garage band jangly guitar sound.... they kinda reminded me of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, although not as good as the BJM.... show sold ok, not too crowded.... we went upstairs and had plenty of elbow room, which was nice....

Yada

« Reply #2413 on: March 29, 2017, 08:59:42 am »
saw the Allah-Las last night.... fun show, I love that old timey garage band jangly guitar sound.... they kinda reminded me of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, although not as good as the BJM.... show sold ok, not too crowded.... we went upstairs and had plenty of elbow room, which was nice....

I never even heard of these guys until like a week ago, pretty cool sound. Ever listen to The Growlers?

Bagley

« Reply #2414 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »