Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268173 times)

Kubacheck

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2415 on: March 29, 2017, 04:13:55 pm »
saw the Allah-Las last night.... fun show, I love that old timey garage band jangly guitar sound.... they kinda reminded me of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, although not as good as the BJM.... show sold ok, not too crowded.... we went upstairs and had plenty of elbow room, which was nice....

I never even heard of these guys until like a week ago, pretty cool sound. Ever listen to The Growlers?

no, but I'll check them out....

Bagley

« Reply #2416 on: March 29, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
saw the Allah-Las last night.... fun show, I love that old timey garage band jangly guitar sound.... they kinda reminded me of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, although not as good as the BJM.... show sold ok, not too crowded.... we went upstairs and had plenty of elbow room, which was nice....

thanks for the heads up.... Like the sound of this one> 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBoBsUx5fs

Dig that Velvety twang!

Kubacheck

« Reply #2417 on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:06 pm »

thanks for the heads up.... Like the sound of this one> 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBoBsUx5fs

Dig that Velvety twang!

we watched the show from the balcony, stood on the raised "steps" on the left, only the people on the rail in front of us and no one behind us.... so when the band finished their main set, the two people in front of me on the rail bailed so i moved up and shot this one vid since I could rest my phone on the rail and not have the vid be all shaky.....

hutch

« Reply #2418 on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:49 am »
i got gizzed...

dyecraig

« Reply #2419 on: April 01, 2017, 08:34:28 am »
zoso the ultimate led zeppelin experience at the state theater.
my expectations were meh, but it was like 1973 all over again.
they had the gear, the chops, the look, the setlist, etc.
so much fun, i needed this.
coming back to tally ho leesburg 5.19
a few videos, etc. on my IG @dyepics

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2420 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:19 am »
The Decemberists basically just refuse to acknowledge that their first three LPs are better than anything they've put out since.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2421 on: April 14, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »
Lsdt night new order at radio city from 2 row....wow...including love vigilantes

« Reply #2422 on: April 14, 2017, 10:40:24 pm »
Lsdt night new order at radio city from 2 row....wow...including love vigilantes
jealous!
slack

Kubacheck

« Reply #2423 on: April 16, 2017, 11:18:02 am »
the Wedding Present show at the RNR Hotel was pretty good.... good sized crowd, a little chatty though, and the sound was decent, I thought.....metal detecting wand for security, wasn't expecting that for such a small club.... some dude held a camera up in the air on a monopod for like half the show filming, don't know if he was "official" or just a hobbyist, but he stopped about halfway through and left.....  a few people were yelling out for "Corduroy" periodically, David finally said they "don't do requests"... he also said that for those of us that have never seen them before, they don't do an encore either, which was fine by me, maybe we got an extra song out of the time usually spent going off and coming back on.... also kinda funny, I've only been to the RNR Hotel twice, once back in 2012 for the Crystal Stilts and now for the Wedding Present last friday.... both shows were on Apr 14.... I guess I had a 1/365 shot at that statistical oddity happening but it came in...

heff

« Reply #2424 on: April 17, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
Re: the Wedding Present
I liked the show a bit more.  Lately, the sound has been pretty good at the hotel so no complaints there.  My only exposure to the Wedding Present is "George Best" and "Watusi" so I don't know much about their noisier stuff but based on the selection Friday night it was very good.  I always like when a band plays a good chunk of their new album, makes me feel like they're proud of their work.  Good stuff as well!  I was up near the front so I didn't see the guy filming.  Actually, it was a good crowd, no one pushing to the front and space between each other - a benefit of shows that attract the older crowd, I guess.

The hotel has been wanding people for a little while now, I a little surprised that other clubs haven't started doing something like it.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2425 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:52 am »
The hotel has been wanding people for a little while now, I a little surprised that other clubs haven't started doing something like it.
The National in Richmond has went full on airport style metal detectors and wands and requiring people to empty their pockets into trays in the last couple of months. No idea what brought about such a dramatic upgrade in security as I hadn't heard of any incidents at the venue.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2426 on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:50 am »
I really dislike wanding and metal detectors...

Space Freely

« Reply #2427 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:21 am »
I really dislike wanding and metal detectors...

I'll bet your detachable penis really drives those things bonkers.

I'm not a fan either. Add x-ray machines to the list. They prevent me from going and buying rare beer on my lunch break and bringing it into the building to bring home. Another way the terrorists have won.

hutch

« Reply #2428 on: April 17, 2017, 10:39:28 am »
It just makes it even less likely I will ever go to those venues....

Kubacheck

« Reply #2429 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »
Re: the Wedding Present
I liked the show a bit more.  Lately, the sound has been pretty good at the hotel so no complaints there.  My only exposure to the Wedding Present is "George Best" and "Watusi" so I don't know much about their noisier stuff but based on the selection Friday night it was very good.  I always like when a band plays a good chunk of their new album, makes me feel like they're proud of their work.  Good stuff as well!  I was up near the front so I didn't see the guy filming.  Actually, it was a good crowd, no one pushing to the front and space between each other - a benefit of shows that attract the older crowd, I guess.

I think this is from the guy I saw filming...

https://youtu.be/wMCg65lyV2Y